Google Drive Linux

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Indecipherable
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Google Drive Linux

Post by Indecipherable »

Google neglected to provide a client for their cloud hosting service, [Google] Drive, despite the Linux community reminding them for years... but I guess they are focused on Android - it's their horse in the smartphone market and they are capitalising off of it, after all.

There are 3 main alternatives available:-
  1. Grive - Two-way syncing between a local point and the user's (g)drive.
  • Insync - Feature-packed, auto-sync, available for Windows, Mac OS and Linux... except it's not free.
  • Ocaml-fuse - Google drive ocaml-fuse. Implements FUSE and allows you to mount your (g)drive as if it were a local device. [Setup]
I personally use the last method. Hardly experienced any problems with it and treating the (g)drive as a local directory structure comes in pretty handy as it becomes subservient to the terminal and Bash magic is never too far away))

Just my 2 cents' worth of info in case somebody needs it.
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-Norman Cousins

Steam
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Google Drive Linux

Post by Leeward »

I'm sure they provide some sort of API if you want to make your own utility application/service?