#Imstaying

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

#Imstaying

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

This is something I briefly mentioned on Telegram a while back, there's a Facebook group called #Imstaying which is for South Africans that are proud of their country and staying. It's apparently becoming a big thing now and there are articles about it and it seems like they're putting up signs next to the road.

https://businesstech.co.za/news/lifesty ... th-africa/
74462852_10157852582640742_1807858215715602432_n.jpg
I was invited by a family friend but I'm not going to join. I left the country and I'm my main reason for coming back was that I got a job here. I don't believe in nationalism and I think the idea of being proud of your country is not too far off. In any case, to me, the group seems like its mostly people trying to convince themselves that it's good to stay and hoping for reassurance. The sort of positivity that encourages people to ignore the bad and not mention it for fear of ruining the mood.

Is anyone here joined #Imstaying or have any thoughts on it? I know quite a few here have spent time outside the country or would like to spend time outside the country (which I highly recommend!).
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Shiro
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Re: #Imstaying

Post by Shiro »

I stayed in Singapore for a few years and honestly I missed SA, It was just to confined in Singapore for me to ever really settle in there.

My overall optimism for the country is not looking good. The corruption / failure of basic state institutes / failure of infrastructure (insert "power company name" that already said next year they will likely have another R20billion + in debt) / sorry to say but racism on both sides is still standing in the way of the country going anywhere.

Nothing like being told you are a colonialist that should go back where you came from to make you feel welcome in the country of your birth, even though my forefathers fled religions prosecution and ended up here somehow that equates to being here to get slaves and land for some far-off royalty. royalty they fought against in 2 wars and payed heavy prizes to try and free this forsaken county from their rule. But you know what I don't really let the ignorant get to me anymore as I have for the most part just accepted that my skin colour will always be held against me and that quotas for government backed "discrimination" programs need to be filled.

All that being said I still love South Africa.
Telegram user: @Shiro_snep
Fursuit Telegram Channel: Shiro_snep_Fursuit
SFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_SFW
SFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_SFW
NSFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_NSFW
NSFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_NSFW

Code: Select all

Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce ....
:start
taskkill /F Snep.exe
start Snep.exe
goto start
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Shiro wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:15 pmNothing like being told you are a colonialist that should go back where you came from to make you feel welcome in the country of your birth, even though my forefathers fled religions prosecution and ended up here somehow that equates to being here to get slaves and land for some far-off royalty. royalty they fought against in 2 wars and payed heavy prizes to try and free this forsaken county from their rule. But you know what I don't really let the ignorant get to me anymore as I have for the most part just accepted that my skin colour will always be held against me and that quotas for government backed "discrimination" programs need to be filled.
I can sympathise agree with that. There was one shockingly poor statement by Trevor Noah a few weeks back when he characterised white South Africans as Europeans. That is just so absurd. As far as I know, all the way back to my grandparents at least, and I think four or five generations in other cases that I know, my family has been born and lived in South Africa. I didn't pass the borders until I was in my mid-20s. So to call me and others like me European is completely ridiculous. And more so when European countries certainly wouldn't call me European. You're left in this weird middle ground where the country you are born in and grew up in says you are from somewhere else but nowhere else claims you because you have never been there or had any connection.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I miss South Africa so much. But what I miss is the beauty of the land, and my friends and family. I do not miss the danger etc. having been hijacked etc. My sister was held at gunpoint in our house and threatened with rape... and it isn't all one sided. Yeah sure the guys who attacked me and my sister were of African origin/, but the man who made me afraid of men when I was 18 was of Dutch origin. And yeah, England has it's issues... like... there's racism towards non-English people. But everywhere has that. But I feel safe here. I walk home from the centre of London at 3am and don't have any fears other than freezing to death because I stupidly didn't pack a spare jacket.

The feeling of missing people and the land is strong. But the desire for a healthier happier life is stronger.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

TBH, I've been thinking about this a lot actually. While I have no means of leaving to a place where both me and Badge would be able to go to, nor the money to be able to either.

I feel like my niche is here, my purpose is students and teaching and being able to help where I can. I want to help here. It needs help and that's beyond patriotism.

I want to make sure that the majority of students I come in contact with have the best path forward. I can think of no better place to do that in. My major complaints are the place I work for and it's heavy focus on money over student ability. I will try and help any student irrespective of scholastic capability.

I have nothing else to live for beyond education I'm happy knowing that I can help. That's the long and short.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I've always felt patriotic about South Africa. And that won;t change. I always love watching youtube videos and instantly knowing that this one is from South-Africa, because I can immediately recognize the plants, the grass, the trees and wildlife.
My happiest memories are in the Kruger National Park.
I don't ever want to leave. I don't think I can fit in anywhere else. A friend of mine from Ireland told me recently how I'd be arrested for having a knife on my person, and I just found that absurd. I never leave home without one.

I'm kind of scared about the future of the country as it is now. People like BLF, Julius, Even Ramaphosa, I really hoped he can make things better. Though, all he did was further the land grabs, raised taxes etc.

This country has so much beauty, and it's a truly rich country. Gold, Diamonds, Coal. We have so so much, yet because of corruption and mismanagement we are stuck.
I want to stay in this country so badly. But I'm scared. Not for me but for the people I love.
I've thought about emigration... Still do... I really don't want to. But if there's no other choice?

#Imstaying, but #Idontfeelsafe.
Shiro
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Shiro »

Adagio wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:10 am I've always felt patriotic about South Africa. And that won;t change.
I also feel patriotic towards South Africa even though I might sound quite negative towards South Africa at times I don't really see myself fitting in anywhere else. Strange how that is.

