Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Post by Ryall »

So, who is excited for this game, and who is considering purchasing it? :)
Be sure to check out the multiplayer linked below, and comment! :D

Response to nincompoops:

OH my goodness, where do I start?! :x
You people! Ignorant philistines! I will school you, but only because I love you! :ugeek:

The COD series has been one of the most innovative FPS series to date I will have you know! CoD 1 and 2 brought scripted, cinematic campaigns to amazing new levels, and introduced amazingly entertaining multiplayer to the "realistic" shooter genre: a fresh alternative to the already aging recipe of Counter Strike. It had better maps, better movement, better graphics and better weapons than CS.

Then COD:4, 'Modern Warfare,' came out and that introduced revolutionary new levels of customization to the genre: persistent leveling, achievements, perks, and various gun unlocks and modifications. Let's not forget kill-streaks either. Modern Warfare 2 dramatically improved on that forumula with better gameplay, increased customization options, and amazing new kill streaks like AC-130 gunships, sentry-guns, harrier-airstrikes and tactical nukes. As there were different counters to these kill streaks, it added a whole new dimension to the gameplay.

Now I know the series stagnated with MW3, Black Ops 1, and Ghosts; I didn't even buy Ghosts. It is inherently difficult to keep innovating with each release. The 'pick 10' customization system in Black Ops II was pretty great, and fresh though.

Now we see Advanced Warfare coming out. Behold simpletons: the second Golden-Age of CoD:

Now before you say, "but Ryall, this looks like Titanfall," I urge you to shut your pie holes. Jump jets were available in Tribes and dynamic levels were available in Half Life death-match (crossfire anyone?).

There is no single 'innovative' feature, and many of these features have existed in much older games, but the way it will blend these features and implement them all will provide for an original and exciting new experience. Besides, unlike Titanfall, this will be sold in South Africa and will feature local servers.

Also, video games don't kill games - in fact they often build brains - but if you are concerned about the lack of mental stimulation in FPS games, then you should play more RTS games like me. Although I am sure if Super Mario can increase the volume of your brain, then a tactical shooter like CoD definitely can.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare

Post by Sev »

There is absolutely NO WAY that CoD could be called a tactical shooter. It is unashamedly marketed as an arcade shooter.

Even CS:GO is considered an arcade shooter. The early Tom Clancy games are tactical shooters (Ghost Recon, Rainbox Six). More recent tactical shooters include Red Orchestra 2 and Insurgency 2. These are all very niche games in comparison to "mainstream" FPSes. CoD is not niche by ANY stretch of the imagination.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Geez, one would think your father was murdered by an arcade shooter. :/
Yes, alright, I concede it is not a "tactical shooter" per say but my intention was to distinguish it from a mindless run-and-gun like Quake 3 Arena, although there are tactics to Quake and CoD can be played pretty mindlessly but yeah. Whatever. It certainly requires more thought than N64 Mario Bros.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Calling Q3:A mindless is an utter farce. Have you ever seen the game being played at a competitive level? The number of things that must be considered is mindboggling. The game has a much higher skill ceiling than CoD.
SnowDragon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Post by SnowDragon »

I'll probably buy it. Mabye. Stuck between keeping cash for COD (long time fan) or buying Titanfall, which I jammed a bit in a pub. It was awesome, and the game is way faster than COD. But.. Eh. I'll probably end up pre-ordering COD: Advanced Warfare.
Daylight dancer, Moonlit wonder;
Manifest upon the very gates of eden..
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm kind of sad Q3A isn't really played online any more... Unless I'm utterly retarded and can't figure out where the servers are. I'd be up for a game, for old times' sake. It's one of the few games my PC plays decently.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

But but but... I have Q3A and Q3TA already, isn't there a way to tweak where it searches for games (if they still exist)? (I knew QL existed but wasn't sure how similar it was.)
Last edited by Leeward on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

This is basically the new official version of Q3:A. It's the exact same game, it's free, and it's actually still played online.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Oh sweet. Guess I can store away the CDs then, other than for LANning.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

MontgomerySeven wrote:Calling Q3:A mindless is an utter farce. Have you ever seen the game being played at a competitive level? The number of things that must be considered is mindboggling. The game has a much higher skill ceiling than CoD.
Don't be daft M7. Anticipating where your opponent is going to move, and firing a rocket there so that you can switch to your railgun and 1-shot them when they get popped into the air isn't a consideration: it's a reflex. How and when to use your flashbangs and frag grenades; your team's positioning, defense and attack paths in complex maps as well as your team's weapon load out. Those are actual considerations.

