Xbox ONE!

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Koda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Wusky
Region: Gauteng

Xbox ONE!

Post by Koda »

Ok so my mind is now completely blown and splattered all over the floor =D

Xbox one was just announced, IT LOOKS AMAZING.
Here check it out: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/

Thoughts?
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...

Re: Xbox ONE!

Post by Gothic Collie »

They posted the QA not too long ago: http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

It clearly states that they will be charging to re-activate used games, games will have a compulsory HDD install, and that your games must be tied to your Xbox live account.

If you read between the lines, that would mean that the console requires a internet connection to activate a game when you insert it for the first time, and that means if you don't have a internet connection the console wont function properly.

Its a bad idea, especially here where not every xbox gamer has a internet connection.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

It's a bad idea even for PC games. When I got my desktop I didn't have internet to my room. I activated Windows over the phone. If I got a console it wouldn't have internet either, unless it was wireless.

Some features designers add are great but they are thinking exclusively about Europeans and Americans living with high-speed, uncapped internet. I don't think they even realise that not everyone has that.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

It looks crap. And MS/EA are being idiots about it.

"8-10 times better than any PC today" - EA

Yeah sure, considering it uses previous-gen lower-mid range hardware with a very limited CPU in terms of raw power. I am sure it is 8-10 times better than any PC around.....
Looks like the PS4 is here to save the day. Heck, I would only buy a console for Gran Turismo anyway, but they're too expensive so that looks like it's out of the option.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13970 ... r-the-mpaa

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.

Also this:
1369311795550.jpg
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Fluke wrote:Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.
^This.

:lol:
Durosuka
Species: Liger

Post by Durosuka »

I honestly don't see the point in the Xbox one.

Whenever I see more and more news of it I think its even worse. Have you seen the press conference? They barely even spoke about games. Its all TV TV TV Halo TV series more TV, Call of duty TV series, social media, TV TV TV TV.

and now there is cloud rendering for your graphics, once a day online check, game activation for second hand games....

remember the ps2? I opened the disk tray, I put game in tray, I play game. wasn't that the advantage of console over PC? What happened to those times?
Time to change
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Lol, Sony just pwned Microsoft at E3.

www.dailymotion.com/video/x10rzzh
[REDACTED]
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

The Xbone....

The only thing I have to say for it is this:

Killer Instinct is being released for it. Hoo-freaking-ray.
It will have 1 character and all the rest will have to be bought.
Well, there goes all my interest in ever owning a big brother box, where you can't turn off the webcam or speaker.
And microsoft admit that they'll use the information they garner from the camera and speaker being always on.
And you have an "offline" mode which has to be connected once every 24 hours or else no games work
And if you don't have American internet access, Microsoft tell you: get and xbox 360 http://www.ibtimes.com/no-internet-xbox ... -interview (The video is worth it to actually hear them say that).
All this combines into one sentence:

I hear Sony Playstation 4 did well at e3 this year :P
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Wow just wow.

This is going to be a LOL.
Gothic Collie
Species: Collie or African Wild Dog...

Post by Gothic Collie »

Let me sum it up a bet better:

Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Ok Gothic, that one is better than the first one I saw :3

I love it
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Koda

Post by Koda »

Lol, I must say, I AM SO DISSAPOINTED> Microsoft, YOU MESSED UP BIG TIME. First there was windows 8, and now, xbone.... -_-
I will all ways treasure my 360 thogh =)
*Jumps from out of the tall grass* Hug attaAAAAAAAAAck!!!!!*and then falls flat on his face*
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

I see no one has brought up the X bone's huge money grabbing invasion of privacy
(warm body's patent)

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers
[REDACTED]
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Helios_phi wrote:I see no one has brought up the X bone's huge money grabbing invasion of privacy
(warm body's patent)

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers
Fluke wrote: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/13970 ... r-the-mpaa

Microsoft has filed for a Kinect-related patent, and it’s a doozy of an application. The abstract describes a camera-based system that would monitor the number of viewers in a room and check to see if the number of occupants exceeded a certain threshold set by the content provider. If there are too many warm bodies present, the device owner would be prompted to purchase a license for a greater number of viewers.
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

Doh....
Awwww. That's even the exact wording..... Well played Rapture forum, you've made me look quite the fool.

http://www.raptureforums.com/forum/elec ... movie.html

Its word for word verbatim......
Sorry fluke
[REDACTED]
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

^ Shouldn't be upset. I loled again when I re-read it. :lol:

Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

I see MS is also against indie dev houses. You either have a publisher, or you don't get releases on the XBox One.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/ ... cept-xbox/

Luckily for MS there's no successful indie game that could help sales of the console.
Durosuka

Post by Durosuka »

wait wait wait. no indie? whaaaaat? how desperate is MS for money? (publishers make more money acording to busniess research, even though indie makes more)

they just keep digging that hole deeper and deeper
Time to change
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Lol, its starting to feel like ms is doing this on porpouse. Imagine if they're actually just busy trolling the whole world right now. Its actually starting to feel like a logical explination to me... I swear, if they turn around now and tell everyone they were just joking, I would actually not be surprised...
Mew?
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

^ 10/10 Would read again.
[REDACTED]
Durosuka

Post by Durosuka »

claps paws. well done auric! I absolutly love this!
Time to change
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I thought Linux has been winning in the server and high-performance computing area for the past couple of decades. Windows only had the, admittedly bigger, desktop market.

I probably would've chosen an X-Box 360 over Playstation 3 but there's no way I'd take X-Box One over Playstation 4. Though I'm unlikely to buy a console any time in the near future.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Durosuka

Post by Durosuka »

Ok sorry but I couldn't find a youtube link for the vid on this site. its only about 20MB and loads on startup

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/ ... Everything
Time to change
Koda

Post by Koda »

BAHAHAHAHAHA BURRRRRN!!!! BURN MICROSOFT TO THE GROUND FOR RUINING XBOX!!!! BURRRRN
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Ok ok... breathes... Auric, best thing I've read in long time, and feels a bit stupid for actually not seeing it.

Have you guys seen these 2 fails yet?

Get Banned and flush all your money down the loo.
http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread. ... ne-library

Secondly:
http://mygaming.co.za/news/xbox/55355-x ... vidia.html

I'm starting to think this can't be real, no major corporation can be this stupid. OK guys, Jokes over now please show us the new Xbox thing.
Durosuka

Post by Durosuka »

diggy diggy hole! (if you don't get the reference then don't worry)
Time to change
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Auric Silverwing wrote:The Lehman Brothers, Fannie Mae and all the other large finance firms in the US saw no problem selling financial products that essentially didn't exist (and crashed the economy in 2009).
I have to intercede here on behalf of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They were government institutions, and the housing they sold were mandated by law. Partially privatised, yes, but still under a government mandate. The idea was to finance housing for low-income groups, and so stimulate their economic growth (sounds familiar, anyone?). Market speculators and investors did the rest of the damage.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Auric Silverwing wrote:
Valerion wrote:I have to intercede here on behalf of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They were government institutions, and the housing they sold were mandated by law. Partially privatised, yes, but still under a government mandate.
Parastatals, basically, though they call them GSEs in the States :)

The point I was making though is that, simply because companies are big, with massive spending power and thousands of employees, doesn't make them immune to some pretty spectacularly bad decisions. It doesn't guarantee common sense, either.
That part I am in complete agreement with.
Koda

Post by Koda »

HAHAHAH!!!
Attachments
Just saying...
Just saying...
Helios_phi
The depraved

Post by Helios_phi »

IMG-20130617-WA0000.jpg
Yup
[REDACTED]