Pokemon GO

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.

My opinion of Pokemon GO

HELLS YEAH!!1! GONNA CATCH ME *ALL* THE POKEMANZ!!1!
22%
It looks cool. Would get me outside & interacting more.
30%
Meh... don't care either way...
22%
POKEMANZ IS THE DEVIL!!1! BURN THEM AAAALLLLL!!1!
13%
Other (explain in thread)
13%

Total votes: 23
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

Pokemon GO

Post by Sudan Red »

BECAUSE IT IS PROVOCATIVVVVVE!

But seriously, if it came out in SA (or maybe it is... shows how on the pulse I am) - would you play it? Why or why not? What kind of specs would it need? Data gobbler? What do the gamers say?

GO!
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Re: Pokemon GO

Post by Faanvolla »

Started playing yesterday evening, played most of today. (From my USA account, not yet in SA, but it probably will launch in the coming months.)
Has used 30.9 MB, 29% of used battery (comparative to other apps, and I've been using car chargers and power bricks most of the time).

I've been having fun with it, and having never played any of the other pokemon games on nintendo's handhelds it isn't some nostalgia thing.

The server connections right now are horrible, with the app freezing every 8-10 catches, and then it might refuse to log back in for 10-15mins.
Living in the countryside, there are 0 Pokestops or gyms near me, so I'm lvl5 but have not been able to choose a team yet.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Oh yeah - what's with the teams?

(Because... #teamJACOB yaaaay!!!)
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

TEAM INSTINCT FTW!
Currently owner of two gyms in my town :D
Not for long though, my phone couldn't cope with the game and I had to delete it a few days ago *sobs*
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Chloe wrote:TEAM INSTINCT FTW!
Currently owner of two gyms in my town :D
Not for long though, my phone couldn't cope with the game and I had to delete it a few days ago *sobs*
Eesh sorry to hear that! So what ARE the different teams & what do they represent/mean?
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

I can't play. My devices aren't compatible. yay?
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak

Post by Faanvolla »

Sudan Red wrote: So what ARE the different teams & what do they represent/mean?
Blue - Team Mystic.
Red - Team Valor.
Yellow - Team Instinct.

From Polygon

Team Mystic
Blanche is in charge of Team Mystic, the brainiest of the bunch. The blue team is most interested in evolution; beyond that, the members of this faction are cool to a point of intimidation. If you're interested in the science behind what makes Pokémon tick — and are convinced that keeping calm is all it takes for success — choose Team Mystic. Mystic is represented by Articuno, the icy legendary.

Team Valor
Candela is the head of the red team, and she's got spunk for days. Her M.O. is very much in line with what Pokémon trainers have been taught from the get-go: To be the very best Pokémon master, you've got to train for it. Bonding with your Pokémon helps to tap into their strengths, according to Team Valor. If that sounds good to you, go Valor. Also, if you like the fire bird legendary Moltres, that's another reason to go with Valor; Moltres is its mascot.

Team Instinct
Spark is the leader of Team Instinct, the yellow team. Spark is all about trusting your instincts — hence the name of the team. (Spark is not one for nuance.) If you feel that Pokémon are innately talented, and that success in battle can be chalked up to trusting your gut, Instinct is probably the way to go. Team Instinct's mascot is the legendary bird Zapdos.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Nasheera

Post by Nasheera »

Couldn't have been explained any better!
The game can become quite intense as you progress with it and can get you hooked in a snap. All in all, I walked 26km simply to catch pokemon and hatch eggs - that got me to level 9.
Also, it's a flipping fun way to get fit without even realising it!
Kievvu
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

I played up til I was level 4. But I decided today that I'm not going to play anymore because of 5 reasons:
1) apparently the reason that the servers were down for several hours yesterday is because they were hacked and apparently said hackers are now planning something on a much larger scale. I'm not fully sure if this is true or not but I'd rather be safe than sorry..
2) It eats up way to much of my data in order to work properly and if I make it use less then it gets super laggy and tell me im several blocks away from where I actually am
3) I dunno if I got a glitchy version or something but it never shows me the pokemon when im trying to actually catch them, which is annoying as all heck because I have no idea where to throw my balls and ended up wasting several of them
4) It completely zaps my phone battery (e.g. 100% battery, usually lasts me the whole day from around 11 am til 2 am. yesterday I went out with 99% battery, only pokemon go running on my phone and walked around for roughly 4km, thats about just under 2 hours at my speed, and when I got home I had 12% battery left)
5) I don't really have time for it +shrugs+
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

DAGFUKKINABBIT!!! I just wasted like a dozen pokeballs trying to catch an Arcanine when suddenly the game glitched out for like the millionth time.

Almost level 9, team blue.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Leeward wrote:DAGFUKKINABBIT!!! I just wasted like a dozen pokeballs trying to catch an Arcanine when suddenly the game glitched out for like the millionth time.

Almost level 9, team blue.
The raaaage! I love how passionate players are! Do you only get a fixed amount of pokeballs? How do you get more? And wtf up with the glitchiness?
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak

Post by Faanvolla »

You get PBs by leveling up, visiting Pokestops, or buying them with PokeCoins.
(20 for 100pc, 100 for 460pc, or 200 for 800pc)

You also get PBs by leveling up or visiting PokeStops. (I get anywhere between 2 and 5 per stop, with 3 being the most frequent number.)
List of rewards per level here.

You get pokecoins by, iirc, defending gyms, defeating gyms, or by paying with real money.
On the iOS app: R19 - 100pc, R100 - 550pc, R200 - 1200pc, R380 - 2500pc, R780 - 5200pc, or R2000 - 14500pc.

Since the game is not officially out on the SA App store yet, but will be, they have the prices listed, but you cannot pay for in game things, since you need to have the game downloaded with your SA Account, and that is as of yet impossible.

Other things to note, you can only have 250 Pokemon in your storage (storage upgrade 200pc) and 350 items (Health Potions, Revives, Incenses, PokeBalls, Egg Incubators). The app stopped working as I was writing this, so I can't check the exact price, but I think that upgrade is also 200pc.

Me, Kenjo, and his cousin spent the day in the city walking around catching things and visiting Pokestops (there being none nearby). The app crashed less than before, but still crashed enough to be very annoying. I ran out of Pokeballs multiple times, so I saw a bunch of things I couldn't catch (and I couldn't buy more, tempted as I was. )
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Where is my PvP!

I wish to see the tears of my rivals as I crush their puny pokemon beneath my armored heel. This leave a pokemon and leave nonsense is boring.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yeah, and not having to wear down a Pokemon before you can capture it is kind of lame.

Also the AR doesn't work on my phone because for some ridiculous reason this model doesn't have a gyroscope.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Heyyy! I'm not the only one that said "POKEMANZ IS THE DEVIL!!1! BURN THEM AAAALLLLL!!1!"
Lol! Nah... I was never allowed to watch the cartoons, so I never got into the games... So... To me, it holds no nostalgic appeal...
And I really don't like Nintendo... I don't like their consoles... I don't like their handhelds...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Adagio wrote:Lol! Nah... I was never allowed to watch the cartoons, so I never got into the games... So... To me, it holds no nostalgic appeal...
It's never too late to become a fan. :P It has aged relatively well, I'd say.
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Okay another stupid question - if it isn't available in SA yet, then how are people playing it? :lol: I know some of the respondents are living abroad, but the rest?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You can download the app and use it just fine, you just can't log into a Pokemon Go account, only your Google account.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

There are rumours that Niantic is considering a ban on accounts that side-loaded the app, and there are some of the downloads that have been confirmed to contain malware.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Pfft, Pokemon Go itself requires so many strange permissions that it may as well be classified as spyware. Malware is an inherent risk of non- and semi-legit software anyway.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Leeward wrote:Pfft, Pokemon Go itself requires so many strange permissions that it may as well be classified as spyware. Malware is an inherent risk of non- and semi-legit software anyway.
Well there is a connection between Pokemon GO and the CIA so some are suggesting that it really is spyware.
http://blackbag.gawker.com/pokemon-go-i ... 1783461240
enter Pokemon GO, where if you are an intel agency and you want photos of the inside of a home or business, you just spawn desirable pokemon or related objects there, and let totally unaware and distracted citizens take the photos for you, with devices they paid for, and those citizens pay for the experience.

imagine all these photos going back to some database (with the augmented Pokemon removed obviously. all these photos are probably GPS tagged, as well as having the phones internal gyro embed x/y/z orientation of the camera angle in the phone. these photos could be put together, much like google street view.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

"Muhamameded. why are you so excited? help me with these weapons of mass destruction"
"No! A rare pokemon just appeared next to us! I must catch it!"

:P

Okay I have never ever played a single pokemon game...
But this pokemon go interests me... How does one pokemon go?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I have the apk, I can send it to whoever wants it.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I am curious - if there has not been an official release in South Africa, how is there orderly Pokémon placement and map data, let alone a server to support South African players?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The road and land cover data comes from OSM and other open sources. Pokestops, gyms, and spawn points are literally transplanted from Ingress. As for an SA server, that's simple, there isn't one, hence the servers always being down from overload.

In case anyone was wondering where the species-specific candy comes from:

Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged multiple posts
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

All the pokemon professors are total assholes. If I recall correctly, Prof. Oak actually encourages you to drive a voltorb to suicide in Pokemon Snap.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Contrast wrote:All the pokemon professors are total assholes. If I recall correctly, Prof. Oak actually encourages you to drive a voltorb to suicide in Pokemon Snap.
The douchebag can't even be bothered to remember his own grandson's name.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

StargazingSerpent wrote:I am curious - if there has not been an official release in South Africa, how is there orderly Pokémon placement and map data, let alone a server to support South African players?
You can thank the Ingress players for that. The Ingress Portals were mostly converted to Pokestops. We submitted thousands of interesting locations to Niantic.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

If this is even half true, then it is fully awesome!

Check out @xGogsx's Tweet: