More facepalms

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Re: More facepalms

Post by Galahad »

Laughing, cringing and fuming at political stupidity used to be a staple of my internet diet. Until you get old enough to understand how serious the people spewing the bullshit really are.

My happiness and sanity have been kept at healthy levels ever since I decided "fuck it, I'm not reading political and social commentary and drama unless it involves me or a loved one directly".
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Galahad wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:17 pmLaughing, cringing and fuming at political stupidity used to be a staple of my internet diet. Until you get old enough to understand how serious the people spewing the bullshit really are.

My happiness and sanity have been kept at healthy levels ever since I decided "fuck it, I'm not reading political and social commentary and drama unless it involves me or a loved one directly".
I can certainly sympathise and there definitely are benefits to that approach but I'm not sure it is the most helpful. Admittedly, there's not much we can always do about what we read but completely disengaging means that events can sneak up on us with no warning. If a tornado is coming down the way, it might not involve us yet but if we see it tearing up neighbour after neighbour's house, we can probably make a safe prediction about what will soon happen.
Last edited by Rakuen Growlithe on Thu May 09, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed part of the post which is no longer relevant to this thread.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

I agree. I guess I should have been more careful in my wording. For me, major world and local events - like literal weather events, or elections, or new laws being passed, or the state of economy etc. - are worth tracking.

But people getting arrested in Canada for using free speech because it is offensive? Or online news sites saying Bob Ross was a racist (that happened)? Or California legalizing the wilful propagation of STDs? Or middle schools in the U.S removing murals of George Washington because it "traumatized" students? Or universities offering "angry white men" studies?

It all mixes together to form one laughably sad monstrosity that makes you want to chuckle and crusade at the same time. :P And you will only wear yourself down trying to monitor and combat all of it.

People are stupid. First you mock and laugh. Then you realize these people have legislative and democratic powers. At least, that's how I feel. Some peeps look at the craziness and laugh. I used to be able to, now I just find it hard to.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

You're right. It's impossible to monitor everything, let alone do something about it all. And even what is reported is biased so its difficult to know if we're seeing a clear picture. But I still think it is good to keep these things in mind. Even things that happen in other countries influence what happens where we are. I suppose the trick is just finding the things you really care about or can influence. Trying to do everything is just impossible.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

I've moved the discussion on free speech to its own thread.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=5293
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

This is funny. It's a church petitioning against an adaptation of a story by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett because satanism. Fairly standard. But here's where it gets better. They are petitioning Netflix but the show is being produced by Amazon!
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/ ... -pratchett
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

And it's a bloody good programme!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Apparently someone wearing the same article of clothing four times in their life is now cause for a news headline.

I would like to know why I was not informed. I have a pair of tracksuit pants which I've been wearing at least once a week every winter for more than a decade. I'm surprised no one's written a book about it.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
ShadowTale
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: Fennec Fox Cat

Post by ShadowTale »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:39 pm Apparently someone wearing the same article of clothing four times in their life is now cause for a news headline.

I would like to know why I was not informed. I have a pair of tracksuit pants which I've been wearing at least once a week every winter for more than a decade. I'm surprised no one's written a book about it.
... must be some kind of code... she wore it to 3 war related events and now to an event honoring Sir David Attenborough!? I am very suspicious now lolz
*Awesome life changing quote initializing...
Telegram: @ShadowTale
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

I wore the same jeans and t shirt for two weeks in a row... how come I never got paparazzid… This system is rigged.

also I think she looks lovely in it and I think she should wear it more often!!!
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso