Amahi on laptop with busted screen

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Amahi on laptop with busted screen

Post by Adagio »

Hiya guys.. I'd like to make a NAS out of an laptop I got for fixing someone elses computer...
It has no Hard drive and the screen is cracked badly... so at the moment I cant install Amahi... an external monitor works but Amahi uses it as an extended monitor... So all I get as an black screen with a cursor I can more around...

I wan't to install it on an 8GB memory Stick.. This should be possible but i don't know if i can actually do this...

Google has no answers to my problem in this case...

Any advice? Thanks!
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Re: Amahi on laptop with busted screen

Post by Fluke »

You don't need that much RAM for a NAS.
And a laptop as a NAS sounds pretty unreliable to be honest. I wouldn't do it.
On-top of that you will have no good way to attach storage devices and setup a hardware RAID system.

If you want a simple NAS, just buy a Synology unit and install some WD Red 2x4TB drives in RAID1.

And if you don't want to do the above, then just do what I do and put tons of HDDs in your desktop and share them on the network.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Amahi on laptop with busted screen

Post by Adagio »

Ok... IF I had that kind of money... Thats what I'd do... But right now... Lets go with what I have... I have Amahi and 2 external hard drives... Thats all....