Biggest dissapontment in games

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi
Region: Gauteng

Biggest dissapontment in games

Post by rusted hydra »

So lets share what was out biggest disappointment in a video game.
Mine was not in a game but about one, the cancelling of silent hill

Though that's an obvious one.

A more stinging disappointment was in Fallout:New Vegas.
*SPOILER WARNING!!!!!*
After I activated Helios 1 and watched the surrounding NCR get annihilated I was "Fuck yea!" then off we went to find Helios 2 targeting module. I was so excited when I got it! I now had an ION CANNON!
Then started looking for something to test fire on and spotted some mole rats and thought "YEA! OVERKILL TIME!" and aimed, it charged up, BANG! Fire everywhere! next fire possible in 24hours, Mole rats still alive.
WHAT?!
The fuck... massive quest to get this damn thing online and it can't even kill a bloody more rat, its weaker than my 9mm pistol.
Orbital death ray my arse, more like orbital laser eye surgery.
Those mole rats were like "Oh what was that? my eyesight is so much better now. Thank you!"
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Re: Biggest dissapontment in games

Post by jacojerb »

My biggest disappointment was the end of Super Smash Lander Suicide Party, Bro?

http://ludumdare.com/compo/2012/01/04/s ... -smashing/

A free game made by the same people who made broforce, and it is where they got their logo from

It's not a long game, if you'd like to play it yourself. If not, here's the ending: the game has different stages, the last of which is simply a high five... And by simply, I mean you have to get it just right... You hold space bar to move the two hands closer together, and they're moving up and down by themselves. If they're not perfectly aligned, the hands smash into each other, damaging each other until both hands completely break off the arms... It's quite hard, and if you fail, you have to play the whole game from the start. If you eventually get it, the screen starts zooming out to reveal... It's one alien giving himself a high five.
Mew?
Rocket_Dog
Species: Cardigan Welsh Corgi
Region: Western Cape

Post by Rocket_Dog »

Mass Effect 3 - before the DLC was released.

Almost a decade of my life for...this?

But after the DLC happened I played it again. Some tears were shed. But like, in a manly way.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

The DLC still didn't properly address how limiting and non sensical that ending was. They should have gone with the Indoctrination Theory.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Kangee Gold
Species: Raven

Post by Kangee Gold »

I've played a lot of disappointing games over the last 20 years worth my life spent gaming, I just expect everything to disappoint me now-a-days.

There still are quite a few notable games that have just been spectacularly poor and it's hard to choose which one has been the most disappointing. Some of those are:

CoD - Modern Warfare 2:
I've always loved Call of Duty up to the 5th one, World At War, but when Modern Warfare was announced to feature bullshit like "Peer-To-Peer" matchmaking and no dedicated server support, I went into a rage and pretty much stopped buying Activision games.

Alien VS Predator (2011):
I was looking forward to it, I loved the older AVP games and hoped this one would provide more of that fun. It disappointed me in so many ways. Mostly it was just so damn short and the gameplay was blatantly and poorly ported off the peasant box/station version, especially the Marine section. The Predator section was really fun while it lasted, sure, but it was just too short and stopped when the most fun part of the game was getting the most exciting.

Dawn of War 2:
When I started playing the first few levels I was kinda excited and thought "Aww fuck yeah, Dawn Of War but with more gameplay features from Company Of Heroes added."
But then I was met with a distinct lack of being able to build and micromanage an epic army and was given instead this poorly implemented pseudo-RPG type of game that I just slogged through because I thought the story might get better later on. That too, was disappointing. (Same thing with the expansions.)
Quick! Somebody chew on my nipples or we're all gonna die!
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Post by Fluke »

Simply; DLC.

99% of the time it's just a cash grab, but the DLC I've bought at least haven't been that bad. Only thing that was pretty cash-grab DLC that I bought was Project Cars - but I only got 2 packs for that.

Another is shoddy remakes (Heroes of Might and Magic III remake is worse than the stock game... lol).

A few good ones come to mind however - Especially Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth 1, 2 and soon 3. Those game is an amazing remakes, the amount of dedication that goes into remaking the game is clearly seen. They redid almost everything, animations, graphics (1080p, 60fps, AA, bloom, etc.), voices completely re-recorded, gameplay remade to the MkV system, balancing, etc. And then they ask only like $10 for the game....

There's a reason I have over 315 hours on the first game :D
1.PNG
2.PNG
3.PNG
4.PNG
Neon
Species: Huskeh
Region: Other

Post by Neon »

Empire Earth 3. Holy shit that was like one of the first games I was ever hyped for (I was like 9 at the time I think)
Back then I was a massive fan of RTS games, and would spend pretty much all of my weekends on Age of Empires and Empire Earth and games of the like. Empire Earth 2 was a masterpiece in my completely biased opinion, so naturally I was excited for is following release.

And I was disappointed. It wasn't even half-arsed. It was just bad. The dev team had completely lost the plot there. They went for the whole 'comic-look' vibe and failed. And the amount of content was dismal.

