Driving

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Driving

Post by Sev »

I wish that there was an advanced license that you could get that would raise the speed limit for you.
The fact that I could be thrown in prison for 6 months simply for doing my bike's preferred speed is a rather scary thought.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Region: Gauteng

Re: What are you doing RIGHT NOW?

Post by Adagio »

Sev wrote:I wish that there was an advanced license that you could get that would raise the speed limit for you.
The fact that I could be thrown in prison for 6 months simply for doing my bike's preferred speed is a rather scary thought.
This notion of "Speed kills" is ridiculous.
I mean. Just listen to all those accidents on the autobahn... Oh... Wait... :P

I'd add a "Minimum required speed" to the highway...
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

That's what the blue signs are for. They are so underused.

Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

I heard about one case in SA where a person got fined for driving under the minimum speed limit.

Truth is I do tend to have a heavy foot. but fuckit. I live in jhb who here doesn't? I don't drive irresponsibly.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Adagio wrote:I'd add a "Minimum required speed" to the highway...
From what I remember, I think a lot of the highways around Cape Town have a minimum speed of 80 kph.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

And they all seem to max out at 100 - regardless of how wide, flat, and straight they actually are. It extremely frustrating.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:And they all seem to max out at 100 - regardless of how wide, flat, and straight they actually are. It extremely frustrating.
or how much nothing there is in front of them.

WTF is up with that anyways? No one infront of you on a 120kmph zone yet people still crawl at 100 or even 80 at some spots.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

You seem to forget that higher speeds are more dangerous, the times to react are shorter and the damage in a crash is higher.
Most people overestimate their driving ability and think they are better than average. Only half of people are actually better than average.
Even if you are an amazing driver, you aren't driving alone. There are other people on the road who will drive worse and make weird decisions that you would not expect.
Of course there are times when the rules will not make sense. Why stop at a red light a crossroad when you can see down all the other lanes and they are empty for miles?
The point behind the rules is not that they are perfect in every situation but that, on average, they improve people's safety. In a country with one of the highest rates of traffic accidents in the world, we not only need those rules but we need them to be enforced and followed.
Lastly, just remember what you're weighing up here. It's weighing up going fast and saving 10 or 15 minutes (probably less on short distances) with crashes that will cause injuries or death. If that doesn't put stuff in perspective then you probably need to look at the priorities in your life.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:You seem to forget that higher speeds are more dangerous, the times to react are shorter and the damage in a crash is higher.
Most people overestimate their driving ability and think they are better than average. Only half of people are actually better than average.

We don't want to blast down the road at a bazillion km/h, we just want the scrap worthy cars that can't do 60 downhill with a tailwind of the road and people should stop dawdling.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Have you read some of what is posted? I've driven plenty of times, right at the speed limit and 90% of the cars fly past me like I'm standing still.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:You seem to forget that higher speeds are more dangerous, the times to react are shorter and the damage in a crash is higher.
Even if you are an amazing driver, you aren't driving alone. There are other people on the road who will drive worse and make weird decisions that you would not expect.
Of course there are times when the rules will not make sense. Why stop at a red light a crossroad when you can see down all the other lanes and they are empty for miles?
The point behind the rules is not that they are perfect in every situation but that, on average, they improve people's safety. In a country with one of the highest rates of traffic accidents in the world, we not only need those rules but we need them to be enforced and followed.
Lastly, just remember what you're weighing up here. It's weighing up going fast and saving 10 or 15 minutes (probably less on short distances) with crashes that will cause injuries or death. If that doesn't put stuff in perspective then you probably need to look at the priorities in your life.
No I don't forget. I know exactly how dangerous speed is. The problem is I'm not talking about driving 200km/h on a road which is designed for 120 regarding banking, following distance, and vision. I'm talking about the okes not realising that driving 80km/h on such a road disrupts traffic and disrupting traffic is what causes accidents.

I stop at red lights and remain stopped, I did admit having a heavy foot but never said that it is right to drive over the speed limit. I've been young and a showoff in my days but that is long and gone.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Driving slower than you would like to is not disrupting traffic. The traffic is still moving within the limits. If someone is driving at 80 kph and you get frustrated, overtake and have a crash that is entirely your fault. The appropriate response is to slow down and wait until there is a safe place to overtake. You can't blame other drivers for your lack of self control.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Driving slower than you would like to is not disrupting traffic. The traffic is still moving within the limits. If someone is driving at 80 kph and you get frustrated, overtake and have a crash that is entirely your fault. The appropriate response is to slow down and wait until there is a safe place to overtake. You can't blame other drivers for your lack of self control.
Yes 80 km/h in the fast lane. :roll: cape town 101

And no it's not driving slower than I like. it's driving slower than everybody around him/her. That is disruptive because you're not flowing with the traffic.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

I can't handle it when I'm behind someone that is attempting to get on the highway at 60 km/h. That one of the fastest ways to cause a shitstorm!
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Driving slower than you would like to is not disrupting traffic. The traffic is still moving within the limits. If someone is driving at 80 kph and you get frustrated, overtake and have a crash that is entirely your fault. The appropriate response is to slow down and wait until there is a safe place to overtake. You can't blame other drivers for your lack of self control.
I disagree. Whenever someone that isn't breaking any rules needs to break because of you. That IS disrupting traffic.

