paid modding

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

paid modding

Post by jacojerb »

So, I just read an article about how Valve and Skyrim's paid modding is no longer existent. There was huge drama about it online, pretty much everyone saying it's bad... I only see two possible problems with it, neither of which are really that big of a problem, compared to the advantages

First of, the smaller problem, the modders only get 25%... This is really kinda crappy. I think they should get at least 50%

Secondly, that a bunch of crappy mods (if not all mods) will now ask for money as well, where they don't all deserve it

Now for the advantage: I've seen some really incredible mods, some that really adds so much stuff, and I think that those mods were made by some people in their spare time, just for fun. Imagine if those people could work on it full time. Those mods would be worth it to buy

Please tell me what I'm missing. Bethesda said they might change the splitting of the money in the future, and the potential for good mods to grow outweighs the risk of bad mods asking for money. So... What's the problem? Why was it so much protested and removed within a week?
Mew?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Re: paid modding

Post by Helios_phi »

See consoles don't have this problem. When I put off my pc and pick up the controller, I move off the desk chain and onto the couch. This is to give your arse a softer cussion in preparation of paying for everything. Paying for every expansion and extra texture. Yay.
Coming soon to a Steam box near you.

I don't really mind paying thou. I figure between all my pirated pc stuff and my extensive playstation libraries, things are getting evened out somewhere.
[REDACTED]
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

It's more out of principle more than anything else, I think.
I prefer Nexus mods anyway. I mean look at this.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

I've always used nexus mods too. Mostly because I don't actually own skyrim... But that's besides the point. I like it
Mew?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

jacojerb wrote:First of, the smaller problem, the modders only get 25%... This is really kinda crappy. I think they should get at least 50%
If you look at it as the people who do the work get 25% and the people who were not involved get 75% then you see the issue there. Steam might provide a platform but you don't pay Eskom and Microsoft and Toyota a percentage of your business profits just because they provide a framework for it.
jacojerb wrote:Secondly, that a bunch of crappy mods (if not all mods) will now ask for money as well, where they don't all deserve it

Now for the advantage: I've seen some really incredible mods, some that really adds so much stuff, and I think that those mods were made by some people in their spare time, just for fun. Imagine if those people could work on it full time. Those mods would be worth it to buy
Things like Patreon already allow that. People have asked for donations since way in the beginning of gaming. Particularly with things that were shareware and episodic, like Cosmos' Cosmic Adventure and Doom.
jacojerb wrote:Please tell me what I'm missing. Bethesda said they might change the splitting of the money in the future, and the potential for good mods to grow outweighs the risk of bad mods asking for money. So... What's the problem? Why was it so much protested and removed within a week?
Well I'm sure I heard there was something else about money also being split if you'd based something off another mod. So that 25% would be split up even further.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~