Gamers as an identity

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Kspore
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Wolfpup
Region: Gauteng

Gamers as an identity

Post by Kspore »

Gaming for most people is part of their identity. It forms a culture of its own and we are happy to be part of it. We go through hours of gameplay and unlock every achievement for the fun of it.

So I wanted to ask you, how has gaming influenced you, how has it formed part of your identity. I found a really good video, on a basis of this but it is good for all people to watch. I hope you enjoy. (And I didn't know where else to put this, so that is why its a new thread). PS: don't judge the thumbnail. :)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Gamers as an identity

Post by Sev »

I spent five years and thousands of hours playing in competitive leagues. I hated almost every second of it, and have nothing to show for it.

I very rarely play games these days.

I wasted far too much of my childhood.
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Yes you don't have to be a hardcore gamer and play 8 hours a day, to appreciat the gameplay and art that is gaming. The gaming culture is just doing what we like and that is playing games. We appreciat the work that goes in them and enjoy playing them.

And it is not a waste, if you play them in consideration and not to let it consume you. And gaming can be useful in certain areas of life if you know how to use them to your advantage.:)
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

I love gaming, although its not my identity. Why?

Have you ever met the prophecy.co.za crowd?

These are people, who think they are SUPERIOR to every other mortal being because OMFG they have gamercards and ranks, etc...

I am on Steam, I play games. Rather I identify with my favourite game character. That's all. Its better, much better to be known as a first class Sonic gamer than it is to be one of the "freaks of prophecy"

I am ranked 15th in the world with Sonic The Hedgehog games. So there. I don't wear it around my neck, nor do I have little gamercards as my signatures on forums to give me e-peen. I play games when time and family commitment allows.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I like gaming, and to show it I like wearing geeky t-shirts when appropriate. That's pretty much it.

If you saw me at work today you would probably mistake me for a sophisticated professional.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I once got in the top 10 for a daily challenge of Spelunky, and can somewhat constantly get in the top 100 for the binding of isaac (well, last when I played isaac, which was many months ago... chances are there are less people playing now than back then, so I should be even higher up...). Do I think this makes me superior in any way? No way

Chances are 80% of people who consider themselvea gamers have never heard of Spelunky. And compared to the total population... I could be #1 in every daily challenge and noone would care

I don't do it to compete with anyone but myself. I want to get better, want to show the game who's boss. I do put too much time into it to deny that its part of my identity, but if anyone were to ask me who I am, I wouldn't bring it up... Which is perhaps a bit sad, that I would not dare talk about something so important to me, because I know noone else would care.
Mew?
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)

Post by Randall »

LOL I see you playing Spelunky often. Sorry I am such a wet fart on Steam. Life is just crazy at the moment.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

"If you saw me at work today you would probably mistake me for a sophisticated professional."

You're not fooling anyone.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You don't count, you knew me before we worked together. :P
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I would say gaming has massively influenced me for good and bad and I regret none of it :D !

Well maybe I did play too much Dota in High School :?

I have played countless games of varying genres multiplayer and single player. They only games I don't play are the sport and racing orientated ones because yawn. I was pretty good at some competitive ones when I was playing online solo a lot and I do go for achievements but those bragging rights are mostly directed at my fellow gaming friends :P.

I have about 8 friends who I play games with consistently and we are probably the epitome of what you would expect of a bunch of "Hardcore" gamers. We know almost anything within the industry off hand including new hardware and we talk about gaming related stuff a bunch. It gets difficult as the friends start moving out of their homes, getting girlfriends and holding stable jobs to get good meet ups going so being able to play for an hour or two with them every night to catch up is great.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon