More facepalms

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: More facepalms

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

And here's a furry politician forced to resign because some people didn't like his furry profile.
http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/ ... 181577.php
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:And here's a furry politician forced to resign because some people didn't like his furry profile.
http://www.newstimes.com/local/article/ ... 181577.php
Well yeah it didn't help that his profile had the type of erotica literature in that you'll only find in this weird place.

Look, Free speech and all that is good but it does have consequences what you say and do. As much as people try and support it the moment I say something which is not in the public's eye deemed as acceptable I'll get burned.

An example would be if I go and say: "Furries into yiff are a bunch of closet zoophiles." my reputation in the furry fandom will not be that great. Hence it'll have consequences similar to the stuff 2 the ranting gryphon and everyone in spotlight areas have to deal with.
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

Um... I don't know what you're getting at here really, Rakuen. As far as I've gathered he wasn't 'forced to resign' because he was a furry, but rather because on his furry page 'rape' was one of the things under what he 'tolerated'. And the fact that it lead to various very sexualized things.

Right there and then, I'll have to agree. Even in the post it said that one of the people didn't care about what he did in his spare time, but he didn't want someone who did that sort of thing representing him as an elected official. WHICH is understandable.

And lol no. He straight up lies when he says he doesn't do it for sexual reasons, YET still writes fanfiction with sexual themes. And don't get me started in the fact that being a furry is basically a fetish anyway. But I suppose lying like that just confirms there's politician blood in his veins, eh?

Think about it this way. Remove the fact that he's a furry. Let's just say he was an ordinary man who wrote erotic novels(?) that had borderline rape themes. Or that tolerated rape themes. And this was found out. What do you expect the response of the public would be? Exactly. The. Same.

Rakuen, I know you're smart enough to understand that what you do outside your workplace when you're in a position of influence, does have an impact on how you're perceived and on whether or not you're seen as fit for the job. There's literally a profession designed for the purpose of digging up the dirt. I can't comprehend that you'd make this out to be a 'furry' thing when it isn't. He just happened to be a furry. Not that that was going to be good for his image either tbh.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Whether he is furry or not doesn't matter, just that he's furry makes it a bit more relevant. He tolerates rape in fantasy. That isn't an unusual position. Everyone that watches Game of Thrones tolerates rape in fantasy.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

CyntheWightRabbit wrote:And don't get me started in the fact that being a furry is basically a fetish anyway.
I agree with most of your post but whoa what? That's a whopper in the quote! :lol: Could you perhaps explain?
CyntheWightRabbit

@Rakuen: What perverse logic is that? Who watches GOT because they get turned on by the rape scenes? (At least the mainstream watchers, anyway.) Those scenes are literally meant to make you cringe and feel uncomfortable. AND he had the choice of choosing between whether or not to 'hate' rape or 'tolerate' it. I'm assuming by tolerating it those sorts of art will still come in his feed? (I'm not a part of Sofurry so Idunno.) And there's the issue.

Fantasy or not, if a grown man was found to have a stash of underaged sexualized material (comics/fanfiction/whatever) people will still view him awkwardly and not want him to be around their kids. The same applies here. Not everyone is as accepting of everything like Furries. If anything it is the norm not to be, and he should have had the knowledge to know better.

@Sudan. I'll just first start by asking: Why do you think the fandom is so overtly sexual in both the art medium and in general? And why are there people in the fandom who find anthros more attractive than actual human beings? EVEN on this forum. Why is there need for a sexual preference? And why is it seen to be 'normal'?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

CyntheWightRabbit wrote:What perverse logic is that? Who watches GOT because they get turned on by the rape scenes? (At least the mainstream watchers, anyway.) Those scenes are literally meant to make you cringe and feel uncomfortable. AND he had the choice of choosing between whether or not to 'hate' rape or 'tolerate' it. I'm assuming by tolerating it those sorts of art will still come in his feed? (I'm not a part of Sofurry so Idunno.) And there's the issue.
Actually the hate/tolerate/like/love does not influence how the site works. Your comparison is wrong because if they watch GOT to be turned on by the rape scenes then that would be the equivalent of like or love in SoFurry settings. By setting it to tolerate he said that it's not something he likes but that its presence will not prevent him from viewing such a submission. Just like the presence of rape isn't enough to stop people watching GOT.
CyntheWightRabbit wrote:The same applies here. Not everyone is as accepting of everything like Furries. If anything it is the norm not to be, and he should have had the knowledge to know better.
By that logic, people should know better than to admit to being atheist or homosexual because if they are then excluded from their community and kicked out of their homes it's their own fault because they should've known better.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

A decent case can be made that argues that homosexuality and atheism are civil and compatible with the rules of society. Neither is easily associated with violation or harmfulness. But as for the really strange fetishes found in the deeper layers of the furry fandom... :P It is just completely otherworldly. Of course, not all furries have those. But enough do so that the sexual stigma of the fandom, even if to a degree falsely, says otherwise.

