Driving

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Driving

Post by Sev »

That's exactly what I said.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

I understood it as a car designed with the speed limit in mind.
Maybe I just misread/misunderstood.

I've driven to Potchefstroom and back both in some Tata bubbel-ass car that stuggled to get to 120, vs my normal car I had that could get there fairly easily,
So I would agree on the statements that it's nicer driving a car that can get to 120 faster than one that struggles to get there,
And it's nicer (and probably safer) being able to immediately go from 80 behind a truck to 120 to pass it, than having to have at least 5 km of open road to slowly accelerate enough to pass.

The hypothetical car I thought of would have a top speed of ~130, but wouldn't struggle to get there
"But you can't make those, they need to have top speed of High to have an acceleration of Fast."
Ja ja, ok, you win.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Your car could be limited to 80 and you could still be incompetent, inattentive, or spiteful.

Almost every day, I encounter someone who ends up posing a risk to me, whether it's them suddenly changing lanes, jumping through an intersection, or actually trying to ride me off of the road (lane splitting is legal, get over it, asshole).

If you guys recall, my Dorsoduro got rear ended by some old lady who didn't want to wait for the traffic light to change.

None of those guys will ever be fined, but God forbid that I don't speedo gaze and end up going 83 in a 60 zone.

It's a money making excercise, nothing else.

---

Also, Faan, a car that could accelerate briskly to 130 but couldn't exceed it would be extremely dangerous.
You would be passing a car, and it would suddenly feel as though your car had lost all power.

I experienced that when I hit my bike's top speed in 1st (see earlier post), it was distinctly unsettling.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak

Post by Faanvolla »

Well, if you bought a car like that I'd imagine you'd test drive it first or get used to it.
Semenatics though.

As was mentioned earlier, I'm just eagerly awaiting self driving cars. I already prefer automatic over manual, I cant wait for it to be even more automatic.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

What you could do (assuming self driving vehicles aren't just here sooner) is tie in computer control with GPS navigation. Then your car will now where it is and the appropriate speed limits. So if you are in a residential area it will know the limit is 60 and if you are on the highway it will know the limit is 120. It could even know when you are on private property or a race track and suspend limits. It could also then be designed in a way that promotes safety without weird mechanical issues. So if it detects you are exceeding the speed limit it can sound a warning alarm. That alarm can get more intense for lets say a minute or two and then the computer will force the car to decelerate to the correct speed. That way it will still handle correctly, allow overtaking and prevent speeding.

I used to drive a car with a weak engine and I know it's not really fun. In the city its fine but when I was driving between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth I would encounter issues. I could get up to 120 but the car lacked power so as soon as I started going uphill I couldn't maintain the speed. I also couldn't easily overtake big trucks because I couldn't accelerate fast enough most of the time. Once I used the slope on a long downhill to pick up speed and shoot past a truck because although I could drive faster than it, I didn't have the power to overtake it on the flat.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Animew
Banter kitty
Species: Animu cat

Post by Animew »

RAKUEN DRIVES LIKE A GUUUUURRRRL!
Duck face? i thought they were all just making fart noises when posing for pictures...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:What you could do (assuming self-driving vehicles aren't just here sooner) is tie in computer control with GPS navigation. Then your car will now where it is and the appropriate speed limits. So if you are in a residential area it will know the limit is 60 and if you are on the highway it will know the limit is 120. It could even know when you are on private property or a race track and suspend limits. It could also then be designed in a way that promotes safety without weird mechanical issues. So if it detects you are exceeding the speed limit it can sound a warning alarm. That alarm can get more intense for let's say a minute or two and then the computer will force the car to decelerate to the correct speed. That way it will still handle correctly, allow overtaking and prevent speeding.

I used to drive a car with a weak engine and I know it's not really fun. In the city its fine but when I was driving between Cape Town and Port Elizabeth I would encounter issues. I could get up to 120 but the car lacked power so as soon as I started going uphill I couldn't maintain the speed. I also couldn't easily overtake big trucks because I couldn't accelerate fast enough most of the time. Once I used the slope on a long downhill to pick up speed and shoot past a truck because although I could drive faster than it, I didn't have the power to overtake it on the flat.
My God, this is a dystopian future.

Besides, a car that can do this would be advanced enough to be self-driving. Ergo, you wouldn't have to worry about the passenger being able to break the speed limit.

@Faan Test drive? Really? Why would someone willing buy a car like that? The only time that cars of that nature would ever exist was if some bureaucrat decided to make them mandatory.

I don't even want to inhabit that future.

Imagine going wide open on a superbike, only to hit the 130 Km/h limiter. You would actually be thrown completely off of the bike because you would go from being pushed backwards in the seat to violently and suddenly being pushed forward. If you want to kill motorcyclists, that's the way to do it.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by jacojerb »

I'm more thinking of Dascs car, the RAV 4. It can do 120 comfortably, but that's on its top gear. Besides, if it is struggling (e.g we have a trailer attached), just stay out of the fast lane...

Sev: "My RSV4 can cruise at 180 in 6th". Except, legally, you can't. I can just imagine the frustration of driving at 120 when you have the potential to do 50% more comfortably.

My point isn't that driving slowly is more fun. My point is that having potential you can't use isn't fun.

Edit: (didn't see the second page). In a perfect system, where noone makes mistakes, there would be no need for a speed limit. But as long as you have humans on the road, it'd be good to remember that a thing that weighs a ton and moves 120km/h can do quite a bit of damage

You might be a great driver, but remember, for every above average driver, there's a bellow average driver. I feel lhe current speed limits are fine as is
Mew?
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

It's like people don't even realise there are people that love cars, driving, etc.

Just because you don't, doesn't really make sense for you to assume they share the same views.

Also I don't think I have ever been endangered by someone responsibly going very fast on the road (and I've been over 300 in supercars). Compared to thr almost daily risky driving I see from poor attentitive drivers going too slow around circles, weaving through lanes, randomly hard braking, not even indicating or looking before changing lanes, trying to use the merging lane to overtake everyone, overtaking in the hard shoulder, etc.

I will say having a reasonably quick car is very nice. Sometimes lets you stop douchebags like above. Or be a douchebag back when that BMW 320i gets in the turning lane at the red light next to you - with the intention of trying to actually launch past you and cut in front of you in the straight lane. I just launch my car and embarrass him. And he has to sit there like a numpty waiting for someone to let him in.

Tl;dr

Speed nor being part of races (passenger) has never once made me feel unsafe. Impatient drivers and ESPECIALLY drivers who are not paying attention do make me feel unsafe on a daily basis.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, having options is awesome.

On a Superbike, if you find yourself in a dangerous situation, you have three options to avoid the danger: get on the gas, get on the brakes, or dodge.

At freeway speeds, a 125 (the class of bike that tops out at 130) doesn't at all have access to options one and two, because even at 120, you're already reached the limits of its performance.

This is footage that I captured sometime last year, where the only option that I had was the third (yes, I'm aware that the footage is of poor quality. I wasn't going to replace the windshield of a temporary bike just for this):

And you encounter these kind of drivers everywhere in South Africa...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Did I somehow kill the topic?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

No, it's in park :D
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

i learned to drive the quad at the yard now, and my boss may let me learn to drive his road legal quad. if i get my licence again...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

RavenSong wrote:i learned to drive the quad at the yard now, and my boss may let me learn to drive his road legal quad. if i get my licence again...
Rakuen, why did you choose such a non-descriptive title?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

It counts doesnt it? it's driving related? if someone can talk about motorbikes, why cant i talk about road legal quads and maybe eventually getting my drivers licence again?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Because the conversation isn't about driving itself. It's about the rules of the road vs individual agency & responsibility.

You have Nanny State Rakuen on the one side and Self Determination Sev on the other.
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak

Post by Faanvolla »

Nice non-biased "sides" you have there.

I'd much rather have a fully autonomous public transport & self driving car system with no self driving allowed on public roads, and basically 0% accidents, than having a bunch of speed nuts who think they're so much better than they are being on the roads.

People already find ways to bypass getting even a normal license, through loopholes (take a test with an easier vehicle/class) or bribes. What's to say it won't happen with your 'Advanced' license too?
And then all the politician's chauffeurs have advanced-advanced licenses, and they can drive at whatever speed they feel like.
/slippery slope fallacy yada-yada
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Oh, please, there was never even a pretense that they were unbiased.

This isn't a formal debate, and I'm not a guy who shies away from poking gentle fun.

With regards to what you're saying, it would be far preferable to leave the roads to the people that actually want to use them.
Then you can sit in your self-driving capsule, sipping on your late, all you want.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

I'd like to see autonomous cars deal with pot holes, idiots running across the highway and constantly changing street names. :lol:
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I apologise Sev, for not fully understanding the rules of your exclusive motoring club. I shall take my road legal wuad bike and cruise happily along at 40mph (as legally allowed in the UK) away from this place... lol

also, according to the post on WAYDN, Rakuen simply said "split stuff about driving"... so techinically I was still well within that discription.

so again, more tongue sticking out at you!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Uh, okay...

Look, I never even intended this to become anything but another drowned post on that thread. I was just going with what had been discussed so far.

This has gone nothing to do with motorcycles specifically, and most assuredly is not some "exclusive club".
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I was being sarcastic, seeing as you made a dig at me, iade a dig at you. One has to admit (as you pointed out) the title is vague and so I simply added to the discussion literally the only thing I know about vehicles at the present... And that is "I don't have a licence currently, but I can drive a quad".

No harm done, all's fair in cars and bikes.

Also the British are so fucking anal about driving...
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

The British are anal about everything.

You can thank them for the fact that all 125's are artificially restricted to 15 HP - with the Race ECU, the Aprilia RS4 (my RSV4's "Mini Me") is capable of a "blistering" 23 HP.
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

First world problems...

For thousands of years, people were stuck with a measily 1HP...
Mew?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

I'd give my left leg for 1HP (lol... Anyway back to cars). One thing you learn to do here is developing down super narrow roads. So theres a main road here thats single lane two way traffic right, cars always parked all along both sides making the main road basically two half lanes and the speed limit is 30mph and boy do they get up to it. When my dad came over and drove the Jag down it he had panics at 15mph :lol: how the frak do they do it!
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

jacojerb wrote:First world problems...

Yeah, and back then, you were lucky to survive into your 30's. Your point being?
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Sev wrote:
jacojerb wrote:First world problems...

Yeah, and back then, you were lucky to survive into your 30's. Your point being?
Do I really need to have a point? Are jokes not good enough?

I would, however, like to admire the fact that we can put the power of 20+ horses in the volume of a quarter of a horse. We're pretty damn cool, as a species

Similarly, I like to joke about net speeds. As a gamer, obviously, I sometimes complain about net speeds... A 300 ping is just killer. But, if you think about the fact that it takes less than a third of a second for information to travel half way across the world, and back...

Yeah, my jokes are lame. I just like admiring the things we have that are often just taken for granted...
Mew?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Scientifically a horse going top speed (65km/h) produces 15-20 horse power
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

RavenSong wrote:Scientifically a horse going top speed (65km/h) produces 15-20 horse power
Thank you, I'm so glad that someone else knows that.
The original unit was about sustained, rather than peak, output.

History of The Horsepower Unit
Fluke
Tyrant's Eye

Post by Fluke »

I prefer PS to hp or bhp.