Bullard fired for ''racism'

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Bullard fired for ''racism'

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I only know what I read here, http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1 ... 636C967343 but I'm curious as to what people think. Personally I don't think he should be fired for it, nor do I think it's racist.

Since this is likely to be argued quite strongly I'd like you to try and think a bit before you say something but here's my view. Without reading the original article I can only comment on what was talked about when he was fired but I don't think he should have been fired. I agree with him and I don't consider myself a racist at all. The reason I say I agree is that from what I know of southern african history there was very little to no scientific advancement going on here. The English and Spanish and stuff came to the tip of africa in their boats with all sorts of fancy stuff (albeit some of it stolen from other nations, notably the chinese). The tribes in southern africa though were still using spears and in mud huts. I don't know of any specific places or people that were doing any major research, or anything that came out from there.

That said it's not endorsing the view that black people are stupid. Just because the tribes there weren't advancing doesn't mean that they couldn't, it just means that there was no drive to advance. (same as evolution) I'd also say the japanese wouldn't have advanced unless the west came there as they were also still living in a mostly stagnent state of feudalism. They also had very little contact with the outside world and so no drive to advance. But now when they did get contacted they have become one of the most powerful economic nations in the world.

Do you people think africa would still be in the pre-colonial state if europeans hadn't arrived or do you think they suddenly would have began advancing? Also was the article racist and should the author have been fired?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Dracius
Ilache Darastri
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Dragon
Region: Western Cape

Re: Bullard fired for ''racism'

Post by Dracius »

Raki, I completely agree with your statement. I'm not sure about the 2008 date that he displays, but SA was -DAMN FAR- behind in technology compared to the people that landed on SA. Black tribes found it difficult to move around a few hundred KM's, but the English, etc covered thousands of KM's on sea and still managed to setup a foothold on SA. Like you said Raki, black tribes had no reason to advance. They just enjoyed having their cattle and as many mates as possible. If you think about it, its actually a very relaxing life :P (but ultra boring.. except the selection of mates and the occational battle.)

Its stupid that he got fired. But you want to know why he got fired? If the Sunday Times didn't fire that journalist, they would of been scrutinised for huge amounts of racism.

Sunday Times would of been under some serious fire...
Part founder of the Ilache Darastri Clan.

Keita Haruka
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Black wolf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Keita Haruka »

I fear Mr Bullard was the victim of political correctness. It's human nature to want to take credit for everything, but never the blame, to maintain good self image above all, and anyone busting that bubble is likely to end up in the fire.

I don't think he's wrong at all. That's always been the value of having open societies. The free flow of ideas across borders stimulates growth and free though. You're right pup. Just because they didn't advance doesn't mean they couldn't have if there's been a reason to. However, like Japan, the culture was stagnant and overly driven by tradition. They had a way of life that worked for them and saw no need to change.

Again, not saying that the western way of thinking is inherently superior, just that it was focused on different aspects. The Japanese had this idea of honour that had to be maintained, the Native Americans (another culture that could have advanced and didn't because it was geared in a different direction) had a cuture based on spirituality and a love for the land. Afrcans had their own peculiar spirituality. Nothing wrong with that. It was simply that none of those cultures valued progress. The Native Americans valued personal growth, but never power in the way the west did. As such, such cultures had no way to adapt to western ideas that were alien to them, unlike the Japanese who managed to integrate western ideas into their culture. The concept of honour and family fidility is alive and well in Japan, so they still have the core of their identity intact...simply because they are such an accepting people, unlike Africans who are not, and the Native Americans who'd rather die.

Should he be fired? No, I don't think so. The truth is sometimes unpopular. None of the advancements we have here WERE due to the native people. It's an historical fact. And it's an irrelevant point in any event. Again, it just shows the total stupidity that some locals display. "If you don't like our version of things, fcuk off to where you originally came from and never mind that you were born here. Your ancestors were not born here and so you don't belong here." Quite frankly, i'm happy to oblige.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This doesn't say much for the openess of our society though, especially as I remember another journalist got fired and was in the media recently. The reason? He was writing on freedom of religion and said it was okay for people to worship and believe in Satan. People got upset and he was fired.

On a related note to the development, there are also peoples, like the Aztecs and Egyptians, who had huge spurts of intellectual growth, were highly advanced in certain ways and then just stopped moving forward.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~