Subliminal murder mesages 0.0

Come are share your musical taste with the rest of us!
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Subliminal murder mesages 0.0

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I bet you guys heard about the guy who took a sword to school and killed people. My aunt said he listened to Slipknot a lot and that was partly why he did it. Personally I don't agree at all. I've listened to Slipknot a bit in the past and don't go around killing people. In addition I'm pretty sure that if you check the music taste of most murderers it will be fairly mixed and reflect the country's music taste.

On a related note Judas Priest was accused of planting suicide messages in the song Stained Class. Judas Priest won the court case when a boy or two commited suicide listening to the song.

The Columbine massacre was blamed on Marilyn Manson and the video game Doom. Now I bet you all know how many people have played Doom by now.

The guy who did the Virginia Tech shootings also apparently played a lot of Counter Strike. Although that's more a video game thing now but what's your guys view? Mainly on the music aspect.

PS: If you want to discuss the effect of games and videos too I'll move this to Discussion.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Dualsa
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Blue Point Siamese or Husky
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Re: Subliminal murder mesages 0.0

Post by Dualsa »

As soon as I heard about the incident this morning, the first words out of my mouth were "Great, now Slipknot is gonna get blamed for this". I really find blaming music for the actions of people to be one of the most ignorant things anyone can do. I've listened to my fair share of Slipknot in the past, and heavier, darker things too. Never once have I gone to my school with a katana and killed another person. Never once have I even considered doing so. Unfortunately, due to the nature of the music, and the lack of understanding around it, odds of it getting the blame for some stupid kid's actions are pretty high.

I believe that music does have a huge effect on people, but not so great an effect that it can drive a person to do something like that. Think about it, it's almost impossible to move around in this world without encountering some kind of music. Now, if a band has a huge following, and one fan does something stupid, does that make it the band's fault? Or is the fan just imbalanced? It's a very debatable topic, but from my point of view, you can't blame the music.
Back after a long absence! Sometimes Siamese, sometimes Husky. Can't blame me for indecision, just gief me feesh :V
Tigris Astartes
Sexual preference: bi-mostly straight
Species: Snow leopard/Siberian Tiger
Region: Gauteng

Post by Tigris Astartes »

This topic is quite popular on forums :)

Its always the same :/ something always has to be to blame, be it gaming, movies or music. Obviously this child was bullied or had a bad childhood or wasn't raised correctly, I often listen to Slipknot and they are fine...

I mean obviously listening to a metal band is going to make me take a katana to school and stab someone! That's the first thing I think of when listing to Slipknot...

Right... Reality check more?
Snow Leopard + Siberian Tiger

Find my Furaffinity here.

Telegram:
Image @TigrisAstartes
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

It's all very simple.

Lets go with an idea that maybe there is subliminal messaging in a song.

If you heard someone tell you to go kill a thousand people, it would be your choice that you follow that voice and kill a thousand people, thus your fault.

The problem is: people don't want to admit their wrong. And there's a million example of this, so i don't need to further explain.

But simply put: If there are subliminal messages, in the end it is your self that determines whether you would do something like that or not.

I just wish all the other blindingly sheepish (apologies to any sheep) people who follow a singular voice and believe it to be truth without question would open their minds to reality.

Sorry, off on a tangent, but it's a thing i find very annoying
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Brisby
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Zebra
Region: Other

Post by Brisby »

Bump.
Private the Penguin: [landing in Antarctica] Well. This sucks.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Is this perhaps the longest timespan before a bump on the forum? Just under six years? :P Brisby, I believe you win the title of Forum Necromancer.

I find the idea of subliminal messages implanted within songs subconsciously causing people to commit crimes to be a silly one. If one examines something thoroughly and creatively enough, one can come up with a variety of imaginative interpretations. What might have fueled this (at least in part) was the tendency of rock bands in the 60's and 70's to put hidden messages in their songs that are exposed when one listens to the song backwards - more conservative families may have tried to use this as ammo to push their agenda against the "devil's music".

Music can influence one, but only when one is explicitly aware of its meaning. Some attributed Marilyn Manson to inspiring the Columbine high school shootings, yet I believe the disposition, mental state and upbringing of the two shooters were greater contributors. Darker, more aggressive music can inspire negative feelings, and I agree with moderating it so that it does not fall upon the ears of those whom it may negatively impact (mentally ill, young children etc.), but if you are a sane adult and listen to it, you are responsible for your own actions. No amount of music can change that.

Not to mention, I myself occasionally enjoy Marilyn Manson and Slipknot. ;)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I listen to Slipknot regularly, and have so for a long time.

Ironically enough, I have the above incident to thank for introducing the band to me.

I've still yet to kill anyone, though.
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

People need to find something to blame. Especially in these stuations. Even if there were signs beforehand, I.e. violence toward animals and such, the parents can't believe their children would ever do something like that. (Which is understandable.)

So they look for reasons as to what could have caused it and, given the violence depicted in these songs/video games, they link the two. Even though logically, given the statistics, its unlikely, as if they did cause murderous tendancies we'd be seeing much-much more of it.

I personally find it a little ridiculous to blame these mediums for anything of the sort. I mean, surely they knew their children were partaking in these activities, but only now after they did something to this extent its the music/games fault. Sure.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

What band can we blame for this necro?

8 years damn.

I wonder why no one blamed murder on Celine Deon or something. XD