Star Wars: The Old Republic

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Umuntu
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Western Cape

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Umuntu »

This is the first time in....damn, almost three years I have been on the forums.

Now my question is this. Which of our fellow furries plays Star Wars: The Old Republic? I need more furs to join in the fun XD

~Umi.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard

Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic

Post by Sev »

Has the FTP aspect of the game improved, or is it the same terribleness, where your fun is deliberately reduced unless you spend money?
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

Alas, free to play is still a bit stupid. But if you are not interested in end game content, then F2P is the best way to go. But if you do want to seriously get into end game content and power yourself up to the max, the subscription is better.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Do you still only have access to a limited number of space battles, etc, without paying?
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

That is correct, but to be honest...if you really like the game...it is worth by +- R300 every two months :)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Why must you torment me so, Bioware?
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

because Bioware loves you so much...isn't that was lovers are supposed to do, torment each other?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Umuntu wrote:That is correct, but to be honest...if you really like the game...it is worth by +- R300 every two months :)
That's R1800 a year to play a game! I bought full games for less than that that I can play forever. Games do seem bigger than they used to be but if you've paid R400-R600 for a game, I've seen some games costing that, that should be it forever.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

It is true what you say there, but at least you get new content every few months :-P But that is what a MMO is supposed to do...suck you dry for all the fun things. In the end it is really up to the person paying. Are you willing to spend that kind of money to see the game further itself and come out with better content and great story lines? Would you pay to see the game expand further than you would've imagined

If you look at what Star Wars: The Old Republic was when it came out, and where it is now. It is going places, and not only that, if you are a die hard fan like I am, then there is something about this game that just intrigues you.

In the end...too each his own.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

So you're saying that it's much better than it was at lauch, 'cause it pretty much sucked back then. Are most of the quests still distinctly WOW-esque?
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

i never played WoW [thank gawd] and never will. So I can't relate. But all the quests are still the same you pick it up. The thing I believe that attracts people to this came, is the full voice cast. none of this reading what the other person says the whole time...or maybe that there are 8 different storylines each with different outcomes, depending on your choices :)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, but "go there, kill this" quests aren't exactly the most riveting of things.
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

at least you are not killing innocent rabbits :-P

And for me it is not just go in and kill...but story and lore behind it. that is just me :)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I play games primarily for their gameplay and character interaction. Story does not interest me nearly as much.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

Monty you're being a little aggressive there: maybe tone it down a little? ;)

Hello Umuntu, and welcome back. Where have you been?

While I like the theme, and the cinematics for this game were some of the best I have ever seen, I'm reluctant to pick up another MMO seeing as I have some WoW and GW2 characters who have been sitting on ice for well over a year now. It doesn't help that a friend just gifted me Elite:Dangerous and I haven't played it yet either. I'm stockpiling games for a lonely holiday. :P

Out of interest though, what class do you play, and what's the PvP like?
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That was stated in a purely matter of fact way; there was absolutely no aggression behind it.
Umuntu

Post by Umuntu »

Ryall wrote:Monty you're being a little aggressive there: maybe tone it down a little? ;)

Hello Umuntu, and welcome back. Where have you been?

While I like the theme, and the cinematics for this game were some of the best I have ever seen, I'm reluctant to pick up another MMO seeing as I have some WoW and GW2 characters who have been sitting on ice for well over a year now. It doesn't help that a friend just gifted me Elite:Dangerous and I haven't played it yet either. I'm stockpiling games for a lonely holiday. :P

Out of interest though, what class do you play, and what's the PvP like?
I actually play all classes. Or at least I know how to play all classes. I prefer DPS, but I'm a pretty solid healer. I will do tanking only if necessary. Well that is if you asked what role I play.
When it comes to classes, I have 12 toons. So I have played all classes and now I how to use majority of them :)

the PVP...is actually rather fun. took me a while to get into it. Since I am on a PVE server, the only in world PVP you can do is when you flag yourself for PVP and then anyone from the other faction can attack you and vice versa. Yet you have to be careful, cause most people that are flagged for PVP have friends closeby :-P

The other way to play PVP in the PVE environment is to queue yourself for a PVP match. You will then be put in teams with random people, and you will enter a warzone area, where it is usually 8 vs 8. Each warzone has different objectives. You get smaller arenas where you play 4 vs 4. in a best out of three match.

As for where I have been...been in america for a few years...got back, now working a lot :-P that's about it.