"Ons sal lewe, ons sal sterwe - Ons vir jou, Suid-Afrika." About the only part I do remember strangely, almost like it was programmed in to me :/
Telegram user: @Shiro_snep
Fursuit Telegram Channel: Shiro_snep_Fursuit
SFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_SFW
SFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_SFW
NSFW Telegram channel:: Shiro_snep_NSFW
NSFW Telegram Web: [Above channel for non Telegram users]: Shiro_Snep_NSFW

Code: Select all

Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce .... Bounce ....
:start
taskkill /F Snep.exe
start Snep.exe
goto start
LaShadow

Post by LaShadow »

Despite the political issues we have, I don't think I'll ever move abroad. There's just too much we have that other countries don't. Diversity being one of them. That wonderful feeling whenever a person of other race/culture greets you in their home language whenever you walk pass them in public, 'Dumela Rra'. I'm here to stay for good :s

Trots Suid-Afrikaans
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

i think south africa is one of the best countrys there are. rich biodiversity, nice climate (if you dont mind broiling ever so often) and no natural disasters... though people are causing earthquakes with mining. but yea overall the place is great, its just a shame about the people... they are essentially a natural disaster of their own. but not all the people are all that bad, its just these gosh darn political agitators fucking it up for esentially everyone.

would i ever imigrate? no, the heck should i have to leave MY home because some dipshit wants to take it from me? they can go suck an agg. if this country was managed better it would probably be a super power on par with amurica buuut thats probably going to take some major uprising and frankly it would be crushed by the might of china pretty quickly.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

So I've been looking into France and Spain. Spain has a similar fucked uppery to SA in the form of retarded rules and politics. One of our clients has a friend who's just moved to Peru, and it's just as corrupt and unjust. So I guess no matter where I want to go... it's all just corrupt :P
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 pm something I briefly mentioned on Telegram
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:27 pm Telegram
OwO you little shit you said you werent on telegram!
.>w<. you so mean firedog! you crush my poor kitty heart with your lies!
Raven Song wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:27 pm it's all just corrupt :P
yea thats the problem, theres no escaping to something better because pretty much everywhere its shit. and frankly, better the evils you know.
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

That's now my fear with my dream of Spain. At leadt in England I know the rules.
I just want my own farm to have my own stables business. In SA that's now cray cray dangerous and my dad doesn't wanna buy in SA. Maybe Mauritius is a plan l.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Raven Song wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:34 am In SA that's now cray cray dangerous and my dad doesn't wanna buy in SA.
OwO i live alone on a farm that... i own... so yea i'm totes screwed. <w< at least i'm well armed... legaly so mind you.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Animew wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:46 am OwO you little shit you said you werent on telegram!
.>w<. you so mean firedog! you crush my poor kitty heart with your lies!
No lies. Only got dragged on recently despite my objections.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:57 pm No lies. Only got dragged on recently despite my objections.
UwU i would totes forcibly find you and talk to you against your will, but you would block me and give me large feels of the sad if i did...

OwO so YOU should find me and talk to me on telegram! UwU that would be sound reasoning yes yes.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Who knows, maybe one day I'll drink too much and lose any sense of judgement.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:10 pm Who knows, maybe one day I'll drink too much and lose any sense of judgement.
Ow< i could help with that, i know all the good bars in pretoria.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Animew wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:23 pm
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:10 pm Who knows, maybe one day I'll drink too much and lose any sense of judgement.
Ow< i could help with that, i know all the good bars in pretoria.
And I know all the quieter ones that I tend to enjoy being in for when you're on a budget.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

And I only know one gay bar that I loved and hope is still around!
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

Raven Song wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:46 pm And I only know one gay bar that I loved and hope is still around!
we should all go to the gay bar!
UwU have a good ol furmeet... AT THE GAY BAR!
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

We used to have like a mini meet between Ivic Doge and myself 😂 does that count.
Animew
Banter kitty

Post by Animew »

UwU only if it was at the gay bar.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

In terms of politics, economy, history and law, there is very little I personally find worth being proud of in South Africa. From the crime rates per capita, to the GINI coefficient (measurement of monetary inequality), to the billions lost annually to corruption, to the laughing stock our parliament and leaders sometimes are on the world scene (from high-ranking police officials being unable to salute and march properly, to our minister of education being unable to read numbers aloud properly). I'm not even going to elaborate on Eskom, South African Airways, and other failed state-owned entities.

Naturally, every nation has its share of bad apples. And South Africa has shone with some achievements (such as being pioneers in medicine with the first heart and penis transplants, to excellent performance in sports such as the recent rugby world cup victory; and even in terms of military engineering, but that's a personal preference). But all things considered, I find there are more bad apples than good.

TL;DR - The diversity of cultures and natural landscapes is amazing. But the government is incompetent and the society is inhospitable on a national level.

Once I've got my Master's degree, I'm likely going to find work or continue my studies elsewhere. I don't easily see my future family and me settling here. (Besides, those Polish and German ladies look fine as hell.)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Galahad wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:00 pmOnce I've got my Master's degree, I'm likely going to find work or continue my studies elsewhere. I don't easily see my future family and me settling here. (Besides, those Polish and German ladies look fine as hell.)
I got told you were or are studying at the University of Pretoria. That true?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I did my Bachelor's there and finished last year. I've applied to two universities for my postgrad. UP is one of them, but it's plan B.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Come to the UK! actually I aim to travel soon and see more of the world. I want to see Europe. I have them plans.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

My name would fit there, but the U.K seems to be a political experiment in all things Orwellian. :P Or so I've heard, anyways. Though China takes the cake. But if I ever do find myself wandering up north that way, I'll be sure to let you know.