Fallout 4!

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Fallout 4!

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

"Of course! Let me take out the trash. Wouldn't want his highness to have to get off his lazy arse! You think you can just sit there and watch TV until the end of the world?"
"Well maybe I just will! Better than listening to you complain about how much time you spent getting your hair dyed with Bethany that you couldn't meet Jessica to do your nails together!"
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Region: Gauteng

Post by rusted hydra »

Ugh...
Here comes a big complaint. See I was walking about minding my own business then suddenly message pops up " objective failed: defend settlement so-n-so "
And I look to see that so-n-so has gone from 3 population to 1.
fuck. off. I didn't even get notified that they were under attack!
jees.... and the turrets and guns I gave them mean nothing? what attacked them? 20 raiders in power armor?
Fuck this, settlement idea is shit.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Investigating the Museum of Witchcraft was unexpectedly terrifying. It was also a lot easier than I expected. Okay, I died the first time but then I started playing with some psycho, a convenient missile launcher and the fact that the Deathclaw can't fit through the doorway. Yup, exploited that all the way.

Also I've realised why I don't care about the main story. Even after following it a bit more, there is zero engagement for me. Follow the story vs randomly explore will have me randomly explore every time. I think the main problem is that not only does the protagonist sound so pathetic looking for Shaun but he was frozen for 200 years and we have no idea when the kidnapping happened. Shaun could have been dead for over a century or grown up or anything. I've seen enough spoilers to know which of those is true. But for some reason he doesn't get that and keeps talking about a baby. This is the same logic that had Maleficient's minions spend 16 years searching every cradle for a baby. Time passes. Also the baby didn't have any speaking role and was there for only a few seconds. I didn't even carry the baby to safety so I have 0 reason to care.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Have to agree. There is so little absorbtion into the main plot its ridiculous.
I'm sort of just trying to get the main quest to be done with it and have fun off somewhere else
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Meh, I really didn't like the main storyline.

For me, building settlements and collecting stuff is the game.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Sev wrote:Meh, I really didn't like the main storyline.

For me, building settlements and collecting stuff is the game.
But building settlements in first person is really weird. There should have been a 2D interface for planning and building settlements. Or 3D but top down.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, the feature was really, really tacked on.

The tooltip for the junk jet even describes junk as useless, for goodness sake.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Fido Ebbon wrote:Ugh...
Here comes a big complaint. See I was walking about minding my own business then suddenly message pops up " objective failed: defend settlement so-n-so "
And I look to see that so-n-so has gone from 3 population to 1.
fuck. off. I didn't even get notified that they were under attack!
jees.... and the turrets and guns I gave them mean nothing? what attacked them? 20 raiders in power armor?
Fuck this, settlement idea is shit.
Lol, don't complain cause you're terrible at it. :P
It always notifies you when a settlement is being attacked. You probably just didn't notice it cause they don't exactly make it a flashing siren.

My defence on sanctuary is on 242 and I don't even have my mortar down yet.
Add to that the seven suits of power armor lying around that the residents will wear if they are under attack.
I'm sure they will be just fine.
Also, you might want to bother giving your residents armour and guns. It's fucking hilarious to see your place get attacked by raiders and four civilians pull out fat mans and just start launching nukes.
I gave all my settlers rocket launchers instead.
[REDACTED]
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I gave all of my settlers mid tier hunting rifles and sturdy leather armor, for that authentic feel.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Helios_phi wrote:fat mans
Fat men?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Leeward wrote:
Fat men?
Na, Fatman is a name. So the plural shouldn't be men. But I like the way you're thinking. :lol:
Besides saying two Fatmans really breaks the listeners inner ear for a second. Like nails on a chalkboard.
Sev wrote:I gave all of my settlers mid tier hunting rifles and sturdy leather armor, for that authentic feel.
I had a really nice settlement but it all went to pot when I started farming water.
Now my base is just turrets. Not even joking.
Good defence should be higher than your total food and water. My water is on 190 in Sanctuary . There are only three or four settlements with open water that has enough space for farming thou.
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Helios_phi wrote:
Leeward wrote:
Fat men?
Na, Fatman is a name. So the plural shouldn't be men. But I like the way you're thinking. :lol:
Besides saying two Fatmans really breaks the listeners inner ear for a second. Like nails on a chalkboard.
I'm aware, I've played Fallout 3. I'm just pedantic when it comes to etymological correctness. For example I'll cringe a little but leave it when someone says "octopuses" because the word is borrowed from another language but said in English, which is technically fine (e.g. "cellos" instead of "celli"). However I correct people who say "octopi" because that's completely wrong, because "octopus" comes from Greek, not Latin, and therefore should not use a Latin plural form. If you want to sound fancy, the correct Greek plural for "octopus" is "octopodes".
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Helios_phi wrote: Lol, don't complain cause you're terrible at it. :P
It always notifies you when a settlement is being attacked. You probably just didn't notice it cause they don't exactly make it a flashing siren.
I didn't notice it cause the "you lost" message appeared after I did a fast travel.
Meaning they got attacked while I was fast traveling.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Okay, I misunderstood. That bites. I've stopped 3 attacks so far just cause I've happened to be around. I've never been raided while away from my main town.
[REDACTED]
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

A settlement got attacked and by chance I noticed the objective in my quest list. So I went over...
And...
Raiders...
IN POWER ARMOR
Were busy wrecking the defence...
AAAGH!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Two words: Missile Turrets.

