War Thunder

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

War Thunder

Post by Ryall »

Alright, so, Warthunder is a pretty cool, free to play steam game. It's a vehicle combat simulator which focuses on naval, air, and armored combat. Think of World of Tanks, World of Planes, and World of Warships except you can have all the tank, aircraft and navy players fighting on the same battlefield. It's still in it's beta, and so only the air combat is finished (the armored combat is about to launch soon), and you can play with a vast selection of planes from a variety of different countries ranging from World War I aircraft to Korean War planes (bi-planes to MiG-15s).

It's free, it's a lot of fun, and while it has a lot of content already, there is still much more to come: try it out. Myself, Fluke and VoxLupus play.

Here's the trailer which is pretty cool: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sfA-NsbzJY .
Hahaha! :lol:
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Re: War Thunder

Post by rusted hydra »

Been playing since last year. I've almost got lvl.3 planes with Germany, got a lvl.2 line up with British planes, and almost a full Russian lvl.2 lineup.
Ryall wrote: Think of World of Tanks, World of Planes, and World of Warships...
Though it should be noted that Wargaming(makers of -- of tanks, -- of WarPlanes, world of warships) take a 'Arcade game with SOME historical bases' approach e.g. all of wargaming titles you have health and some historical numbers of tanks are edited to improve balancing and you will suffer from the game's RNG(random number generator) fucking you over hard also you'll see some tanks and planes that never even made it out of the proposal stage (not even blueprint point)

Gaijin(producers of Warthunder) have taken a lot more historical approach. planes and tanks can be taken out with a single shot, and at the same time(if no critical components are hit) you'll survive 10x more hits. All values are edited to make the peices operate as close to their historical performance. Yes Warthunder has an arcade mode(with 'lighter' gameplay ) but its realistic mode will make you feel like your in a real plane (though you can always go simulator for some extra immersion, but don't do it on first go.)

you might not like warthunder as it plays different from world of tanks and world of warplanes
also warthunder has a -sort of- skilled matchmaking system while the other doesn't

I enjoy warthunder alot but I don't play that much (though I will never play World of warplanes again, that was shit). especially since I got a Bf.109 F1, plane is terrible -.- and the one 20mm cannon is not that great when every match up leaves me flying against higher lvl planes that out turn, out gun, and out run me.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

I switched from Germans to Russians for exactly that reason Sakul: the early Messerschmitts are rubbish, and I quite enjoy the heavy fire power and decent maneuverability of the Russians, but right now the Messerschmitts and Focke-Wulfs are the bane of my existence.

All the Fw planes are strong, and the BF from the BF109 F4/trop onwards are devastating. It doesn't really make sense to me: their stats are mediocre, and yet in game the Fw's and late BF's do terrible, terribly damage, are extremely fast and climb really well as well. It's because of this, that all the German pilots use these hit-and-run tactics where they will dive onto you, hopefully killing you on the first fly by, and just fly in a straight line from there shooting as many things as they can before climbing and getting ready for another run.

Even in my heavily armored Russian fighters, I still get absolutely wrecked by that darned Luftwaffe.

My advice is, if you enjoy that hit-and-run style of play, stick with the Germans or go American, and you will be rewarded. Avoid their bombers and heavy fighters: those things are useless.

If you want to play with well-rounded planes with high maneuverability and decent firepower, then fly British or Russian (Britain is more maneuverable but Russia is faster).

If you are a fan of dueling, light armaments and incredibly tight turning circles then go Japan, although, personally I would not recommend them to anyone: their planes get shredded far too easily, and even the best pilot cannot dodge the hail of bullets that some American and British planes unleash.

In my opinion, the Germans have a poor early game but get strong fighters early on, same as Japan. Russia has very strong bi-planes, but have weak rank 1, and early rank 2 fighters. Their late rank 2, and rank 3 onward is very strong. Britain and America are consistently good across all their ranks.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Yea I know all that. But honestly I just need to stop playing arcade, realistic mode bf.109s have a more pronounced advantage of altitude and speed. And the problem with the f-1 is its so bad compared to the E-4. and the skill modifier altering battle rating upping me against yak-9ks, typhoons and bf.109 f-4/trop in every match.