And don't tell me there's a higher skill ceiling because all that says to me is that you haven't seen quick-scopers in CoD and the work they do both with their rifles, and their pistol sidearms. Generally they're firing at smaller targets, using smaller munitions than in quake, and -unlike quake - people don't float slowly through the air when they jump off of something.

EDIT: Nobody has said what they think of that video yet?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

In Quake, you have to consider where you enemy is likely to go and what equipment he is likely to have. You have to consider the respawn times and positions of weapons, armor, and health. It's about getting the terrain advantage, and about denying your opponent that advantage - that requires near perfect map knowledge. It's about knowing when to play it safe, and when to go for that extra frag. What's more, Q3 rewards skillful movement and aiming more than any other game; weapons like the railgun are extremely high risk high reward.

To your comment about quickscoping: only one sniper per team is allowed to use a sniper rifle in competitive play. The rest tend to run around with AKs and Deagles.

You're talking to someone who has spent the last six years playing competitively. Have you ever participated in a *formal* competitive event, Ryall?
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

Given I've only ever bought CodBO1 (and that was back on PS3), and only played single player, and this game looking to have a good SP Story I might get it,

The multi player looks awesome in that vid, but I doubt I'll do nearly as well.
Would be fun to play though, mayhaps
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

MontgomerySeven wrote:In Quake, you have to consider where you enemy is likely to go and what equipment he is likely to have. You have to consider the respawn times and positions of weapons, armor, and health. It's about getting the terrain advantage, and about denying your opponent that advantage - that requires near perfect map knowledge. It's about knowing when to play it safe, and when to go for that extra frag.
Everything you just said, except for armor/ health and weapon spawns, applies to CoD. CoD has far more complex maps: not only in terms of design, but in terms of actual mechanics such as mounting/ climbing, penetration/ cover, line of sight and sound.

There are specific places in every map where you have to learn that if you throw a grenade at the exact spot, with the right timing, it will always hit someone who is running from the enemy spawn. There are also various explosives, including cars, that can be detonated in different ways.

You have to keep in mind what weapons the enemy is using. If they're using submachine guns instead of assault rifles, it's going to change the way they play and the routes they take, and how they move. Every gun type changes your gameplay drastically. Even shotguns at competitive levels are used very differently to submachine guns, even though they fill the same close range roll.

Quake's mechanics are obvious and simple. In CoD, there are obvious mechanics, like weapon accuracy and recoil, but then there are more subtle ones too, like weapon range (short-ranged weapons do 1/4 damage at long range), penetration, and reload times. Then there are grenade mechanics. Do you have enough time to pull the pin and throw before your enemy charges you? What will they do? How far can you bounce it? Throw a grenade without cooking it, as a distraction?

Not to mention you have to co-ordinate with your team, and come up with sound strategies while responding to the enemy team's strategy.

Competitive Quake is usually just played 1v1.
MontgomerySeven wrote:What's more, Q3 rewards skillful movement and aiming more than any other game; weapons like the railgun are extremely high risk high reward.
Rubbish. Do you even think this through? Railguns are just as accurate when hip-fired and moving, and their zoom is instantaneous. Furthermore, their projectile is much larger than a sniper rifle round, and they are typically used at much shorter range than in CoD because of the map size, meaning you're firing at a larger target. Not to mention, a person sprinting in CoD, or sprinting and then jumping around a corner, is moving faster than a player running in Quake. Quake doesn't even have sprint.
MontgomerySeven wrote: You're talking to someone who has spent the last six years playing competitively. Have you ever participated in a *formal* competitive event, Ryall?
Firstly, anyone can watch pro players practicing and competing in Quake and draw rational comments about it. You've clearly watched competitive Quake games - as have I - but you either haven't watched or played competitive CoD, or you haven't given it much thought.

I was a close personal friend of D3tox (I say was because he passed away recently), and he and his clan, BFB, won the Call of Duty 4 DGL 2011 championships. I played against him frequently at LANs, and watched him play at Rage when he won in 2011. Have you in your 6 years ever played in the finals of a DGL championship?

