DIY ISP?

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

DIY ISP?

Post by Adagio »

Well, A friend of mine and I want to start up a tiny local ISP... Just for us and a few people in the area...

Safe to say, us and Telkom had more than one little falling out... Despite the lines being down constantly, and the oh so reliable service.

I can rent a 50MB Fiber Line for about R1500(I'm guessing that excludes an ISP) And the routing will be done wirelessly through Ubiquiti Point to Point network(We're already going to put up the network for the CCTV system we're putting in...)

I want to know what I need to do on the distribution side of things... The Ubiquiti's UI has some throttling capabilities. I could manage it that way... Otherwise I need to use a server?

I don't know...

Any advice?
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Re: DIY ISP?

Post by Randall »

You will need an MPLS grade connection into your ISP at the tier level.
Then there are several options for managing, shaping and overall tracking of the traffic, which can be handled in many cases with Open Source Software.

There is someone you can ask for advice.. Shaun Kaplan... goes by the handle of DJ... on Mybroadband.co.za. He isn't a bad person, but beware, he is a hive-minder.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

There'll probably net even be 10 people on the network...
But I'll need to do more reasearch about this stuff... I have no idea what a MPLS connection is...

Hardware wise? Will I need a server?

Could I just use receiver throttling?
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

For less than 10 people, one answer: A good Mikrotik router
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Sonic2k wrote:For less than 10 people, one answer: A good Mikrotik router
Ehhhhh... No.... The fiber line doesn't go to our home... So we need to bounce it to a nearby hill, and the distribute it to the places it needs to go...(In excess of 500Meters)

My friend is an agent with a supplier for Ubiquity products... So the distribution isn't the problem... It's the management...