I think Cyn was advising common sense, rather than complete resignation.
CyntheWightRabbit

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Actually the hate/tolerate/like/love does not influence how the site works. Your comparison is wrong because if they watch GOT to be turned on by the rape scenes then that would be the equivalent of like or love in SoFurry settings. By setting it to tolerate he said that it's not something he likes but that its presence will not prevent him from viewing such a submission. Just like the presence of rape isn't enough to stop people watching GOT.
Then I stand corrected on the Sofurry front. But that's about it.

People can like whatever they want to like. That is fine. But that doesn't mean others have to be happy with it. And that's exactly what's going on here. If a politician even had a brainfart of thinking of saying that they tolerated rape, any politician, it would give them negative rep. That's what happened here.

By your logic you're saying I tolerate it because I do nothing to stop it even though I see it on the news and read about it in the newspapers etc. No. I find it repulsive. And that's exactly why these people started having negative views of him. Because instead of finding rape repulsive, he tolerated it, like someone tolerates an annoying brother cause they're family. Sure he doesn't like it, but being a politician, someone people vote for and should have confidence in, tolerating it is the same as saying rape is okay. Sure it's ugly but it's fine. Let it happen. (Not to mention the fact that on a furry site that means that rape is overtly sexualized and seen as attractive and that's what these people digging into it saw.)

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:By that logic, people should know better than to admit to being atheist or homosexual because if they are then excluded from their community and kicked out of their homes it's their own fault because they should've known better.

Ha! I knew you'd say that. ;3 But it's as G said. RAPE is a crime. It actually has a serious negative impact on somebody. Being atheist or homosexual doesn't. This is like a teacher going around and someone finding out he searched up rape fetish stuff. Are you telling me people shouldn't feel unsafe and suspect knowing he looks after their children?

By your logic being a Pedophile is fine because they can't control their urges amirite?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

CyntheWightRabbit wrote:By your logic you're saying I tolerate it because I do nothing to stop it even though I see it on the news and read about it in the newspapers etc.
Only if you can't differentiate between fantasy and reality.
CyntheWightRabbit wrote: Ha! I knew you'd say that. ;3 But it's as G said. RAPE is a crime. It actually has a serious negative impact on somebody. Being atheist or homosexual doesn't. This is like a teacher going around and someone finding out he searched up rape fetish stuff. Are you telling me people shouldn't feel unsafe and suspect knowing he looks after their children?
Murder is also a crime but most of us don't mind teachers playing Call of Duty.
CyntheWightRabbit wrote:By your logic being a Pedophile is fine because they can't control their urges amirite?
I'm not even sure how you think that follows. Unless someone is harming another person, they can think or say what they like. The issue is if it is put into practice. That's not to say that you can't oppose certain views because if they were put into practice they would have harmful effects on others but you can't punish people for something they haven't done unless you can show that they were planning to do something that there was a real risk of it happening.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Murder is also a crime but most of us don't mind teachers playing Call of Duty. 
Those same teachers probably aren't running for a political position that will reflect on your community's values.

Freedom works both ways - you are free to fantasize about what you wish, and others are free to reject you as a representative based on what you freely chose to do.
CyntheWightRabbit

G is better at this than I am. And I think he said what I would have in a much better more well constructed way. Go G. :v

So I'll just ask you this: If you met someone who fantasized about rape, would you not think, if they were given the opportunity, they would indulge in it? People want fantasy to be reality, even if it is unlikely to ever happen, that's why it is fantasy. I wonder how many furries would give both of their arms just so that anthro's could actually be real.

And it's that thought that made people judge him as they did. Which is fair as he is a community representative. Also, this has nothing to do with him being a furry and all got to do with furries and their unnecessarily perverse fandom.

[Also was there a need for him to even say he tolerated rape? Is that an option everyone must add? Or can it be left out entirely? Real question.]
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Galahad wrote:Freedom works both ways - you are free to fantasize about what you wish, and others are free to reject you as a representative based on what you freely chose to do.
No one is denying they can do that. I'm saying they shouldn't do that.
CyntheWightRabbit wrote:So I'll just ask you this: If you met someone who fantasized about rape, would you not think, if they were given the opportunity, they would indulge in it?
Um... nope. Hang around plenty of people who have rape fantasies. In fact rape fantasies are extremely common, almost 50% of men in some surveys and over 50% of women.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
CyntheWightRabbit

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: No one is denying they can do that. I'm saying they shouldn't do that.
Then I think it's best to agree to disagree. You have all the right to that opinion, and, as I already suspected, there's no way you're going to listen to anyone else.

