Could This Actually Work?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Could This Actually Work?

Post by Contrast »

This is a silly, impractical idea that has absolutely no chance of working in real life. I understand this perfectly well, but it’s been bouncing around inside my head for years, and I thought I’d share it just to get it out.

Simply put, my idea is to ‘solve’ the world energy crisis with a man-made ocean current contained within a gigantic tube, 10 300km long, powered by a gravity differential.

What do I mean by that? First, take a look at this:
World Map.jpg
That’s a map of the world, with two points highlighted. The first is Mt. Nevado Huascarán, Peru. The other is simply any point on the surface of the Arctic Ocean. What’s so special about these two points? Well, when people think about gravity, they tend to see it as a uniform force that’s the same everywhere on Earth, but that’s not true. Mt. Nevado Huascarán has the weakest gravity in the world at 9,7639m/s2, while the Arctic Ocean has the strongest, at 9,8337m/s2.

My idea is to harness this difference to produce electricity.

Here’s a very rough sketch of the… whatever the heck it is. Gravity Loop? I dunno…
Stupid Idea.jpg
I realise this thing looks an awful lot like one of those kooky perpetual motion machines, but this isn’t one of them! A PMM can only work with an external force continuously feeding more energy into the system, usually a battery. This idea, however, uses gravity instead.

Allow me to explain. The Gravity Loop (for lack of effort to come up with a better name) is a giant rectangular tube (ABDC), filled with water. The vertical parts, AC and BD, are built directly over Mt. Nevado Huascarán and the Arctic Ocean, respectively. Ordinarily a tube filled with water will do absolutely nothing, because gravity is pulling on every part of it the same way, but here the water in AC is being pulled down by gravity at a rate of 9,7639m/s2, while at the same time the water in BD is being pulled down at a rate of 9,8337m/s2. This creates a difference of about 7cm/s2.

Is this enough to create a current? I have no freakin’ clue, but let’s assume it does. We now have a gigantic rectangle of water slowly going around and around. I doubt it’s enough to get a really big turbine going, like the ones they have at hydroelectric power plants, but maybe it would be enough to get the turbine equivalent of a hamster wheel to spin? If you imagine the Gravity Loop like a big cable made up of multiple, thin tubes, all held together in a single shell, that creates a massive amount of distance to fill with mini turbines. A single loop is already 20 600km long (top and bottom), so if you made a ‘cable’ of Gravity Loops, you could multiply that number many times over (assuming someone can pay for it) and end up with a frick-ton of ‘hamster wheels’, all constantly turning in a slow current, constantly generating electricity, which can then be fed into a world-wide grid.

I know this idea is silly on multiple levels. How much would it cost? How would it be maintained? Would the water actually move? Would the turbines even spin? Even if everything worked perfectly, would it generate enough power to justify the cost?

Even so, I thought it was a neat idea, and I’d very much like to hear some second opinions. Could a crazy idea like this actually work? If not, can anyone think of any what-if scenarios where it would be feasible? Like, for example, if this was built on a planet with greater gravity differences between locations?

Or maybe this is the stupidest idea you’ve ever heard and I should be ashamed for bringing it into the light of day?

Looking forward to hearing back from you guys.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Could This Actually Work?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Yeah... that wouldn't work. Still, interesting to see some craziness still floating around. :p

Pretty sure it is a perpetual motion machine. Gravity isn't introducing new energy into the system, e.g. something on a shelf doesn't get progressively heavier as the gravity on it builds up. If I'm right your system will come to equilibrium with maybe slightly different densities of water on either. Think of it like having having that tube stand at an angle, the water flowing down can't keep pushing the rest of the water upwards. It will soon balance out. Any benefit of flowing from low to high gravity will be cancelled by the water also having to flow from high to low gravity.

Even if the gravity issue wasn't a problem I think it still wouldn't work because the difference is so small. It wouldn't be enough to overcome 20 000 km of friction, the mass of the water and still be able to move the turbines.

You'd probably have better luck with an open tube because then water could flow from high gravity to low gravity. Again it would only do so until it reached equilibrium though and then stop. Any energy you did generate would be outweighed by having to empty the tube to reset the gradient.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Contrast
Necrotic Neurotic
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Necrobat

Post by Contrast »

Well, at least now it won't bother me anymore. Better to have it shot down than for it to keep popping up in my head.
Read my novel on: SoFurry | Fur Affinity | Deviant Art
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

Yeah unfortunately ignoring friction, the system energy will be net zero, the water theoretically flowing down will have to displace the water already there, pushing it up.

On the note of crazy massive machines.
I've always wondered of we cant harnass the not insignificant effect the pull of the moon has in the oceans? If we make a massive shallow dam of sorts, when the moon passes over, it pulls water through a turbine or similar transducer and when the gravity of the moon passes, gravity takes over.

Though the amount of energy in such a system will be very small. Or you'll have to do it in such a large scale that it'll be practically unfeasible.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Adagio wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:31 pmOn the note of crazy massive machines.
I've always wondered of we cant harnass the not insignificant effect the pull of the moon has in the oceans? If we make a massive shallow dam of sorts, when the moon passes over, it pulls water through a turbine or similar transducer and when the gravity of the moon passes, gravity takes over.
Isn't that just tidal power? That's a thing; just it only works in really specific places where there's enough of a difference between low and high tide.
https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/why-don ... power-more
https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/hyd ... -power.php
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~