What's a song that's had a big impact on your life?

Come are share your musical taste with the rest of us!
Traden
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Leopard
Region: Other

What's a song that's had a big impact on your life?

Post by Traden »

For me, one of the most important songs I've listened to is Big Cat by Afro Celt Sound System.

The piece is a mix of electronic dance music and traditional African and Celtic music. I first heard this song about the time I started writing music back in middle school, and it captured my imagination. Honestly, it was one of the things that inspired me to write music myself, and it's been a song I've aspired to emulate ever since.

This song also helped me get through college... I've always had a habit of daydreaming while listening to music, coming up with ideas for stories to go along with what I was listening to. Some of those stories helped me process what was going on during a few really challenging years after I lost a scholarship.

How about you?
Nasheera

Re: What's a song that's had a big impact on your life?

Post by Nasheera »

I'm not really sure if this counts, seeing as it was the band as a whole that had a huge impact on my life, and not just one song of theirs.

The Gorillaz

I first witnessed their music video 'Dare' on MTV in a Steers restaurant. I was enthralled, but being too young to know how to use a phone or internet at the time, their beats faded away as I couldn't research more about the band.

A few years later, probably early 2011, their video 'Stylo' appeared on TV. The combination of CGI and live action sparked my interest in animation and character design, and the dark undertone of the video and music itself really influenced my art style.

I started listening to more of their music, and ended up with all their albums, a bunch of shirts and a giant poster that I still need to get framed.

The message they portrayed in their album 'Plastic Beach' taught me to be more aware of how most little acts which I thought were harmless actually brought a negative impact upon the environment. I started recycling and engaging in arts and crafts that used waste material in order to do my part in pollution prevention.

Thier first few albums taught me that it's okay to not be perfect, and that it's the few bumps around the edges that truly make us unique, and give us our own stories.
Also, even if you may not be the best at something, but you enjoy it and it positively influences those around you, then persue what makes you happy and it may blossom into something magnificent.

The Gorillaz taught me to be accepting of other religions and race (not that I wasn't before), and that I should be comfortable in my own skin regardless of my beliefs or how I look.

Most importantly though, their jams helped give me a new outlook on life, and helped me realise that I'll get nowhere by being a stick in the mud, but rather someone that knows how to work hard but have fun whilst doing so.

To this day, their music is where I find peace and answers when I find myself in a difficult situation.
Attachments
humanztour2017thumb.png