They absolutely wreck everything.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Fido Ebbon wrote:A settlement got attacked and by chance I noticed the objective in my quest list. So I went over...
And...
Raiders...
IN POWER ARMOR
Were busy wrecking the defence...
AAAGH!
I know sometimes raiders get power armour anyway but I read that if you leave fusion cores in your own armour, it's possible for attackers to get inside. Since you've probably got much better stuff (thank you polymer lab) that would be really bad.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Yea I always take the cells out my spare power armor. mainly because I need the cells and I have 4 suits now
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

4 suits? Hah, casual. :P

I think that I am sitting at around a dozen right now.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

#mostOPweapon Untill I run into azombie
Attachments
2015-12-02_00001.jpg
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

In my experience, radiation damage is far too situational.
I found a minigun that does explosive damage - that thing is just not fair.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Yea... Also ammo is scarce for the mini gun. I have much more .45 ammo and .38 ammo, about a 1000 each.
Now.

The next thing I want to talk about is spoilery. So higglight here if you've gotten into the institute
Now I walked in there, in my dirty power armor, wielding a gatling lazer. Expecting an army of synths and I was ready to blow shit up to kingdom come... And then some more!
But...
They just opened the doors and led me right to shaun... And then came the "predictable twist! Though I'll be honest I expected either a 10yo or a 30yo or 90yo. Though he did surprise me a lil, and felt emotional, cause a mother finally re-united with her child is still going to leave me emotional no matter how bad the writing is. Didnt surprise me as much as the institute. "aiming to make the perfect machine." I... A... I'm going to sit on their side. Fuck the others. Some evil is needed for this goal and I shall help obtain this goal! It is a small desire of mine to make better machines too
But I do feel a bit awkward now, marching in in dirty powrr armor wielding a big fat gun >…>
If I knew this was coming I'd have dressed better <…<
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Obviously I'm behind most people since I was just exploring. Anyway I just went to Fort Hagen. Meh. Then I came out and it was pretty darn cool. ^^
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Helios_Overkill wrote:Also, you might want to bother giving your residents armour and guns. It's fucking hilarious to see your place get attacked by raiders and four civilians pull out fat mans and just start launching nukes.
I gave all my settlers rocket launchers instead.
lol! :lol:
Your poor residents, they must feel so hard done by after the downgrade. :P

I was quite annoyed with Sanctuary. I spent a few hours fencing up Sanctuary, and fortifying the river's edge like it was Omaha beach: machine guns, mines, barbed wire, guard posts (with well equipped guards). I get a message that Sanctuary is under attack, and I was like, "ah, yes, finally!"

I arrive at Sanctuary expecting to see hordes of raiders reenacting Saving Private Ryan, but instead what I find is a bunch of rad scorpions had just burrowed into the center of the town, bypassing all the defenses.

Now all 30 citizens of Sanctuary sleep and work in a 5 story high compound surrounded by heavy lazer turrets. It's for their own safety.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Synths are even worse, they ended up bypassing both the walls and all of my defenses at the Castle. It was most frustrating.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Ryall wrote:I arrive at Sanctuary expecting to see hordes of raiders reenacting Saving Private Ryan, but instead what I find is a bunch of rad scorpions had just burrowed into the center of the town, bypassing all the defenses.

Now all 30 citizens of Sanctuary sleep and work in a 5 story high compound surrounded by heavy lazer turrets. It's for their own safety.
If Vault-Tec designed your town's security they would build masses of heavy laser turrets all facing inwards with their back protected by high walls. Then attackers would walk past into their range and burrowing enemies would appear in their range too. Of course all the civilians would be caught in the crossfire but they would just frame it as an experiment in resident laser endurance.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Last night, I had a dream that a splinter faction of the BoS stole all of my power armor, and ended up employing it against me. It was most frustrating.

Weirdly enough, the same dream involved faux granite tables and tactless salesmen.

Mhhhm, must be all of the settlement building.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Pull the lever, Kronk! WRONG LEVER!

Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Lol Rakuen, true! Unfortunately, my citizens are not expendable: they owe me a lot of caps for all those shops I built for them, and if they don't meet the ROI I have set for them within an acceptable time-frame, then their homicidal-maniac insurance will lapse.

ROFL LEEWARD! That's Brilliant! I used to love The Emperor's New Groove and The Emperor's New School. :D
Hahaha! :lol: