Scariest game

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Nixole
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Daschund
Region: Other

Scariest game

Post by Nixole »

I have a insanely scarey game on my pc called SCP containment breach. I died about 5 times.....during the intro before I figured out you can turn it off. It took me a month to get the pluck to try again. If you guys can check it out, you really should. It's on the Jan PC Format disc, but I'm sure its also online for free downloading. What are some of the scariest games you guys have played?
Boy I wish I could change my username .....
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Re: Scariest game

Post by Ryall »

I would have to say Alien vs Predator 2, as the marines. It might be a bit dated, and not all that scary now though - it was released in 2001. I just remember it as being terrifying from when I played it in my childhood.

Dead Space 1 was also pretty scary. I can't say I have played all that many horror games.

One of the scariest games I have ever heard of is Outlast. I've never played it, but give it a go if you're feeling brave.
Hahaha! :lol:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Doom.

Yeah, it's not a scary game but I first played it when it was on my aunt's PC and I must have been like 7 or 8 years old. I'd heard about it and when I started it I didn't move from spawn position for like 5 minutes (I hadn't ever seen it played or any enemies) before just closing it. So that's the most scared I've been by a game, where I couldn't bring myself to even move.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Nixole

Post by Nixole »

Wow no I can't play Doom or any game with graphics like that for more than 5 minutes before needing to put the pc off and take a break. It's not scary or gory or anything like that. The graphics just leave my stomach doing unhappy flips and flops.... I think it has to do with the fact that I wear glasses haha @_@;
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

F.E.A.R 1 Extraction Point.

Yup the demented scene where the lights switches on and off in the warehouse and suddenly you're surrounded by horrid faceless figures then one last off and on. They're all gone! Your co-partner get's levitated by an invisible force then smacked against the roof and ground as you hear him scream in agony, he get's crushed then thrown out the door.

That bit freaked me out.

Dead space didn't come close. Chilling but the 3rd person view angle screwed up the sensation of living yourself into the game.
SnowDragon
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by SnowDragon »

Yeah, FEAR takes the cake here.
Daylight dancer, Moonlit wonder;
Manifest upon the very gates of eden..
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

When Bioshock came out that 1st scene where you are told to leave the vessel just after having that one crazy splicer tried tear you out of it took me about 5 min to work up the courage ;D

After you get some weapons and such it loses all fear factor though(Not being a horror game after all), just the odd jump scares.

Otherwise most horror games Ive played i just found to be more stressful then fun /scary
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

SnowDragon wrote:Yeah, FEAR takes the cake here.
F.E.A.R 2 and above was utter nonsense in the scary factor. Not nearly as chilling as the first instalment. Although I would have to admit, the mech section was insanely fun in F.E.A.R 2. I got nostalgia attacks from the days I played Mech Warrior.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Pfff... Deadspace? FEAR? that your pussy horror titles? Ok FEAR had its moments but it really wasn't anything memorable, mainly because in FEAR I had a gun. And deadspace isn't scary cause you get the Line gun(I think that's the name) and you just one shot everything in half.

Want horror? try Amnesia: the dark decent. it will fill you with fear and if your brave enough to stick with the game it will mess you up with its story. and yea I know I keep bashing Amnesia:TDD as the best horror I have seen.
Nixole

Post by Nixole »

Games where scary things jump out kind of frequently aren't really that scary. It's the games where you know there's something there and encountering it instantly kills you and there's literally nothing you can do about killing it. That's what makes my pick for scariest game so terrifying. You don't get a single weapon and the main monster will instantly kill you if it can see you and you aren't looking at it or your character blinks. That screen before the game over.....
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

SCP: Containment Breach was less scary and a lot more tense. in my opinion. mainly because your constantly being chased by a monster and frequently killed by said monster. I prefer a horror that has good pace and build of atmosphere. But I hate it when games use jumpscare tactic, there is fear and then there is being startled. I was startled when there was a pigeon in the house but that doesn't make it a concept for a hit new horror
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sakul Ebbon wrote:Pfff... Deadspace? FEAR? that your pussy horror titles? Ok FEAR had its moments but it really wasn't anything memorable, mainly because in FEAR I had a gun.
You played it wrong.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Minecraft. The scariest moment I had in any game was in minecraft

I died. Went to get my stuff back, only to find it surrounded by three spiders. Decided "screw it, I'll wait till morning". Run for my life from the spiders. Hunger is high, can't sprint. Just keep going. Fell into a hole I didn't see. In a cave surrounded by 4 creepers...
I swear, no "scary game" has ever had me that terrified in my life. I cried...
Mew?
Sunny Fox
Species: Silver Fox

Post by Sunny Fox »

SCP: Containment Breach is a scary game x3 good luck Nixole

good scary games i can think of know are Outlast, F.E.A.R 1 the extraction files, Kravon Manor, Condemned: Criminal Origins, cant think of others right now x3

BUT, some pawsome horror games im excited for are Among the Sleep and The Evil Within~
Yes it is true ^^, i was passed through this odd configuration of a human and for many years have pondered..believed that i am a therion, but i lurk in this furry fandom for it is a good way to stay close to my fox corporeal *giggles* so my "sojourn" is an aeon ^,..,^

Furaffinity
Furrbook
Steam
Dota2
Skype Ask me ^^,
Whatsapp: ask me ^^,
VoxLupus
Species: FuzzDragon

Post by VoxLupus »

One of the first 'scary' games I remember playing was Dead Space.
I played it on one of the harder difficulties so it took more than a couple shots to just take of one of the necromorphs limbs, which, by the way, didn't stop them coming at you. I got pretty far in but I ended up putting it off for a few months before finishing it. It did employ a lot of those 'shock tactics' to give you scares which some people would complain about, but they also nailed the atmosphere of the game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent, is an obvious one. The fact that you have no weapons to fight really did give you a sense of helplessness. I have experienced some truly terrifying moments in that game that I still occasionally have flashbacks to. I think I may have PTSD :?. I didn't like the one gameplay mechanic though where you went insane in the darkness and from looking at the mutants. It is like the game is trying to tell you that you are supposed be scarred (which it really didn't have to do). I really enjoyed that game and it was something completely different from the games I was used to.

I recently got outlast. Played it for about 10 minutes. Didn't see any enemies or anything but I got a bit freaked out just quit. I really need to give that game another try :lol:.
Twisted_Dan
Species: Chipmunk

Post by Twisted_Dan »

Sorry to be so late to the party but since I didn't see it mentioned, which is totally inexcusable, System Shock 2.

Yes, it is very very old. But it also excessively good and really quite terrifying in places.

Also, if you're interested in a bit of the lore behind SCP - Containment Breach feel free to visit the SCP wiki if you haven't already.
I have won at least one Internet.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Battlefield 4, 'cause it stops working the middle of a clan match. :(
Dredge
Species: Rabbit

Post by Dredge »

Just based on my original experiences, not if I replay them now, F.E.A.R. and Dead Space 1.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Please, F.E.A.R. is not scary. How could you possibly be scared in a game where you are a fully equipped super soldier?

Now don't get me wrong, F.E.A.R. is one of my favorite shooters to this day - it's just a pretty terrible horror game. I finished F1, plus its two XPs, got right to the end of F2, and even played its silly XP; there were a handful of moments in all of them that could actually be considered scary. Overall, Extraction Point was the closest to being scary, while F2 was the farthest.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

MontgomerySeven wrote:Please, F.E.A.R. is not scary. How could you possibly be scared in a game where you are a fully equipped super soldier?

Now don't get me wrong, F.E.A.R. is one of my favorite shooters to this day - it's just a pretty terrible horror game. I finished F1, plus its two XPs, got right to the end of F2, and even played its silly XP; there were a handful of moments in all of them that could actually be considered scary. Overall, Extraction Point was the closest to being scary, while F2 was the farthest.
^^ That's why I said based on my 'original experiences' :P Most of the game was a complete push-over even on hardest and Fear 2 was even more so, but there were moments in the original that creeped me out as much as anything I've experienced in Silent Hill, Dead Space etc...

May have been my age, or that my perception of how scared I genuinely was is a little skewed after all these years ;)

Extraction Point the scariest? Never played it because of how some critics slated it, I'll look at giving it a go at some point then.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Oh, don't get me wrong, F.E.A.R was *extremely* creepy. However, creepy != scary.

Extraction Point is worth the go purely for the new weapons. Laser Rifle for the win!
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

MontgomerySeven wrote:Oh, don't get me wrong, F.E.A.R was *extremely* creepy. However, creepy != scary.

Extraction Point is worth the go purely for the new weapons. Laser Rifle for the win!
I found FEAR to be very boring actually.

Also people should play Outlast if they want to be scared. Play it late at night, gamma down low and sound up high. Fullscreen, no breaks.

It's great, and terrifying.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

My sister clocked it twice in one sitting; her verdict: not bad.

Now she can't wait for the expansion.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Okay, perhaps I used the wrong word then xD

Creepy, it was creepy. I remember being genuinely terrified at one or two points, but ya.

I've seriously got to get around to playing Amnesia, it's been staring at me in my library for god knows how long..untouched -_-

And flip! I missed Outlasts sale by like 10 minutes, totally disappoint. It's definitely high up on my list of 'Games-to-fkin-finish' after Amnesia and Walking Dead Season 2.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Dredge wrote:Okay, perhaps I used the wrong word then xD

Creepy, it was creepy. I remember being genuinely terrified at one or two points, but ya.

I've seriously got to get around to playing Amnesia, it's been staring at me in my library for god knows how long..untouched -_-

And flip! I missed Outlasts sale by like 10 minutes, totally disappoint. It's definitely high up on my list of 'Games-to-fkin-finish' after Amnesia and Walking Dead Season 2.

Outlast was much more scary for me than Amnesia.

I guess because I actually involved myself into the atmosphere of Outlast if you will.