Sonic Adventure DX

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Randall
Species: Funambulus palmarum (Squirrel)
Region: Gauteng

Sonic Adventure DX

Post by Randall »

This game is a port, to Windows, of the original Dreamcast title from 1999.

Now, I bought it when it released in 2004... and the game has given me endless issues with graphics card problems and Direct X, and I have twice hacked i.e. patched the executable TO MAKE IT WORK PROPERLY with a controller, and to stop fucking out. That copy of the game, which is generally the copy out there, is baaaaad.... this is why I kept playing it on my Dreamcast rather. The Windows version was so resource heavy, no AGP graphics card was able to run it, and I got it to work at an acceptable 25fps only on a CORE i7 machine, with a GeForce GTS450.. after some years. And even so, it still fucks out, certain areas in the game cause it to crash... BSOD, taking Windows with it in the process...

So today I see they have it on Steam, and its cheap, so I bought it there... Guess what...

* They have re-done the game. It is now running the CRIWARE engine (which is closely compatible with the Dreamcast's middleware). Someone at SEGA obviously smoked their socks in 2004 thinking they could port this game and magically hope it would play nice with DirectX.
* The characters look AMAZING... even better than the Dreamcast version. The lighting is correct, it was wrong in the previous version and the characters looked like shit.
* It works with the Xbox controller. Previously I had to hack the executable to make it work. As standard it will only work with ancient game pads and joysticks that are not analog.
* It can be set to run at Full HD. (the older version will run at this resolution but it battles terribly with screen tearing, etc..). No screen tearing, fully smooth 60fps goodness.

I will do some screencaps soonest and show you the difference. But I am truly a happy bunny I can now play this game nicely, instead of having to pack out my beloved Dreamcast (which I would like to keep in storage to preserve it as best I can)
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Re: Sonic Adventure DX

Post by Ryall »

Sonic, why?
Hahaha! :lol:
Randall

Post by Randall »

As to why?

This game, to me was a gateway into the following:

* Furry fandom- yes if I never ever played that game I would NOT be here today on this forum
* Online games and MMORPG
* Artistic endeavours
* Open and analytical thinking
* Meeting other people including my wife.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Ryall wrote:Sonic, why?
Why does this remind me of the ending on Neon Genesis Envangelion?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Randall

Post by Randall »

LOL :D
Randall

Post by Randall »

Back on topic:

Spent some time with the game last night, there's a nice set of screenshots, you can get them on my Steam profile.

They have fixed every bloody thing, it feels, like a Sega Dreamcast. Even my controller's vibration feature works.

If any of you have never played Sonic The Hedgehog, I highly recommend this game, as your entrance into the world of Sonic and his friends. You will not be disappointed! That is my final word.