Dj

Come are share your musical taste with the rest of us!
snow
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: white snow wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Dj

Post by snow »

Howdy there I'm thinking about being a DJ mostly trance and dubstep. Does anyone have advice for me or knows anyone that is a Dj?
I trying to find my career and I'm trying everything I can and see if it is what I want yo do In life .

^_^
what is a wolf? Strength, wisdom, loyalty, courage.

Things have changed.

http://dagobah.net/flash/Aoi_Furrysh_2.swf this is how it goes....

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/snow007/
Grayhound
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolf-Keidran
Region: Gauteng

Re: Dj

Post by Grayhound »

Erm....only advice on the matter that I have is do what Skrillex does:

*braces for angry Fluke coming to kill me* :lol:
True love is real, sometimes it just happens in unexpected places.
I do what I must; not because i'm certain of my own sense of justice, but because i'm not certain of anyone elses.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

HAHAHAHAHAHA I love Dubstep and that makes so much sense!!! thats how he does it!!!!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Grayhound
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Wolf-Keidran

Post by Grayhound »

Hmm, looks like he's just about ready to "Drop the Ace".....

I'm sorry, that was terrible....please forgive me....
True love is real, sometimes it just happens in unexpected places.
I do what I must; not because i'm certain of my own sense of justice, but because i'm not certain of anyone elses.
Little wolfie
Species: Wolf/Husky

Post by Little wolfie »

Hey snow! Im also becomeing a DJ soon and iv search alot...
Look at the board, Traktor Knotrol 4s.. you have all your mixing and remixing on it. you also probly must look at Lights, lazers, smoke machine, speakers, and bubble machine if u want.
But research more about DJing and stuff ;)
<3
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

I have DJ'ed before and you really, really must learn about the music beforehand.
There are different styles to it really. You can do what deadmau5 does, or what david guetta does. It's up to you. I would suggest trying to produce / remix songs before.

I really do try and achieve what deadmau5 does, he describes it not as DJ'ing but rather as producing live. Guetta just throws in CDs and adds a few effects, that is easy.

You also have to chose a DAW, then get used to that, find some nice plugins, get used to those, find some awesome VSTs, get used to those. Then buy any equipment you may need (Pioneer DJM-800, Lemur, monome, launchpad, synths etc). It isn't a cheap thing either. Good equipment is expensive, I mean you must be willing to drop at least R5-10k for the right set up. And you HAVE TO know how to use it properly to make it look believable. None of this beat-match and leaving, or pre-mix and add effects. I mean set up layers of songs (vocals, intro, chorus, maybe a live-catchy-hook, fade into next songs intro etc). That way you can alter so much, much more (HP on only the vocals, or only the kick etc.)

It will also take tons of time, I have been practicing for about 1-2 years now and I still can't get it right. I only use my old MacBook Pro + Liine Lemur touch control for live and my desktop for producing.

Another point is balance, both in terms of the audio equalization and the actual mix of songs. You want to have songs that everyone likes and everyone can dance to. Also songs that are overly popular are not a good pick, exposing people to music they have never heard of before can be very good. You must also make sure that all the equipment you use for listening to the sound you are producing is balanced. That is the main reason I got my headphones / sound card. I love bass, sure. But there is a reason why all the top-producers used extremely balanced monitors such as Genelec or others. You will require a decent set of headphones, and live you will require a decent set of noise-cancelling headphones. This is of course less important early on.

First things first; how experienced are you with music?
snow
Species: white snow wolf
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by snow »

thanks fluke that help me ^_^*hugs fluke* and little wolf ill check it out....
thanks again.
what is a wolf? Strength, wisdom, loyalty, courage.

Things have changed.

http://dagobah.net/flash/Aoi_Furrysh_2.swf this is how it goes....

http://www.furaffinity.net/user/snow007/
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

The problem with DJ'ing is that nothing is cheap. (Except for the Launchpad, which is 'only' ~R1000) The rest is above R7000 and the really good stuff is ~R15000.
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

Grayhound wrote:Erm....only advice on the matter that I have is do what Skrillex does:

*braces for angry Fluke coming to kill me* :lol:

I don't get why you guys think I like dubstep / Skrillex, I really don't like it as much as you make out.

Sure Skrillex has a few nice songs and whatnot but I really do love deadmau5's music a lot more. Heck I have been trying to emulate his live performance setup in Ableton and even managed to get him to help me set up Lemur with me :)