Driving

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Driving

Post by Adagio »

Personally. I'm kinda torn between autonomous roads and people driving.
Because I know autonomous vehicles are going to be the most boring thing ever. It's gonna drive at speeds thats gonna make my granny impatient. And it's gonna look like a gee wiz.

But on the other side I see a lot of potential. And it's an interesting thing I'd love to work on.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

I will just leave this here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28851996

Google believes speeding is safer. If you look at their YT videos, you also see them go reasonably fast. Not rally-like, but fast.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

It's all about speed delta rather than absolute speed.

If everyone would drive at 160 on the Freeway, then there wouldn't be an issue.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Adagio wrote:Personally. I'm kinda torn between autonomous roads and people driving.
Because I know autonomous vehicles are going to be the most boring thing ever. It's gonna drive at speeds thats gonna make my granny impatient. And it's gonna look like a gee wiz.

But on the other side I see a lot of potential. And it's an interesting thing I'd love to work on.
It's a fact of progress. It'll be more efficient and faster.

We might not see this in our lifetime but the truth is a point in time will arise where manually driven cars will not have access to the transport infrastructure. It will happen eventually and probably be part of the public transportation system.

Motorsport enthusiasts will still be alive but as hobbyists on roads specifically meant for them without the point A to Point B functionality.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

As long as the roads are plentiful, easily accessible, and interesting, I wouldn't mind too much.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Adagio wrote:Because I know autonomous vehicles are going to be the most boring thing ever. It's gonna drive at speeds thats gonna make my granny impatient. And it's gonna look like a gee wiz.
Have you seen Tesla's self driving cars?
Blue_Sunset-1440.jpg

And my take on self driving cars: great for city driving... Imagine if, instead of spending 2 hours in traffic, you could just use autopilot and do something productive

It may be safer to also have it mandatory on highways and inter-city routes and such. But I don't think that'll ever happen. Driving is still very fun for a lot of people... It doesn't have to be 100% safe

Something I like about the Tesla's. Even in manual mode, if it detects an incoming collision, it takes control away from the driver and does what it must to avoid the collision, be that stop, swerve, accelerate... I like that. You're still driving, it just takes the wheel to avoid collisions
Mew?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

An update to one of my previous points which I found out actually happens. So I was at Lakeside Furs this past week and one of my friends brought his new car, a Tesla Model X. First, that is a sweet car! Go check one out when you get the opportunity. Looks awesome, packed with features and even Sev will probably love the acceleration. Anyway, it's got built in GPS and some weird beeping sounds. What that was was my friend had set the car to beep whenever he went more than ~6 kph over the speed limit. Most of the beeping was that he changed his speed according to the road signs and it took the GPS a bit longer the update the speed limits. So yes, some cars do update speed limits according to where you are and will beep at you.

Also, autopilot is kinda cool but struggles in some places. Probably best just for highways.
Valerion wrote:I will just leave this here.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-28851996

Google believes speeding is safer. If you look at their YT videos, you also see them go reasonably fast. Not rally-like, but fast.
Well that's just a misreading of what it says. It doesn't say that speeding is safer, it says that speeding when everyone else is speeding is safer. The safety aspect comes from doing the same as the other cars but that doesn't make it right. Almost certainly the entire situation is less safe than if they were at the speed limit but it's safer than if there were massive speed differences.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Yeah, electric vehicles make massive amounts of torque, and they make it everywhere - that's why they generally only have 1 gear.

I'd love to try out an electronic motorcycle since day.