Watch_Dogs 2

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Jay Fuzz
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Vulpes vulpes
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Watch_Dogs 2

Post by Jay Fuzz »

I think it looks amazing. Like a modern day Assassin's Creed, with hacking, and REAL parkour, instead of the lame-old free-running of AC, now I can do back flips 'n stuff! And, AND! It's set in San Francisco, and looks amazing! Let's hope that there's no graphics downgrade! :lol:
Literally Nothing.. :D
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Watch_Dogs 2

Post by Leeward »

Well judging by the Steam reviews (at the time and more recently), the first one seemed like so much of a disappointment I didn't even bother trying it, so... I'm not going to bank on round 2 being much better, if at all.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

This video pretty much sums it up:
Obsidian
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Gauteng

Post by Obsidian »

I played the first one for about 10 hours and then got bored. It was not as bad a game as people complained on its own, it was bad in comparison to what was promised. Overall it seemed that the whole hacking thing was more of a gimmick than a necessary game-play mechanic outside very specific missions. Once I got a silenced weapon it was pretty much just strolling through missions aiming for head shots. Even when enemies were alerted it was not really necessary to use the environment, I would just cover hop until the level ran out of enemies. Long ranged silenced rifle in the open and assault rifles indoors was the most efficient strategy. Sure the hacking stuff made missions easier now and then but the missions were already so easy I often did not bother.

Setting off someones grenade remotely was entertaining though.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

The first one had 3 years between reveal and launch, where this one has both in the same year (delay depending), so I'm sure they learned their lesson at least a bit with regards to building too much hype.

It is a ubi game though, so who knows.

I don't regret buying the first one, so finances willing I want to pick it up, if not at launch for the probable uplay server issues, then a few weeks/months later after looking at some reviews & videos.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

The first one was so shit I didn't even get past 10% of the game despite actually paying for it.

It was a complete joke of a game.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Ubisoft pulled the exact same stunt with The Division. I'm never buying another game from them.
Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Sev wrote:Ubisoft pulled the exact same stunt with The Division. I'm never buying another game from them.
Yes those "stunts" was underhanded of them, but that doesn't mean that they don't create good games as well.
You would be foolish to never buy a Ubisoft game just because of their stunts.
:)
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

They make pretty bad games tbh, ALL of them have been deceitful with their visuals too.
Jay Fuzz

Post by Jay Fuzz »

I don't know about that.. What about the Far Cry's, or Assassin's Creed? Those games' trailers' look visuals look similar to the in-game stuff.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Far Cry didn't look as advertised. Granted, that wasn't as big a difference.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I loved far cry. Far Cry 3 was really one of the games that got me the most immersed. So no complaints about the graphics... I am one of those "don't care about graphics, as long as the game's fun" type people. Having it less than advertised does suck, but the games are good, so I will keep playing them

I actually enjoyed Watch_Dogs. Sure, it's no game of the year, and I'm glad I picked it up second hand for R200. Would've probably regretted it if I had to pay R700+ for it... But it was a fun experience
Mew?
Jay Fuzz

Post by Jay Fuzz »

Exactly! Who cares about graphics, as long as the game is fun! Like Minecraft. I really enjoy Minecraft, and its simplistic graphics are one of the things I love about it.
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

Anyone who says they don't care about graphics either has a low end PC or are legally blind :P.

It is hard to describe why it is so important because what looks good is subjective and art styles vary so considerably from game to game. It does somewhat depends on the game and what you want from it. Watch Dogs and Far Cry need good graphics because they are trying to get you to feel the world and make you a part of it. I play tons of RPG's and so I love pretty settings and enjoy looking at the scenery from time to time and picking out little details. Better graphics = better immersion. Being able to clearly see expressions on characters and the effect you have on the world visually adds a lot to feeling part of a game. Imagine playing watch dogs or any other action game where the explosions are replaced by a puff of smoke or something equally ugly, it would be so much less satisfying to blow stuff up and for me at least would make such interactions boring. Good graphics won't save a shit game but bad graphics will make some game genres dull without some amazing artistic intervention.

Humans enjoy having their senses stimulated so I would argue that good graphics along with good sound turns a fun game into a joyous one.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Jay Fuzz

Post by Jay Fuzz »

Yeah. That's true as well. I can't even imagine playing Just Cause 3 with hideous explosions.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Obsidian wrote:Anyone who says they don't care about graphics either has a low end PC or are legally blind :P.
I used to have the best PC out of all my friends. Could max out any game. Even then, I didn't care much about graphics. I am wearing glasses, but are nowhere near legally blind

Yeah, having hideous graphics can ruin it. But even Far Cry 2 is good enough to not be considered hideous. It has pretty explosions :P None of Ubisofts recent games are so ugly it's unplayable.
Mew?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Kspore
Species: Wolfpup

Post by Kspore »

Yes Ubisoft has been underhanded is the advertising of their games. But a lot of work goes into their games. The quality of games that you expect from them is hard to produce. It takes a lot of time and money to develop these games, they might not be as great as they were advertised but that is not what gaming is about. It is about enjoying the game that is in front of you. That graphics of the game doesnt matter if you enjoy the actual gameplay.
Some games I have played gave the worst graphics ever and glitches galore, but I enjoyed them due to the gameplay. But of course this is my oppion, but what is the point of playing games just because they have great graphics. Gameplay matters more to me.

Thank you, if you actually bothered to read this. :)
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

I demand perfection and I demand advancement! Rant incoming!

Of course game play is the important, otherwise it would not be a game. In this day and age where the game industry is booming and technology is improving there is no excuse for triple A devs to not give us impressive games. If they were not so busy pumping out clones we might get something to care about. I get it that companies need a continuous stream of income and that is why they would rather make 5 average games a year rather than 1 or 2 good ones. I think however that many have taken this business practice too far and only revolve around spewing out nonsense for the masses to grab. I hate Ubisoft lately because they keep making the same game over and over with different skins and I used to love it when they brought out something new.

Perhaps I am just a fanboy but Valve give us some really good games periodically and the seem to be doing just fine. Even though I am not such a big fan of Blizzard they are similar in that regard. I don't think that either company brings absolutely amazing jaw dropping graphics to the table when they bring out a new game but they do always look good. I think it is because they employ a good art style.

If we accept the mundane and the repetitive we only invite stagnation. Everything must continually be encouraged to improve and we should accept no less.

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

When I played BF 3 and 4 competitively, I ran all of the graphics on lowest expect resolution and model quality. Competitive players only care about framerate and getting rid of as many visual distractions as possible.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Valve's main income isn't really games anymore, it's steam. They don't need "cash cow" type games. Blizzard has WoW, pumping in money. So they also don't have to bring out okay-ish games for an income. Activision, for example, kinda need to pump out a new COD every year or two to survive...

It's a shame.

This is why I've mostly been playing indie games. I think the last AAA game I bought was GTA V, and only because a bunch of my friends wanted me to. And even that was more than a year ago

Then there's Overkill... The makers of payday...
I must admit, I'm a sucker for new Payday 2 DLC's, which they release about every month. I think it's a clever business model, if not a bit evil.
Mew?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Overkill have fallen from grace with their incessant nickle and diming.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

They really f*cked up when they brought in microtransactions in the form of safes that drop, that you need to buy the drill for in order to open. They apologised afterwards, but didn't remove it... Until last week. They actually fixed their mistake. No more microtransactions
Mew?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Wow, that only took months longer than it should have.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Yup. It's not good at all. But, at least they did fix it
Mew?
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Obsidian wrote:Anyone who says they don't care about graphics either has a low end PC or are legally blind :P.
Some of us hail from backgrounds which included having computers that ran Powerpoint slideshows more smoothly than Crysis. On low settings. :P
Obsidian

Post by Obsidian »

StargazingSerpent wrote:Some of us hail from backgrounds which included having computers that ran Powerpoint slideshows more smoothly than Crysis. On low settings. :P
Dark days indeed. There is a reason I spent most of my first years of gaming only playing Age of Empires 1 and 2. Luckily now through part time work while studying I am able to keep up for the most part with games. Enough to play them on high rather than Ultra anyways. I am very inclined to buy the GTX 1080 or 1070 in the next two months so I can play fallout on max.

Maybe I would even be able to play watch dogs 2 on max but considering the performance on high end PC`s of the the last one I am leaning towards probably not.

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

"I am very inclined to buy the GTX 1080 or 1070 in the next two months so I can play fallout on max."

If that's your sole reason, save your money. The game is ugly at any settings.
Jay Fuzz

Post by Jay Fuzz »

Holy Jeezums.. Think I have a new favorite game.