PETA

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion
Region: Gauteng

PETA

Post by Sudan Red »

I scrolled right into this article and, boy howdy, PETA has no chill. :lol:

Although I do love animals, I am a pretty hard-core carnivore. I do recognise that some "harvesters" employ cruel methods, but on the whole the meat industry has clear rules for killing & slaughtering animals. Killing something can never be pleasant, but until alternatives to meat become cheaper and tastier, I am afraid I'll be tucking in to steaks (not to mention my feline horde who must have animal protein to avoid going blind).

On a very clinical level, livestock exists for the sole purpose to be used. If we couldn't/didn't use the eggs, milk, meat, hides, wool, gelatine etc produced by livestock, there would be no reason to maintain their populations. I wonder if livestock species would go extinct if we all went vegan?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Re: PETA

Post by Raven Song »

I don't think they would go extinct though I do think their numbers would be slashed in a less than nice way...

there are currently about 1.3-1.5 billion cows in the world. if all human beings stopped eating meat, not only would we need the space those cows are taking up for our massive veggie plantations, but we wouldn't have a use for the cows because we wouldn't need their milk, meat or anything. the only thing to do would be to either turn them loose (where will they roam though... cows can be just as destructive as elephants) or to humanely euthanize them (one of PETA's favourite things to do actually...). then where would all that bi-product go?

I don't agree with PETA in almost 90% of their cases... Yes, I agree we need to be more ethical in our treatment of animals but it is their outlandish solutions that gets me.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

RavenSong wrote:... to humanely euthanize them (one of PETA's favourite things to do actually...).
Whoa wait what? Although I have come across a similar attitude from people who run animal shelters - they would rather euthanize an animal than take it to a shelter. I can understand that shelters can be horrible for a family pet that has been abandoned, but is death really preferable for an otherwise healthy animal who might stand a small chance at being adopted again? (Realistically, very few shelter dogs/cats find "forever homes" though...)
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

When I was working for WWF I had the opportunity to attend a day talk by PETA. An argument ensued between my team leader and the PETA team because the PETA team leader said, and I can never forget this:
If we get to a chicken farm, and there's thousands of chickens, we would rather put them out of their misery than allow them to fall into the wrong situation again. It's not like there's anywhere they could go that would be better.

I dislike PETA because of their extremist views... I am all for saving animals, but they take it too far.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Essentially what they're saying is that all those animals are treated so badly that they would literally be better off dead, which is pretty misanthropic when you think about it. Not that I disagree though, the meat and dairy industries are revolting in the way they treat animals, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to treat animals decently in those industries and that they should therefore cease to exist. In a perfect world, free range ethical farming would be a legal requirement and not a "clear conscience tax" for premium goods to consumers.

Also the "where would the existing livestock go" question is irrelevant, any major changes to the food industry would not be so quick as to be complete within those animals' lifetimes.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Leeward wrote:Essentially what they're saying is that all those animals are treated so badly that they would literally be better off dead, which is pretty misanthropic when you think about it. Not that I disagree though, the meat and dairy industries are revolting in the way they treat animals, but that doesn't mean it's impossible to treat animals decently in those industries and that they should therefore cease to exist. In a perfect world, free range ethical farming would be a legal requirement and not a "clear conscience tax" for premium goods to consumers.

Also the "where would the existing livestock go" question is irrelevant, any major changes to the food industry would not be so quick as to be complete within those animals' lifetimes.
well yes, but... what if it did happen like BAM! hypothetical and all that jazz.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

My guess is that meat prices would plummet and there would be a brief period of meat feasting while most of the livestock is slaughtered off, until eventually we level out into a new equilibrium where everybody eats far less meat, which is now much more expensive because it is no longer done on an industrial scale and farmers treat their livestock humanely which is not profitable unless prices are raised significantly.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

They do some good and I'm sympathetic to their end goals but I think the majority of their methods are just too extreme to endorse. And in the end I sometimes worry that that is more harmful to animals as it makes it easy to dismiss PETA as crazies and so people will not support the causes. If they prevent proper discussion and cause people to become further entrenched in their views then they are not helping. Also many people have pointed out that they are alarmingly quick to kill animals.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Why isn't Peta targeting the halal slaughter ritual of thousands of livestock?

Oh yeah cause that would be mean to attack peoples culture and only western cultures are bad...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Franky wrote:Why isn't Peta targeting the halal slaughter ritual of thousands of livestock?

Oh yeah cause that would be mean to attack peoples culture and only western cultures are bad...
Don't be stupid Franky.

No one is exempt from PETA

https://www.peta.org.uk/blog/the-truth- ... alal-meat/

https://www.peta.org/blog/cruelty-behin ... slaughter/
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Ok so a article in 2009 and one in 2014.

No protest like they do with everything else just that.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

they do, those were just two examples I found. Franky, PETA is not exclusive... PETA does not discriminate... they also contradict themselves for it.

PETA tells us English horse riders we are mean and shouldn't ride our horses over those big fences and should be nice like cowboys, then turn around and tell cowboys they are mean and shouldn't ride their horses so hard.

PETA doesn't like anything that means humans are even looking at animals, that's their whole deal. Do not, and I mean this very seriously, use them as a platform for religious or political debate. Because that is not the goal.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

I has my free speech...

I know what the goal is. But maybe they should start focussing more attention on a serious issue most people have a problem with. I can name a bunch of animal cruelty scenarios where Peta is a bit afraid to touch so they rather go out saying players of Assassins creed are killing digital whales.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Leeward wrote:"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."
I've always wondered if there were SJWs that would try to brow beat a Straight White Masculine – motorcycle ganger.
I would like to see them pick fights at those kinds’ people. :D