Trying to find a game

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Trying to find a game

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

You know how sometimes you'll half remember something and then it'll bug you until you can remember the rest? I have that problem. I'm trying to remember the name of a game I once played. I only played a demo version but it was really cool. You played as the pilot of a spaceship of sorts and could fly all around this planet and through caves and up above the clouds. It was all in 3D, though that really old blocky 3D. It was either an early windows game or late DOS game, I think. I thought the name started with an 'H' but I can't seem to find anything. It's not Descent, I tried a demo of that. I don't think it was Descent II either as that sounded like the maps were too blocky. Does anyone have any idea what it might have been?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Trying to find a game

Post by Leeward »

If it's DOS / early Windows-era, try searching Abandonia by theme?
Only thing I can think of is Project Nomad, but that doesn't match your description very well.
http://www.abandonia.com/en/game/all/Flight/sortby%3D0
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Caves, you say?

It doesn't happen to be Descent does it?

Nevermind, I never read the full post.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Yeah, I tried the first Descent game and then I played the Descent II demo but they don't seem to be the same game. Maybe it could be Descent II but then it would have had two different demos and from everything I've seen the Descent games are all indoors. The game I played had caves that you could enter but most of it was a large outdoor world.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Found it! Tried Googling a description of the game world this morning and managed to track it down. The game is Hellbender. I think cause I'd been looking mostly through DOS game lists I hadn't found it. It was a Windows 95 game released in '96.

~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Hargan
Species: Foxeh
Region: Gauteng

Post by Hargan »

Yeah, got to this topic too late.

I know hellbender by it being the continuation of Fury3, which was my first flying sim.

Aaaaah memories
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power