Is consoles really pushing PC hardware in GTA V?

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Xanduin
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog
Region: Gauteng

Is consoles really pushing PC hardware in GTA V?

Post by Xanduin »

Grand Theft Auto V Benchmarked: Pushing PC Graphics To The Limit
http://kotaku.com/grand-theft-auto-v-be ... 1698670906

It does look pretty and high level of detail.

Creating a poorly optimized port is hardly pushing graphics on PC. The only game currently pushing PC graphics is Star Citizen with 100 000 polygons for a small ship. The draw distances are insane but cut down for performance reasons and limiting ships per instance. The game is currently limited by the hardware that exist with a slow down of hardware development due to consoles.

Fluke
Tyrant's Eye
Region: Other

Re: Is consoles really pushing PC hardware in GTA V?

Post by Fluke »

GTA V is known to be a rather decent port. Some optimizations are really appreciated and you can see how the game looks. However it does take a lot to run - but that's not surprising. It's a graphically beautiful game. Don't expect anything less than the most expensive hardware to run it to its full potential.

Which I hope to do at a real resolution of 1440p.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

I personally don't care that much about graphics. Playing a game for the graphics is like watching a movie for the soundtrack. It's nice to have, but not the reason you do it

That being said. Gta does look really good, and lags a bit on my pc on medium graphics (meaning "high". Because the game only has medium, high and very high). And the gameplay is really amazing
Mew?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

jacojerb wrote:I personally don't care that much about graphics. Playing a game for the graphics is like watching a movie for the soundtrack. It's nice to have, but not the reason you do it

That being said. Gta does look really good, and lags a bit on my pc on medium graphics (meaning "high". Because the game only has medium, high and very high). And the gameplay is really amazing
To me a soundtrack can EASILY, EASILY make or break a movie. It's why Hans Zimmer's movie scores really make movies much better. If I see a score done by Hans Zimmer for a movie, I will be much more inclined to see that movie. Just like graphics for a game.

I still wonder how many people will optionally download the high-resolution textures and crank the settings beyond "Very High". I'm guessing not much sadly.

Sidenote: It really irks me when people lie about their fps / settings in games.

eg: "I have a GTX460 and I get 80fps on GTA V on high at 1080p!" ye sure m8

If anyone is interested in the performance of GTA V: http://www.overclock.net/t/1550963/game ... v-gpu-test
KinkInZA
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Liger

Post by KinkInZA »

I got a Nvida twin frozer overclocked gtx465 and I barely get 40 Lolz
“All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake up in the day to find it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
T.E. Lawrence
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Please, this generation of consoles is a farce. Just out of the gate, and already having to make compromises to framerate and resolution.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Yeah no console that was going to be priced for general previous console-consumers to purchase would be capable of running GTA:V at an acceptable resolution.

We're talking about 290X Crossfire, R9 295X2 Titan X, 980 SLI being the only combination of GPU(s) that will run this game at its full potential. And those aren't exactly... console priced.

Good thing I have one of those GPUs :D
Just need to wait a few more weeks for it to get here :(
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

And which of those do you have, Mr Bragpants?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Alexander wrote:And which of those do you have, Mr Bragpants?
R9 295X2 :mrgreen:

Managed to get it for a steal of a price.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

*grumbles something under his breath*