I don't drive very fast. Sure if it's an open highway, I'll go fast. But not ever pedal to the medal. This shouldn't be illegal... And my original point. Look at Germany. They have no speed limits on some of their roads. And their accident frequency is much less than ours.

Speed doesn't kill. Irresponsible people do.

Blaming inanimate objects for the mistakes of human beings is in itself irresponsible...
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Franky wrote:Yes 80 km/h in the fast lane. :roll: cape town 101
But now you're moving the goal posts. You said nothing before about specific lanes. If the person is driving at the minimum speed in the fast lane then the problem isn't how fast they are driving but that they are in the wrong lane.
Adagio wrote:I don't drive very fast. Sure if it's an open highway, I'll go fast. But not ever pedal to the medal. This shouldn't be illegal... And my original point. Look at Germany. They have no speed limits on some of their roads. And their accident frequency is much less than ours.

Speed doesn't kill. Irresponsible people do.

Blaming inanimate objects for the mistakes of human beings is in itself irresponsible...
Yes, Germany has no speed limits on their roads and fewer accidents. But we are not Germany and we have more accidents. So the question is whether you think they have fewer accidents because they drive faster or they can drive faster because they have fewer accidents. I see no reason to believe that increasing the speed is going to lead to better drivers but it will lead to more serious crashes. None of that is blaming the cars or anything, the simple fact is that South Africans drive poorly and irresponsibly and are not even driving safely now, never mind at faster speeds.

I also find some of this argument pretty absurd since you are arguing that the speed isn't an issue, that it's bad drivers etc. Sev started this right. I remember him posting here twice about how he's almost been killed in crashes already. He's been involved in more serious accidents in however long he's been driving than many families have with decades more driving. One of those serious crashes even happened on a race track with presumably other people that know what they're doing (or at least think they do). So if the people that can supposedly drive well at speeds are crashing even under ideal conditions, what do you think is going to happen if average drivers start trying the same things?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Re: Driving

Post by Sudan Red »

In some US states, you will get ticketed for cruising in the fast lane even if you are at the legal speed limit for that stretch. You are only allowed in the fast lane while actively overtaking other cars. The idea behind this is that lane changes/weaving inbetween slightly slower cars leads to most accidents. Most people also tend to cruise at exactly the speed limit once in the fast lane, while others want to cruise at higher than the speed limit. These faster-than-average cars & slower-than-average cars are actually the problem. The disparity in speed causes judgement errors, people taking chances & accidents happening. If everyone was travelling at the same speed (whatever that may be) things might be safer.

As for me, I am a slightly faster-than-average driver. I like setting the speed control at around 130kph, but sticking to the second lane & overtaking slower cars when necessary. Adaptive cruise control is a godsend!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Lastly, just remember what you're weighing up here. It's weighing up going fast and saving 10 or 15 minutes (probably less on short distances) with crashes that will cause injuries or death. If that doesn't put stuff in perspective then you probably need to look at the priorities in your life.
That's the thing, for me, it's got absolutely zero to do with saving time; it's got to do with being able to riding my bikes the way that they were designed.

There is something uniquely frustrating about riding a bike that can do 170 in first (and I have verified this first hand), and being told that you're never allowed to ride faster than 120 - it means that I can never even go into 6th gear.

So what do people end up doing? They end up memorizing the locations of all of the speed cameras and checking Waze for police activity before I head out.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Well I must say I have often wondered why they sell vehicles that go so fast when the highest speed limit is 120 kph. I guess it's because of the engine power but I am sure that they could adjust the gears in a way that would give you the same acceleration but not allow the top speed. Or they can use electronic limiters. But when it's all autonomous vehicles then the problem solves itself.
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Cape_F0X
Light-footed

Post by Cape_F0X »

For the German autobahn and driving from the one side of a country to the outer.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Well I must say I have often wondered why they sell vehicles that go so fast when the highest speed limit is 120 kph. I guess it's because of the engine power but I am sure that they could adjust the gears in a way that would give you the same acceleration but not allow the top speed. Or they can use electronic limiters. But when it's all autonomous vehicles then the problem solves itself.
That's not how gearing works: it's a compromise between acceleration and top speed. Gearing a bike for a lower top speed means that it will accelerate much faster. On a bike, doing this is trivial: go one tooth down on the front sprocket and two up on the rear. My Gixxer was like that. End result? It would power wheelie in 3rd gear...

Considering just how much power a modern superbike produces (~200 HP), if you took one and geared it so that the top speed was around 200, it would be almost unrideable - good luck not looping such a bike.

And the bikes are electronically limited (300 Km/h), as a result, they'll often reach a higher top speed in 5th than in 6th.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Sev wrote:And the bikes are electronically limited (300 Km/h), as a result, they'll often reach a higher top speed in 5th than in 6th.
Why would the gear affect that?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Franky wrote:Yes 80 km/h in the fast lane. :roll: cape town 101
But now you're moving the goal posts. You said nothing before about specific lanes. If the person is driving at the minimum speed in the fast lane then the problem isn't how fast they are driving but that they are in the wrong lane.
No you're not envisioning situations on the road at all.

a 2 lane highway for example. Person X drives 80 km/h person Y passes person X at 90 km/h person z and everyone behinds these 2 chops drives 115 km/h within the speed and has to brake. The flow is disrupted because person x and person y feels like they're the only people on the road.

This is one out of many examples. Not to mention when it's not safe to pass someone on long stretches between cities where many highways only have 1 lane per side.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Sev wrote:And the bikes are electronically limited (300 Km/h), as a result, they'll often reach a higher top speed in 5th than in 6th.
Why would the gear affect that?
Many ECM units only triggers the governor in 6th gear. This however is a changing with newer designs as a DIY hack was tricking your bike into thinking it's in 5th. Which is a horrible hack btw because making the computer think the bike is in a lower gear will cause it to manage the other functions such as the rev limiter and such differently as well.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Well I must say I have often wondered why they sell vehicles that go so fast when the highest speed limit is 120 kph. I guess it's because of the engine power but I am sure that they could adjust the gears in a way that would give you the same acceleration but not allow the top speed. Or they can use electronic limiters. But when it's all autonomous vehicles then the problem solves itself.
Speed and rev limiters are not put in bikes for the road legal aspect, it's in there for protecting the bike from damage including the entire drive chain, shaft, tyres etc... Rev limiters for engine rotation and temperature issues obviously.
Last edited by Franky on Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Hi there

Just want to say, this is why I believe it's stupid to own a car that can confortably go 180km/h. It's much more fun to have a car that peaks at around 130km/h. When you have a slower car, it feels like you're going fast at 120km/h, and with a fast car you could be going 140km/h without even realising it

Point is, get a slow car. It's more fun
Mew?
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

jacojerb wrote:
No it's not.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Franky wrote:
jacojerb wrote:
No it's not.
Yes it is.
Mew?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

jacojerb wrote:
Franky wrote:
jacojerb wrote:
No it's not.
Yes it is.
Not to everyone else stuck behind you it isn't.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

His hypothetical car still goes the max speed limit, so no one has to be stuck anywhere
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Franky wrote:Many ECM units only triggers the governor in 6th gear. This, however, is a changing with newer designs as a DIY hack was tricking your bike into thinking it's in 5th. Which is a horrible hack btw because making the computer think the bike is in a lower gear will cause it to manage the other functions such as the rev limiter and such differences as well.

Yeah, it also means that the gear indicator always displays 5th gear. That's why I just do an ECU reflash or fit the Race ECU (which I'm going to get for the RSV4 before too long).
Faanvolla wrote:His hypothetical car still goes the max speed limit, so no one has to be stuck anywhere
Yes, but a car that's designed to go no faster than 130 is going to be a miserable experience at 120.

Let's see:
Shitty brakes, suspension, and chassis.
Absolutely fuck all passing power.
And an engine that's straining.

Yeah, that really does sound like fun.

JJ, my mother's car is like that. Everyone other than her that has ever driven it hates it.

My RSV4 can cruise at 180 in 6th, and it's absolutely magical.
The bike's buttery smooth, perfectly stable, and barely feels as though it's trying because it's at the sweet spot in the rev range for cruising (~6,500 RPM, when the redline is 14,000 RPM).
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Faanvolla wrote:His hypothetical car still goes the max speed limit, so no one has to be stuck anywhere
Practically. If a car's top speed is 130. It means you have to red line the engine to get it there.
Not to mention acceleration. Slipways will be too dangerous.