Python game demo

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Python game demo

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This was a practice demo to test out that I could make a Python text adventure. There's not really much to do but it shows I can save/load a game, monitor various variables and so on. I am considering using it as a base to make a larger game, although that will probably be NSFW. The biggest problem that I've run into is making it available without people having to install Python first but I have some possible solutions to look into.

If you know Python, you can also take a look at the code itself and tell me what I am doing very inefficiently. Though I should note that one of the motivations for this is to gain familiarity with Python and how it works. So I am more interested in figuring out how to do everything than in loading libraries or whatever that can already do it.

To play, you will have to install Python on your computer (Linux users probably have Python already.) and unzip the file.
https://www.python.org/downloads/
Attachments
pythontests_V3.zip
(3 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Python game demo

Post by Adagio »

You can compile it as a standalone exe file. I've done it
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Yeah, I know it's possible but I've been having problems for me specifically. I found a couple tools but they all only seem to be able to compile it for the current OS. So I can't make a Windows exe from Linux. It should be possible through WINE but for some reason I kept getting an error when I tried to install Python in WINE. A couple people gave me other possibilities but I just haven't looked into them properly yet. They also don't seem that simple...
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:14 pm Yeah, I know it's possible but I've been having problems for me specifically. I found a couple tools but they all only seem to be able to compile it for the current OS. So I can't make a Windows exe from Linux. It should be possible through WINE but for some reason I kept getting an error when I tried to install Python in WINE. A couple people gave me other possibilities but I just haven't looked into them properly yet. They also don't seem that simple...
Virtualbox and a windows install?