Should I really upgrade??

This is for all discussions related to IT and technology. Hardware, software, programming, it all goes here.
Koda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wusky
Region: Gauteng

Should I really upgrade??

Post by Koda »

Ok, I am actually very happy with my current PC. Problem is, If I don't upgrade now, I wont be able to upgrade for the next 2-3 year.
Currently my specs are:
AMD Athelon II X4 620 (2.4Ghz)
4Gig DDR2
And I a running a gtx220 (512mb) GPU... (sad, I know...) But I'm looking to get a gtx650 (1gig) anyway.

Should I really upgrade my other components? (I do game, but I don't really mind pulling it up to ultra high graphics.)

And yes, I am on a very limited budget :x

Here is some of my options down below:
Attachments
AMD.JPG
intel.JPG
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Re: Should I really upgrade??

Post by Franky »

What is sad? I'm still running a 8800 GT. Lol!
Koda
Species: Wusky

Post by Koda »

wow, the 8800Gt's were AMAZING! although it might be time to upgrade ;)
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I quite like the i5's as a gaming processor, more than 1 core is pretty unnecessary

And 8gb RAM is normally needed

The card is normally the most important(and most expensive ;D) thing that needs changing
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Flaxney

Post by Flaxney »

I would say that the motherboard is the most important choice when upgrading, I mean it is pretty much the backbone of your PC. Buy a decent motherboard to begin with, then focus on the rest. I am sure that Fluke and Gothic Collie can offer advice on building a new rig as they seem to be pretty clued up when it comes to hardware and finding decent prices.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Well what's your budget? And out of both of those 'builds' I would change the motherboard.

Motherboards aren't as important for Intel CPUs these days as those things are just so damn efficient, whereas the opposite can be said for AMD. There are tons of other factors and whatnot, so it'd just be best if you could set out a budget and we can go from there :)
Dire wolf
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: howler

Post by Dire wolf »

i would say rather go for a gtx 660ti if u could its the best of the mid range series and it performs like a beast as for ram you should upgrade to 8gig and maybe switch over to intel

@ Accretion i have a 9800 gt if u want it
This is your life, good to the last drop
Doesn't get any better than this
This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I'd say go for the AMD. Its a bit more bang for its buck. I have theGHz eddition fo that but its a minor clock difference.

I'd also say it's going to depend entirely on what you want to use the new system for. If gaming then try to save a little more for the graphics card. I know some mid range nVidea cards are decent for their price, though I never buy those. I go for top range AMDs cause of the price over performance but that might get all the way up to 6 grand so its a bit much
Time to change
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Dire wolf wrote:@ Accretion i have a 9800 gt if u want it
Thanks dude but I'm also running PCI express 16X 1 still. It's the old Asus cross hair board so upgrading 3d accelerators just wouldn't affect performance generally.

I might need to upgrade sooner or later depending on how badly polygon count affects performance in the 3D apps I use. Max is always slow when dealing with high detailed scenes but the engines we try the modals in still draws large amounts of poly without slowing down.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Accretion wrote:
Dire wolf wrote:@ Accretion i have a 9800 gt if u want it
Thanks dude but I'm also running PCI express 16X 1 still. It's the old Asus cross hair board so upgrading 3d accelerators just wouldn't affect performance generally.

I might need to upgrade sooner or later depending on how badly polygon count affects performance in the 3D apps I use. Max is always slow when dealing with high detailed scenes but the engines we try the modals in still draws large amounts of poly without slowing down.
You could probably run up to a GTX 570 / 7870 on a PCI-E 1.0 16X (PCI-E 2.0 8X) lane with 0 hindrances. 9800 GT won't have any issues.