First time I ever was disappointed with a game in my life.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Meh, in retrospect, all three EE games sucked. The first one had horrific balancing, with an overly limiting rock paper scissors mechanic. The second one felt stripped down and still didn't feel well paced or balanced. Let's not even talk about the 3rd game.

Rise of Nations was way better.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Mine is my review of Undertale:

Undertale is a very highly praised game by pundits and critics alike, receiving high accolades across the board for the expanding, unknown universe held within, and layers upon layers of hidden secrets and surprises that abound.

Where is that?

Because my experience of Undertale went along the lines of: Well, I guess after hearing all this, I should probably roleplay this game out and really get into it. So I’m a kid, about 10 years old, and

[spoilers ahead so please look away if you don’t want anything spoiled]

Get attacked by the first thing I meet. A flower. It viciously tries to mutilate my body, and this terrifies me. Thankfully, a goat(?) woman(?) named Torriel(?) saves me. Huzzah. She then goes around, teaching me about the dangers of this place. I believe her. So when she tells me to stay put, I do. I hear a funny incident about a dog stealing her cellphone... and then... there’s nothing. Just a dog, sleep calling me. I waited for an hour and a half. Nothing more. Feeling a little adventurous, I step into the next room. She calls again, saying she rescued her phone (Huzzah), but that I must still wait in the other room for her. So I go back. And wait 30 minutes. Nothing else comes of it. So I tentatively step and wait in the next room, just in the opening should she return or call. An hour later, and nothing happens. At this rate, I conclude that the 10 year old kid has been abandoned in this place for over 3 hours, dies from internal injuries sustained in the initial fall, and quit the game. Yes, this is the game’s fault the child died, all because you abandoned them in a dark labyrinth, made them too afraid to walk further, and never got them medical help. This is all your fault game, and there is no save scumming here. No reloading. I hope you’re happy and can live with these consequences. Here lies a kid, whose name was never asked, dead from neglect. Rest in Peace.

[spoilers over]

This game was a 3 hour wait for nothing. Nothing happened. Hell, more things happen in “Waiting for Godot” than this game in the same running time. I did as instructed, and saw nothing.
This is the worst game I’ve played in a long time.

Score: -37/10. The score is calculated by 0 base, -1 for every hour spent waiting, rounded up (-3), and then minus every year of this child’s life stolen by the cruel actions of the characters in the game; the heartless, uncaring actions that left him to die; whilst those who could help were gallivanting about and playing with puppies: -34. Total: -37
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

NEW BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT!

I can't dual wield my cleaver and Chopper of the 10th(my 10mm pistol)

THIS SUCKS!

0/10!

or it is possible but I haven't noticed it yet.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

@Hargan You're probably the guy who plays The Stanley Parable, doing everything the narrator tells you to...

When I showed it to Dascs sister, that's what she did... I guess I can add that to my list of disappointments in games. Watching her just doing everything she's told... Where's the fun in that?
Mew?
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

Dungeon Siege 3 was a big let down for me,

I thoroughly enjoyed 2 on pc and I played 3 on console because lazy and such, it was linear to the point of feeling like a rat in a course.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Jurassic Park: The Game.
Epic premise with splendorous hype, based on one of the most prolific and influential science fiction thrillers of all time... And it ends up being an overly linear key-mashfest that is mediocre at best. Objectively, it was not an abysmally terrible game, but it certainly does not deserve to have Jurassic Park: The Game as its title. So much potential, down the drain.
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

Though the park builder "Operation Genesis " was a lot of fun
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Considering I have to rescind my previous post, which I do (I've finally been able to listen to other music, huzzah, undertale music constantly eventually gets to you :P), I could go for a game so awful that it deserves terribleness (Aquarium), but I'm not going to. No, this one of mine, is one of those games, that taught me: don't believe in hype. Don't believe in what they all tell you. Even games destined for high markets can be a broken mess.

And so, I set forth a burning pyre, for the flagship of the company, Flagship, who, for those of you who have forgotten the past, brought to us:

Hellgate London

The game that was destined to be diablo 3, that was going to blow all our minds away, that could bring forth an even greater game... released as a buggy, beta state game.

They released a patch to try keep it going, and that patch made one boss fight nigh impossible (my puny gun had a 28.1 meter range for a melee character, and anything within 28.0 meters of the boss got hit by an aura of 6 different types of damages, instead of cycling through one at a time).

And then it died, forever forgotten in the annuls of history. A company rose up from the ashes of Flagship, might know them as Runic games (Torchlight), and blizzard went forth and brought forward Diablo 3 many years later. But for those few dark years, all hope of anything close to what a Diablo 3 game should have been, sunk admist an uproar of disappointment.

Tl;dr: Hellgate London. Damn you EA.
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Wiggins
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: African Wild Dog
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Wiggins »

Biggest let down? Eh, Rome 2: Total War.

What was I disappointed in? Just about everything. After playing a game like Rome: Total War (The one before). Playing the second was just... Sad, and to think I preordered it twice (One for a friend)!
Oh well, nothing I can do to change the past, and besides, with a bunch of mods, it's much, much better!
“A wise man once said a true history of the world is a history of great conversations in elegant rooms.”