Environmental collapse

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Environmental collapse

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

So who thinks the environment is just going to completely collapse soon?

Story after story keeps brining up the point that humans have royally screwed things up. Yet despite that there seems to be so little will do anything. There are still people denying climate change, even while we see massive droughts, severe storms, record temperatures and so on. Even when people do decide to make some sort of change, they might as well not bother for all the good it will do. Some countries talk about banning petrol cars in 10 or 20 years. That needs to be done now if you want that to have a chance of having an effect.

Just look at these stories about what's going on in the world.
Up to 99% loss of bird populations in the Shetland Islands: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... are_btn_tw
A 75% loss of insects in Germany over the past 30 years: https://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/19/euro ... index.html
A 83% loss of wild mammals due to humans over our history: https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... mals-study

But nobody does anything about it. We already now, pretty much the biggest thing that can be done by an individual to decrease their environmental impact is to reduce, or stop, eating meat and dairy. (https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... t-on-earth) But that's barely done. And I've not heard of any government considering restricting meat or anything like that. Basically no one actually cares about the environment. They worry about selling cars or growing the economy. What goods growing an economy that's going to slowly kill most of the people in the country? We should be saying, eat less meat, don't have children. Do the opposite of the Russian anti-gay propaganda bill; spread gay propaganda. More gay people means fewer children, means less environmental impact and maybe we survive with a similar planet to the one we have now. Because, again, the research is saying that there is no country on Earth where we can both meet all people's basic needs and be sustainable. (https://theconversation.com/is-it-possi ... mits-91421) We need to make a massive change before its too late.

Of course, some people say its too late anyway. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... re-mention Might as well just kick back on the deck of the Titanic, drink a last cocktail as the entire thing inevitably sinks.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Re: Environmental collapse

Post by Franky »

I always say/ask:

It's a no brainer since the data indicates human involvement in the increase of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere. Yet why are we pushing for millions in funding for scientists to reassure the public and themselves. Shift some of that into the field of engineering and we might see some actual practical solutions.

You absolutely can't consider taxing manufacturers and in the same breath talk about poverty in the world. No one goes to a store and decide not to buy toothpaste because they added a tax on it due to fluoride production pollution. It's a absurd agenda which will benefit some morons thinking they are making a difference.

Leonardo DiCaprio is one of many moronic examples flying with a private jet to numerous 3rd world countries preaching to the poorest of the poor whom in their entire lives probably don't produce the amount of carbon dioxide he does in a week. It creates drama and feelings and all whatnot in order to fund a dumb documentary of something the majority of the world already agree is going on.

Building a proper transport system = engineering, affordable electric cars = engineering, efficient power plants = engineering, reduction of refinery emissions = engineering. Where's all the funding going? Scientists, actors and politicians saying the same shyte over and over and over. We get it! The majority of the educated got it in the 90's already.

Would you take a freezing cold shower in the middle of winter simply because you have to pay R200 more because of some dumb tax law that is just gonna filter it's way down to the public anyways?
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing
Region: Gauteng

Post by Splicer-Fox »

The earth is always thirsty.
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

aw snap firedog you just done touched on my most sensitive of issues!

UwU/ and yea apparently we have approximately 35 or so years to live since after that the earth will be for the most part uninhabitable... people know this... they have known it for longer than most of you fools have been alive.

what should we do? what CAN we do? UwU/ as individuals, absolutely BUBKIS.
Franky wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:01 pm Shift some of that into the field of engineering and we might see some actual practical solutions.
would you be surprised to know that the hydrogen car has existed for over 40 years? not an experimental one mind you, an actual working model. also various car manufacturers have produced electric cars. quite good ones too. do you know what happened to them? UwU/ they were all taken back and destroyed despite being in perfectly good working order.

i think its naive to think that everything can be explained by human stupidity, i mean if that was the case why is there always such a huge blow back whenever people try fixing the problem? i mean if it was a natural occurrence or a result of no one giving a shit then no one would give a shit if someone tried making the wold a better place right?

but no this problem is being caused deliberately and perpetuated quite fiercely. don't ask me by who tho because that's an entirely different kettle of fish.
Splicer-Fox wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:29 am The earth is always thirsty.
FOR SEMEN!
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Animew wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:27 pm i think its naive to think that everything can be explained by human stupidity, i mean if that was the case why is there always such a huge blow back whenever people try fixing the problem?
Because it's not stupidity; it's short-sighted greed. Fixing the problem = less profits = resistance. All people care about is how much money they can get out of things. And once a cash cow is milked dry, they move on to the next.