What happened to FPS games?

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

What happened to FPS games?

Post by Franky »

If Doom was like today's FPS games

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:

If Quake was like today's FPS games

Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: What happened to FPS games?

Post by Sev »

It's kinda interesting; part 3 was entertaining in its own right.

Besides, fast paced shooters are making somewhat of a resurgence. Just look at the new Doom, for example.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:Besides, fast paced shooters are making somewhat of a resurgence. Just look at the new Doom, for example.
Doom 4 looks kinda OK I guess but it's hardly what I'll call a fast paced FPS game:

Doom pacing:

UT4 Pacing:

It's not just the pacing though it's the preachy, cheesy, agenda driven gameplay. The attempt at emotion the lack of action and just the everything. I blame CS.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

You blame a game with no storyline on the "preachy-ness" of modern FPS games? Also, CS has been around for yonks, it's hardly a "modern" game by any stretch of the imagination.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:You blame a game with no storyline on the "preachy-ness" of modern FPS games? Also, CS has been around for yonks, it's hardly a "modern" game by any stretch of the imagination.
I blame CS cause it started a breed of boring gamers with 0 arena skills to become competitive in online gaming, thus spawning fanboys. It had crap map control and eventually the games developed into CSS and COD for these people. Your XP gives you weapons instead of earning it on the fly, helicopters kills your enemies or after 50 shots to the chest didn't work. Even when in full health a knife to the hand works better.

Considering that they took away the HP in them as well is even harder evidence of the amount of laziness and under appreciation the players has with map design. CS is not alone and no it's not their fault but rather the fans bloating it up as the coolest games ever. That and COD, not even gonna talk about Battlefield.

For story. I support a good story in games but cheesy cut scenes and stupid pauses ruins the action. Take Half-Life 2 for example. It's completely live action with a damn good story to boot. There are a few waiting moments but it's all still seen through Gordan's eyes and doesn't take a substantial amount of time with explaining. The player still needed to figure out stuff.

Ever thought about this:

Half-Life:

Gordan never speaks... Thank God non of that choose a response RPG crap.
You never see him... There are no mirrors in any of the half life games.

That's Valves way to make the player more immersed.

Unreal 1:

The only cut scene where you escape the player is at the end showing the Skaarj rocket as far as i can remember.
You had to play the game on your own. No one helped guide you through the maps.

UT99, UT 2003, UC, UT 2004, UT 3, UT 4

Thank God for these cause they seem to be the only guys still doing it even considering the gap between 3 (2007) and 4 (2015 - 2016)
Kangee Gold
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Raven

Post by Kangee Gold »

I wouldn't blame CS and CoD for the issue with Arena/arcade shooters because at the time they were just another genre. I would, however, blame CoD-MW2 when the franchise and the genre in general started to get over milked that the udders are now so shriveled up they're trying to squeeze juice from a razin.

And now just about everybody else is trying to get some of that dry-juice, from Serious Sam 3 with it's "Modern Warfare" styled gameplay additions to the last bunch of GTA games with stupid shit cover mechanics.

Honestly the last good "Modern Shooter" was Homefront, even though it didn't get any great success, but that was just because they didn't jam in as much money into a marketing campaign that takes up 75% of the total game budgets for CoD or BF games.
Quick! Somebody chew on my nipples or we're all gonna die!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

How is Serious Sam 3 Modern Warfare-esque?
Kangee Gold

Post by Kangee Gold »

Sev wrote:How is Serious Sam 3 Modern Warfare-esque?
Because Sam doesn't need no panzy-ass holo sight, he doesn't even need to aim down sights. He's Serious Motherfucking Sam, if his bullets don't go where he wants them to go then he just beats them until they do.
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

I finished home front in 4 hours o.o, it was a decent enough as a movie but I wouldn't have thought it worth 20$ even on release day
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Kangee-Gold wrote:
Because Sam doesn't need no panzy-ass holo sight, he doesn't even need to aim down sights. He's Serious Motherfucking Sam, if his bullets don't go where he wants them to go then he just beats them until they do.
And how does that make it like Modern Warfare, exactly?
Kangee Gold

Post by Kangee Gold »

Obsidian wrote:I finished home front in 4 hours o.o, it was a decent enough as a movie but I wouldn't have thought it worth 20$ even on release day
The singleplayer wasn't very long, but multiplayer (where modern combat shooters are usually focussed) was really well designed and had a strong opportunity to offer the best parts of all other competitors while doing away with all their worst shit. (like peer-to-peer to name the most irritating "feature")
Sev wrote:
Kangee-Gold wrote:
And how does that make it like Modern Warfare, exactly?
Sam doesn't aim down sights. Only Soap McTwatish needs panzy-ass sights to aim.\

Nevermind the D'eagle and C4 charge and other CoD-inspired weapons and features with identical gameplay mechanics.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I think that we are fundamentally misunderstanding each other.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Don't blame Counter Strike for things. Counter Strike was awesome. CS1.6 forever!
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

See many furries have a soft spot for CS. XD
Kangee Gold

Post by Kangee Gold »

Inpw wrote:See many furries have a soft spot for CS. XD
Well it was the pioneer of a whole new sub-genre of shooter.

Where shooters up to that point were mostly about hoarding all the guns with reaction times and dodging abilities only there to facilitate it, the new tactical combat based shooters were about planning your movements constantly, using map features for cover (and knowing what did and didn't make good cover) and in some games how to be stealthy. Flanking an enemy is more important than dodging his rocket.

Putting in in real world terms, Classic MP shooters were more like a boxing match, while Tactical MP shooters are more like MMA.