Guitar Hero replacement

All topics related to gaming go here. PC games, board games, console games and more! We accept them all. Please indicate the platform in the title for convenience.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Guitar Hero replacement

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

There's a free downloadable game called Frets on Fire. It plays pretty much like Guitar Hero only it's free. You can also make your own songs. It's not as good but it's not too bad either. I've been playing a bit but I haven't made my own songs sojust been usingthe basic three.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
szczurex
Lord of the keyboard
Species: Gray Wolf

Re: Guitar Hero replacement

Post by szczurex »

I remember FoF... Good times.
There's also Guitar Zero if someone's interested...

Too bad the newer versions work... Worser than GH3 on my PC :/
And GH3 can be modded for extra songs too ^_^
I'm a .
I DO bite. :3
Kodey
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Caribou
Region: Gauteng

Post by Kodey »

Hehe I have FoF, It's not as good as Guitar Heroes. But if you don't have a good PC or an X box wit the Guitar heroes game FoF is good enough. I quite enjoy playing it. Though i was wondering if you could download new songs for it instead of taking the time to make 1. Coz that takes a lot of time.
Rudolf's got nothing on me.
Part of the 3
Muske-Queers.

OH MY GOD! - <(º:º)> [bang]---¬_(^.^ ) - Ha ha ha ha!

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well I know you can import songs from Guitar Hero. But if you got guitar hero i dunno why you would. There are apparently places where you can download songs. I haven't seen any good ones though. If you've made some songs maybe you're willing to share?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Post by Dracius »

Yea, FoF is quite known throughout the circles. I've got nearly all of the GH2 songs for FoF, but I still feel that GH3 plays far better. FoF was a huge mission to get working, though I finally got it modded to look more or less like GH3, minus the stage entertainment.
szczurex wrote:And GH3 can be modded for extra songs too ^_^
wha... since when...
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I must get those songs from you sometime. I've been downloading a few off the internet but not all are so great. Although there's one called mutilated mime which is one of the funniest songs I've ever heard recently. And some really cool notes to go with it.

And how come FOF keeps lagging? It's slow at the song selection and sometimes jumps the first few times you play the song. I just restart the song till it plays smoothly
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Wolfers
Snugglebeast
Species: Wolf/Bear

Post by Wolfers »

I bought Guitar Hero III for my PC before even reading this forum, and now i do feel a tad bit stupid for not looking for alteratives, hehe. Still, using the original X-Box Xplorer controller is so niiiice. Also, its pretty strong. My niece managed to trip over the lead and fall on TOP of it. My heart skipped a beat, i'm telling you. *chuckles* No damage, tho.

It runs well on my humble little machine, but occasionally lags for a second or two, making me miss notes :|
~Wolfers~

Professional Animal Impersonator
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

There's only one thing better than the official game, andthat's the official game on a console :P

anywho, i was digging around and i fell across RF-Mod, A source code enhancement to FoF that apparently is quite good and makes it feel like GH3, not sure how it performs, haven't had time to try.

And there's also the Hering Mod, that enables an auto failure feature, so your failures don't count in the score board, and it's compatible with RF-Mod.

I'll get RF-Mod sometime soon and give it a try, it's a pity the Wii guitars are not very well supported with my Vista and my Bluetooth stack >.>

Wolfers, it's wroth your while to buy the game jsut for the controller, the keyboard controls are really sucky ;)
~~~(___^> *squeak*
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I tried the RF-Mod. I can't say it felt like Guitar Hero to me but it did add a bunch of new options and features that are cool but there are one or two bad things about it.

Pros:
Allows two players
Saves your streak and %notes in the score menu
Allows you to choose what the notes onscreen look like and how the guitar board is angled.
lets you browse song list without loading previews (speeds up the menu a lot)
Stores how many times you play each song

Cons:
You can't exit a song you're doing badly at without it saving a record of your performance.
It stops certain FOF play features (such as where for notes that start as another begins you don't have to press the pick button and you now have to hold down the notes colour for the entire duration of long notes.)
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

It turns out you can exit without your score being saved if you use 'exit to main menu' instead of 'end song'.

Also forgot a nice extra is that you can now see how much time is left in the song.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight

Post by Dracius »

Wolfers wrote:I bought Guitar Hero III for my PC before even reading this forum
Sweet! We should arrange a game then XD Are ya using any IM's? :P
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

SilverDragon
Ilache Darastri

Post by SilverDragon »

Arrange a game..? We should make sure that we have an XBox or PS3 at the meet with two GH guitars ;) :P
---------------------
PSN ID:
Acronix_23
---------------------
(\_/)
(O.o)
This is Bunny.
(> <) He is on his way to World Domination
anoyomouse
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Brown House mouse

Post by anoyomouse »

I got 2 Guitars for my Wii :P i just had to :)

Does GH3 on the PC let you multi play via the interwebs?

i know if any of my friends on my Wii had it we could rock away all evening, and i'd prolly never sleep, so it's prolly a good thing :P
~~~(___^> *squeak*