2x20mm on the e-4 can rip the higher lvl planes. but the single 20mm on the f-1 just doesn't cut the cake and I want to play it so I can have that bonus Rp for the next Bf109. it'll probably get better when I get some upgrades done on it.

Would have already gotten to the fw. if I hadn't lost my account mid last year
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This game looked pretty cool so I decided to give it a try. Spent most of yesterday downloading it, though I did pause overnight, and it should be done before I'm done with breakfast.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:This game looked pretty cool so I decided to give it a try. Spent most of yesterday downloading it, though I did pause overnight, and it should be done before I'm done with breakfast.
if possible start playing with the russians. their starter planes are really forgiving
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Their bi-planes are certainly the best. Beware of their early LaGGs and MiGs though: they have problems pulling up, which has resulted in me crashing into the ground many times.

Britain is probably the best starter race, just because Spitfires and Hurricanes are amazing, and you get them quite early on.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I started with Britain and now have America too. Seems fairly simple to fly, though I'm not great at it. Now idea how to escape other planes. I'm not getting the worst scores when I play so I guess I'm not too bad. Outside of the actual dogfights it looks kinda complicated and I have no idea what I'm doing. Did manage to upgrade some planes but not in any sort of planned manner.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Don't worry about it. Youtube can provide you with more detail on what to do.

I recommend eNtaK. he has had a bunch of his videos featured in warthunder's news section.

Tutorial and Beginners Guides - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... _ba__nq76w

and the new playlist he is making to bring his toutorials up to date with recent interface and reaserch system changes - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... MLrk2-TQTF
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Here are a few guides: http://warthunder.wikia.com/wiki/Guides ... 26_Tactics

I would read over the tactics, basic fighter maneuvers, and air combat maneuvering guides for a few pointers and ideas. Note there is also a video section on the wiki that is useful.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Hey so I've started playing this again now that the Tanks are out. The enemy will know fear when they face my KV-1s!

What between this and Company of Heroes 2 I definitely seem to be rolling with a soviets theme at the moment. I am not sure how this happened: I've always fancied the German uniforms and military hardware but anyway. I guess I enjoy the aggressive gameplay of the Russians.

Rakuen, I have added you on steam: I see you've been playing a good deal of that game, and recently too.

For everyone else, now is a good time to get into the game. You can find me on the furry steam group as 'Truth Hurts.'

It's free to play, has lots of content, and has a very unobtrusive business model so you should get it.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Ryall wrote:What between this and Company of Heroes 2 I definitely seem to be rolling with a soviets theme at the moment. I am not sure how this happened: I've always fancied the German uniforms and military hardware but anyway. I guess I enjoy the aggressive gameplay of the Russians.
Speaking of which, when are we going to play CoH 1?

Also, how could you abandon the Wehrmacht? I mean come on; they fielded the first assault rifle, the first night-vision, the first jet fighter, the first handheld AT that was actually effective, the first long-range ballistic missile...

That, and the Stahlhelm was in a league of its own, and, of course, lets not forget that they had the two best tanks of the war in their class (unit for unit).
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm having weird download issues with War Thunder on Steam... probably just Steam up to its usual antics.
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

Yea installing warthunder through steam is a little finniky.
I suggest download from gaijin directly the launcher and have it download it.
Also know now that updates can sometimes be finniky, just leave it for a while and it will finish on its own
rusted hydra
Cannibal

Post by rusted hydra »

anyone wants to they can add me on steam S1nk@rlvl@

give me a message there or in warthunder ( my nick is S1nkarlvla )

I have started T3 with German aviation and nearing T3 with my British planes (and can play anything below those lvls as well)
Note at the moment I am playing realistic mode with my Russian tanks and fly my BF.109E-3 mainly(even though I have higher tier things) and Ive started playing a spitfire with my joystick