Secondly, don't be so arrogant to assume you're this hot-shot competitive gamer who knows more than me just because you've played six years of Battlefield in a clan. You don't even know what I have done. I was ranked 97 in the world at Supreme Commander, when I played it in 2007. To get to that spot, I won some of the lower bracket tournaments hosted by Gas Powered Games. In 2010, I played against the second best SupCom2 player at the time in a tournament hosted by GameReplays.org (which I was a staff writer for). The match was in the preliminary rounds, and was live-streamed to 300 people (because of who I was playing against). I nearly beat him, and I should have, but when I had crippled him I went onto the defense instead of finishing him off, because I overestimated him, which ultimately resulted in a narrow victory on his part. I was also top 10 Diamond League for 8 Starcraft II seasons - every season I played. I would have played in the DGL tournaments, but they always took place close to tests and exams, and university took priority. I sparred regularily with my friend Hellshound, who was #1 in the world at Supreme Commander 1 and 2 (he went on to win all the GameReplay.org tournaments), and who went to Rage and played in the Starcraft 2 DGL final in 2012.

So yeah, I know about competitive gaming. :roll:

Christ you waste my time with your stupid comments, M7. I was joking when I called the others nincompoops...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

To answer your question about DGC: when I played for PewPew Gaming back in BF3, they were supposed to play at rAge, but then the stupid organizers reduced the number of clans participating by half.

With regards to CoD, Taka's brother used to play for the top ranked Blops clan in South Africa, and I was able to go toe to toe with him in MW2. I once had the honor of playing against one of the best Quake Live players in SA - it was the single most one sided game I have ever played. To say that I was destroyed would be a massive understatement. What does that tell you about the relative skill difference in these games?
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

It means A) you suck at Quake because it's very different from Battlefield and B) Taka's brother was probably D team for Sourh Africa's 4th best clan at the Call of Duty I explicitly said sucked.

Also, don't compare being at the bottom of the list of DGL Rage clans to winning DGL.
SnowDragon
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon

Post by SnowDragon »

I agree with Ryall. I might not have played much COD at a comp level, but I have played enough of them to know that the strategy is very involved, and the game is highly dynamic, changing constantly depending on both your loadout and the enemy team loadout. I can't say that I'm the greatest though, Zombies is my forte. Our little team owns at Zombies. ^^,
Daylight dancer, Moonlit wonder;
Manifest upon the very gates of eden..
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

You are absolutely fcking welcome to take me on in CS, BF, or even that hacked together, recycled game you call CoD. I am absolutely in a state right now because my code is not compiling, and I wanted to feel good about one single thing.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

And you are welcome to take me on in any Strategy game you can think of, but what will that prove?
None of this is about feeling good: it's about being rational. Trust me, there were plenty of other things I could have been doing too rather than typing that small essay posted above.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Fine, I will disregard everything that I have said up until this point expect one thing: CS is a much better competitive game than CoD is. CS was pretty much built from the ground up to be competitive. CoD was built to appeal to as wide a market as possible. Even BF has this issue: it sucks as a competitive game because it is so incredibly unfocused.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Alright. I disagree: I think the competitive MOD that DGL runs uses for CoD 4 makes it just as skillful as CounterStrike, but I'll leave it at that. Neither of us are huge CS fans. :P
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I like playing FPS games. I don't care which is better, I just have fun. :P
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Who said that I am not a CS fan? I grew up playing CS.

The fact that Promod was required to make CoD 4 competitive should tell you something. Granted, Promod is amazing.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

I said not *huge* fans: you've been playing BF for the past. 6 years. ;)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

No, I've been playing BF competitively since early 2012. I played CS before that.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Guys, there seems to be quite a lot of arguing here that doesn't seem very constructive and straying from civility at times.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

It's fine Rakuen, party's over. :P

Now will people please watch that video and say what they think? :)
<Thank you Snow Dragon for being the only one on topic. ;) >
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Okay well the video makes the game look like a ton of fun, with a lot of interesting manoeuvres one can pull off (I especially liked the backwards jetpack-assisted jump to behind the pursuing enemy). Sadly though, I would have to win the lottery before I could play this. Frankly, I'm happy playing a "mindless" run-and-gun like TF2, Quake, or Borderlands.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Hehe Lee, there's nothing wrong with "mindless" run and guns. The only reason I mentioned it was because of Dredge's joke. ;)
Although if you ask me, TF2 can be pretty strategic depending on what class you're playing. :)

I hope you manage to get that PC upgrade sometime in the not-too-distant future. :(
Gaz
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Rubber Gazelle

Post by Gaz »

First CoD I've been interested in, in quite sometime. I like the look of the MP with the Crysis-esque exosuits.

Looks, visually, much better than most CoDs have been, but it's Sledgehammers first bash(har har pun) at the series so we'll have to wait and see.