*maximumovershrug*
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Um... nope. Hang around plenty of people who have rape fantasies. In fact rape fantasies are extremely common, almost 50% of men in some surveys and over 50% of women.
Yes. Because everyone in their lifetime are given the opportunity to do something like that. Yep. Totally. Especially in your friend circle.

Let me make it clearer for you by using an example. There's a tv show called Bait Car that I really feel a little iffy about. It's premise is as you expect; police go around leaving a car open with the keys inside and then arrest whoever takes the bait. It's to take potential criminals off the street.

But honestly, if they weren't given that opportunity would they have actually committed a crime? It's the same here. Would these people actually be able to resist the urge once they are given this opportunity?

Again. I'm sure a lot of people would. But that thought. Just the thought that they wouldn't is enough. And that's why it makes people feel iffy. Who wants to have someone who 'could' do that, who 'fantasizes' about that, in a position of power. In a position where they're the face of the community. The face of your community.

Again. You're not going to understand what I'm saying so meh.

But what you said did bring up something else, completely irrelevant, I'd like to say, cause I'm in the chatty mood. ;3
Oh I bet you do hang around people who are so proud of their rape fantasies.
I may be old fashioned but when did it become kosher to be so proud of your sexual interests? As if it's a badge of honor you can wear. Isn't this something intimate you're supposed to share with the one you trust? Not something that the entire populace is supposed to know about. My opinion. ;3 (INB4 #stopkinkshaming)
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

More Berkeley SJW's

I honestly think California is a bigger threat to America than immigrants. Trump should build a wall around California. XD
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

CyntheWightRabbit wrote:
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: No one is denying they can do that. I'm saying they shouldn't do that.
Then I think it's best to agree to disagree. You have all the right to that opinion, and, as I already suspected, there's no way you're going to listen to anyone else.

*maximumovershrug*
Again. You're not going to understand what I'm saying so meh.
Both of you are reading each other's posts, and responding with counter arguments.

I think it's rather immature to say things like, "...I knew you weren't going to listen.../talking to a wall etc." so condescendingly while the debate is still ongoing. It adds nothing except information about your character.

I agree with Rakuen that there is a double standard when it comes to rape and murder, when murder is arguably worse, but people are much more sensitive about rape.

I actually don't think that if a politician enjoyed a PC game which made sport out of murder - which is most games - it would be anywhere near as controversial, as if they enjoyed a game which made sport out of rape. Nobody is embarrassed to admit they love killing things (and people) in games, right? I love it. I must have killed hundreds of thousands of virtual people in my life time, many of which were controlled by other players.

I don't know why people are less sensitive about murder than rape. Perhaps for the average person, the perception is they are much more likely to be affected by rape than they are by murder? Add to that, that rape sometimes ends in murder. Maybe it has to do with a perception that there is a "rape culture," as opposed to a murder culture, in society?

Maybe it's because what a person is likely to enjoy out of a rape simulator, is very different to what a person is likely to enjoy out of a murder simulator.

I'm not sure and it doesn't matter: people are often irrational when it comes to measuring up stuff like this, so I don't presume to know the reason.

I also agree with Rakuen that, to have a fantasy, is very different to enacting that fantasy. I wasn't one of the people he was talking about, but I can say I have had plenty of chances to enact various fantasies, without much consequence (I will keep it vague, but I will say that they have nothing to do with sexual offenses), but I decided not to act on them, and I never would, because I know some things are best kept fantasy.

As for the fandom being a fetish, I agree yiff is very commonplace, but I think the fandom would exist, even without yiff. I didn't join the fandom for the yiff, and I would stay even if yiff magically disappeared forever: wouldn't you, Cyn? Given that, for some people, yiff is a separable component, wouldn't you say it's unfair to call the fandom a fetish?

As for the sexual preference profile caption, that was created by the owners of the site: not by popular demand. Even still, it doesn't infer the fandom is about sex: I am curious to know other people's preferences, out of interest, and because there is comeraderie in being part of a persecuted minority: not out of a desire to bang people.

On the other hand, I do agree that the politician was fired because of 'rape,' and not because of him being a furry. I also agree that he should have been more careful about his 'SoFurry' choices, as a politician.

Should people react the way they did? People want role models in leadership and they want to know about the personal lives of their leaders, but I feel the people should be more focused on the abilities of leaders to make good decisions. You might argue that 'tolerating rape,' on his account as a politician was a proxy indicator that he makes poor decisions, but I would say it's a pretty weak indicator, especially compared to the likes of creationist/Young Earth politicians who remain in power today.
Hahaha! :lol:
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

Ryall wrote:I must have killed hundreds of thousands of virtual people in my life time, many of which were controlled by other players.
Maybe it's because what a person is likely to enjoy out of a rape simulator, is very different to what a person is likely to enjoy out of a murder simulator.
(content warning, rape / murder discussion)

Speaking game mechanics, a lot, if not all, of videogame murders are "flash in a pan" style. You drove over tens of people in GTA at a time without ever having thought of those "people" as people. They didn't matter in the slightest, and there's no visible consequence. No griefing family, no in game mention of it later (excluding set pieces)

I think its fundamentally impossible to have such a disconnected "rape game", where you could theoretically rape 100s of people in ten minutes. It just doesn't work like that, its an extremely 'personal' crime.
You could however, make a more serious murder game like that. One where you have to murder only a single, or a few people. If you had to "get to know" the people, their story, their likes and dislikes, what they do, where they go, and if it was well written, you could 'care' about them, you could 'feel' like they were real, and not just an NPC. If the game then made you slowly murder them, first person view, while their family watches and you could hear their screams and crying...

I don't think that experience would be the same as mowing down pedestrians in GTA. People, I assume, wouldn't play that game over and over and over again until the body count is the same in both games. But the second game would be closer to how a 'rape game' would play out than the former.

See also the people who even got disturbed by murdering someone for the first time in GTAV in first person.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier ... a1a705622b

Sensationalist and overreacting? Possibly.

Or even people just wanting to skip the torture scene.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/271590/d ... 317005301/

This is all probably way off topic though.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Faanvolla wrote:You could however, make a more serious murder game like that. One where you have to murder only a single, or a few people. If you had to "get to know" the people, their story, their likes and dislikes, what they do, where they go, and if it was well written, you could 'care' about them, you could 'feel' like they were real, and not just an NPC. If the game then made you slowly murder them, first person view, while their family watches and you could hear their screams and crying...
From the one I've played, that basically is how the Hitman games work. You can play like a shooter but you are supposed to stay hidden as you kill; basically, make it look like an accident. That means listening and following people. If they have a chair under a chandelier, loosen the screws. If they are working with wires, turn the electricity on when they aren't looking. Are they going to eat, sneak into the kitchen and poison the food. There are usually multiple ways to kill a target and requires knowing what that character does and likes.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I'm just gonna put it out there that some types of BDSM scenes are pretty much equivalent to a rape fetish, with the key difference being that it's simulated with a consenting partner who will play the part. Just my 2c.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

In To Kill a Mockingbird, they use the word "nigger" on several occasions. This made some people uncomfortable and now the book has been removed from the school reading list. Because obviously talking about racism is not an issue that needs discussion in present day America.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... -readings/
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Depicts a teacher making what looks to be a Nazi salute, to students.
LOL
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

What happens when SJW's deliberately post things out of context:
dove.PNG
Sure that will be the most racist advertisement I've ever seen in my life and this post is going around on the web causing a massive uproar to the extent that Dove eventually apologised for missing the mark.

But just like SJW logic it always helps to se what they're so infuriated about...

Here's the actual advert scene:

Not so racist anymore. It takes a real special kind of snowflake to find victimhood somehow in everything they see online. One day the air will oppress them. :lol:

Anywho. I think Dove should be a little more careful with their ads. Even though this clearly supports diversity we unfortunately live in a world where everything you say and do will be used as a precursor fore some oversensitive idiot's identity politics narrative.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

That does seem a lot less racist when presented that way...
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:21 pm That does seem a lot less racist when presented that way...
Context matters.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Today in facepalming news. White people wearing hoop earrings is now apparently cultural appropriation.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... opriation/
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:02 pm Today in facepalming news. White people wearing hoop earrings is now apparently cultural appropriation.
https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... opriation/
These are the people responsible for shoving a wedge into society. Not people with leftist political views cause even as a centrist right I myself have a lot of liberal view points. But these load mouthed SJW idiots who literally go and search for crap like this are the cause of why people are starting to hate liberals.

This was a non issue 5 years ago. WTF happened?

Think about it. How many people gave 2 shytes about politics or even identity politics just 5 years ago?
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Splicer-Fox wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:25 pm
Yeah now that is fucken racist. Should I stress that China is Communist? :roll:

I present to the world Antifa:

Sociology undergraduate kids who for some reason think they know better.
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »