SSD advice

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Dredge
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Rabbit
Region: Gauteng

SSD advice

Post by Dredge »

Hi there!

It's been a couple of years since I last worked with computers, so I've fallen behind on the technical side of things and need some advice/opinions

I'm tired of the slowness that is game-loading and just my rig in general, so I want to give an SSD a go--> Pretty much settled on this guy: http://www.wootware.co.za/transcend-ssd ... drive.html as he seems to be on the better side of capacity:performance:price

When it next comes in to stock it will jump to ~R707

I'm not looking for super-speed or a massive amount of storage, just space for essential software; certain resource-intensive games and a nice boost in load-times for games like Battlefield and a significant improvement in the time it takes to boot up the OS and get going. I'm using 2x1TB 7200rpm Seagates at the moment (not exactly top-class) so any input would be appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Re: SSD advice

Post by Franky »

Hi there.

Running ssd on 2 different devices including a pc with the same size hard disk on board. I would recommend it to everyone but considering the amount of applications you want to install, for me the 60GB is a bit too small. After security definitions, windows updates and any new game, you'll notice that it eats into that space pretty quickly.

The other thing is to allow at least 15% capacity over on the disk in order to maintain performance. Although my PC is basically just a VMware server with a wide amount of storage at the moment, I wouldn't buy a larger solid state but it all comes down to what you need it for. For gaming I would at least recommend a 256 GB. And there it becomes pricey. Lots of people still run the smaller ones and load games on a disc drive. The performance is still better due to the OS never waiting for a slow drive but game load times in this setup is exactly the same obviously.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Awesome, realized that issue with space after I posted AND forgot about the usual 10% free rule -_-

Will save up a bit more and get something a little chunkier, thanks ^_^
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

I would recommend this SSD: www.teslatech.co.za/samsung-840evo-120GB

It is by far the best price/performance in an SSD right now that we can get in South Africa.

And with a 120GB SSD you should be able to install Windows along-side some games. For example, I have a ~256GB SSD and I have installed Windows, Diablo 3 (~17GB), some VSTs (~17GB) and Ableton (~2GB) and I still have only used about 65GB of space.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

That's definitely the best option of everything I've looked at so far, thank you!
ValkyrieMatt
Species: Dragon

Post by ValkyrieMatt »

Just joined and saw your post. My personal opinion, raid 0. I used it on my laptop with 2x1TB 5400rpm drives and got speeds exceeding 300Mb/s read and write. I was blown away. Also ssd's rock, but wait a few months. I've got a feeling they are going to become very cheap very soon.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

ValkyrieMatt wrote:Just joined and saw your post. My personal opinion, raid 0. I used it on my laptop with 2x1TB 5400rpm drives and got speeds exceeding 300Mb/s read and write. I was blown away. Also ssd's rock, but wait a few months. I've got a feeling they are going to become very cheap very soon.

Prices already dropped a bit since SSD came out and will probably continue at the same pace for a while. I however wouldn't recommend Raid 0 at all. It cuts data redundancy in half.

Best bet for raid to get speed and redundancy is 4 hdd's raid 10 or as they sometimes call it raid 0+1 or raid 1+0 depending if you want to strip a striped volume or stripe a stripped volume.

Otherwise use raid only for redundancy aka raid 1 and these in between but never ever, ever raid 0.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Inpw wrote:
ValkyrieMatt wrote:Just joined and saw your post. My personal opinion, raid 0. I used it on my laptop with 2x1TB 5400rpm drives and got speeds exceeding 300Mb/s read and write. I was blown away. Also ssd's rock, but wait a few months. I've got a feeling they are going to become very cheap very soon.

Prices already dropped a bit since SSD came out and will probably continue at the same pace for a while. I however wouldn't recommend Raid 0 at all. It cuts data redundancy in half.

Best bet for raid to get speed and redundancy is 4 hdd's raid 10 or as they sometimes call it raid 0+1 or raid 1+0 depending if you want to strip a striped volume or stripe a stripped volume.

Otherwise use raid only for redundancy aka raid 1 and these in between but never ever, ever raid 0.
I've been using RAID0 SSDs since 2012. No issues. Although SSDs are much more reliable than HDDs lol.

For storage I'd always go RAID5/6. And for my next SSD I'm not gonna bother with RAID. 1GB/s+ is fun, but meh, 550/550/+high 4k + high 4k random is more than enough. I really like how the 850 Evo is looking right now.