Talent - A Real Gift, or Fiction?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Re: Talent - A Real Gift, or Fiction?

Post by Cape_F0X »

Or you can phrase it like that.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

So I was looking through my science Twitter and found a link to a new review published this week on this topic. The article itself, Toward a multifactorial model of expertise: beyond born versus made, was published in the Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 13586/full) but can be easily downloaded off ResearchGate instead (https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... rn_vs_made). The authors begin with an abstract that says:
This environmentalist view holds that individual differences in expertise reflect training history, with no important contribution to ultimate performance by innate ability (“talent”). Here, we argue that, despite its popularity, this view is inadequate to account for the evidence concerning the origins of expertise that has accumulated since the view was first proposed.
The idea that talent doesn't exist just does not fit with the data. It's not that practice doesn't matter but it only accounts for a certain amount of the difference in people's abilities. They look at various studies that found that practice only accounted for 30-40% of the difference in musical ability and how musical ability is well-linked among twins. They mention one study that found Olympic medallists actually had fewer hours of deliberate practice compared to non-medalists. They also mention how genetics work is showing a known links between gene variants and athletic abilities.

The take away is that practice improves performance but talent is real and certain people will do better at certain activities than others. Overall performance depends on the environment, the individual and practice; they all work together.
SummaryTable.png
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

This isn't the Drama art thread! How is the forum going to look when anyone posts anything anywhere?
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

Cape_F0X wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:19 pm This isn't the Drama art thread! How is the forum going to look when anyone posts anything anywhere?
This is not drama.
This is merely a debate. On one hand we have someone who believes, with countless papers that talent is real.
On the other we have me, who hasn't got a smidgeon of talent, proving that its a skill I just learnt and honed.

So instead of writing scientific papers, all I am doing is providing evidence of my assertion in the debate.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

The whole topic is a farce because you're arguing over a concept. Like astrology, it can be disproved, but there's so much shit you'll never be able to erase its existence.
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

Cape_F0X wrote: Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:57 pm The whole topic is a farce because you're arguing over a concept. Like astrology, it can be disproved, but there's so much shit you'll never be able to erase its existence.
Let's hear what Galahad has to say first
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

I've already said what I wanted to say on the subject so I'm not going to add anything there. But wow. I've got to say this.

Looper-honey. Are you seeing what I'm seeing? Oh sure. You know what will really get people to believe that hard work can trump talent is with this prepubescent teenager's back of the school book's doodle. Yup. You know that guy that could literally take one look at a city skyline and draw it near photo realistic? Well boom. Clearly he hasn't seen my Sonic the Hedgehog doodles. That's for sure. How dare he even try to compete. Hard Work: 1. Talent: 0.

If you're going to be arrogant, at least have the ability to back it up. Bring your A game. All I'm really seeing with your supposed 'argument' is your literal surrender.

I wouldn't have said anything if you just posted art to any other thread, because sure. You draw well enough. Presentable. But it is far from great. And if I were to put yours among the millions of others you can find on DeviantArt who have the exact same level of skill as you, I doubt yours will stand out in the least. And if I'm completely honest, I doubt you'll ever reach that point where it would stand out. I doubt you'll ever be great.

No hate meant. All I'm saying is. If you're going to use your artwork, THIS artwork as an example of hard work beating talent's behind then wow. I am in my right to criticize the buff out of it.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
ArtyLoop

Post by ArtyLoop »

Dear CynTheJackingRabbit (apologies but your name is rather difficult to memorize or pronounce)

It is very commendable that you enjoy my contribution to the Sonic fandom and I accordingly applaud you. However that was a work-in-progress and it pains me to say that you have been remiss in actually knowing what the debate was about. The debate was about whether hard work could measure up against talent. I believed that I, with fuck-all talent, was able to draw something, which looks pretty OK, considering the final result looks even better.

As to your doubts about whether I will ever stand out or be great, I do not share in your cynicism as I have known enough artists and their journey to the top always inspires me. Also there is the pride in knowing that some of my graphic design work is still being used by some companies and take their rightful place in my portfolio.

Regarding prepubescence, I get the feeling that you are currently in that stage, where you feel you need to fuck anything that moves, and your dick or clitoris (whichever way you are equipped) is constantly hard at the sight of anything artistic. Your avatar is thus rated accordingly as prepubescent teenage doodle, and could considered to be worthy of a fap or two.

I do recommend though that you engage in some fine art scanning, for instructions on making a fine art scanning device, this link would be most useful.

Regards,
Arty
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

If you're going to offer criticism of each other's opinions please do try to do so where you don't engage in a manner that you denigrate the other's point of view
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ryall »

Cape Fox, I am noticing a consistent pattern in your posts across various threads. You should change your location on your profile to 'peanut gallery.'
Hahaha! :lol:
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Didn't know the forum had one, but with all the drama I'm not surprised it does.