Atheism vs Antitheism

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Re: Atheism vs Antitheism

Post by Cape_F0X »

Raynar wrote:... so that religions are nothing more than clubs, like a book club or country club.
This is the part that's going to get hate.

Just let those who know about religion do there thing, those who are curios learn what they want and the rest can stop misusing it to gain favor or spark hate.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf
Region: Gauteng

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I'm not a major fan of organised religion but if it helps keep the feeling of insignificance in your choices and quiets the voice of your mind telling you how lonely you really are in the largess of the universe. Go for it. Just don't drag me into your arguments if you can't keep an open mind about other people's opinions.

So, what Cape Fox said :3
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Raynar wrote:Hmmm, I'm going to be hated, but that's why we need a Secular one world order, so that religions are nothing more than clubs, like a book club or country club. Those don't have political power and neither shall religion have any political power in a secular one world order.
Clubs which gets audited for tax compliance and such.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

Honestly, I don't get why people always get so scared when they hear "one world government". Like, yeah. It depends who is in charge, of course. But that's true for literally any government...
Mew?
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

jacojerb wrote:Honestly, I don't get why people always get so scared when they hear "one world government". Like, yeah. It depends who is in charge, of course. But that's true for literally any government...
Sovereign states that cooperate is a better idea than one big globalist empire.
Diversity is good for the human ecosystem.

I used to think globalism was a good idea as well.
But it quickly became a scary thought.

The Soviets can’t keep Russia together.
America only has extreme opposite political parties.
UN mistreats their semi-independent countries to stick with their ideology.

The empires that came the closest to a stable system were the ones that did so through the military and did not give a damn about what the people in the empire thought.

I don’t trust a global empire because I know you can’t trust people. (Both the leaders and the population as a whole.)
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

Maybe when we humans eventually make skynet an AI we can't control, instead of murdering all humans it decides to 'Zoo' us instead. (Me hoping it's benevolent and not malevolent in its takeover)
Making sure we have food and water, and we aren't bored, but not allowing us to 'be in charge' of anything :P
"Oh let them write their books and movies and games for each other, silly little animals"

(/joke)
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

There was this interesting anime called Apple Seed.
They “semi-solved” the problem of human nature by mixing in Bioroids as the other 50% of the population.
These Bioroids are genetically engineered to be selfless, pacifist and hardworking super humans.
Because of this there is always a social/cultural force that’s stopping the worst parts of humanity from taking control.
Faanvolla wrote:Maybe when we humans eventually make skynet an AI we can't control, instead of murdering all humans it decides to 'Zoo' us instead. (Me hoping it's benevolent and not malevolent in its takeover)
Making sure we have food and water, and we aren't bored, but not allowing us to 'be in charge' of anything :P
"Oh let them write their books and movies and games for each other, silly little animals"

(/joke)
I think that there is an Outer Limits episode that does exactly that.
But that’s probably what automation will lead us too?
There are scientists that believe the ultimate goal of a civilization is too live in a Matrioshka Brain.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Raynar wrote:Hmmm, I'm going to be hated, but that's why we need a Secular one world order, so that religions are nothing more than clubs, like a book club or country club. Those don't have political power and neither shall religion have any political power in a secular one world order.
WHile it's an interesting idea, may the force be with you getting the religions of the world to agree to join the club :lol:

As a person who practices pagan/wiccan beliefs but is also quite happy to sit in church for a few hours, I agree with Franky that religion is too blame for a lot of the problems in the world... but it is also to blame for a fair amount of good.

Most religions teach peace as there priamry operating system (it just gets lost a lot, but it is there) and there are some that do massive amounts of relief work etc. So yeah, while they fight they also sometimes behave.

I had this interesting convo with a religious, slightly mentally challenged teenager at my stables the other day. She made a comment that one of the ponies looked like it was praying (it was half asleep, lying down but it's head was in the corner and the sun was shining on it making it look like it had a halo glow around it's head). I said "Nah, religion is a human construct, we made it up and horses don't believe in it." too which she replied "Well that explains why they like humans. Because if they had religion they'd decide we were all shit and hate our guts for not being horses".

My dad is athiest. He doesn't believe in deities. He believes everything has a purpose and that is simply to exist.

I sometimes like that way of thinking.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sa1tflat
Species: A filthy hybrid

Post by Sa1tflat »

RavenSong wrote: "Well that explains why they like humans. Because if they had religion they'd decide we were all shit and hate our guts for not being horses".
Someone should give that kid a medal!!

I have to say that I laughed more than I should have but I agree with the person's idea.

I make me think about a meme I saw (can't find it though) The meme said "who wants change" *every one lifts there hand* next window "who wants TO change" *no one lifts there hand*

This is the story of our current youth (their are exceptions).

Now back on topic as RavenSong said religion has been a cause for a lot of good and bad. Resent times I feel like religion is used for more "bad". Just remember bad is a subjective view...

That's all folks =)
@Sa1tflat on telegram.
I definitely straight as shit, definitely
Ok maybe not
Raynar
Species: Wolf

Post by Raynar »

Don't get me wrong, a one world government is impossible right now, borders are still too valueble, locked down by ideology and the bottom line. Maybe it's a concept worth revisiting in 500 years. But planting the seeds, that could happen now.
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Raynar wrote:Don't get me wrong, a one world government is impossible right now, borders are still too valueble, locked down by ideology and the bottom line. Maybe it's a concept worth revisiting in 500 years. But planting the seeds, that could happen now.
Then we can go to war with other planets!
If people don't like the one world government for any reason, (Religion, political, financial)
Migration and colonization will happen.
These new colonies might sprout into new societies that will resist the earth gov form meddling with them.

Imagine a planet where people can get the Sharia they wanted.
Or a objectivist solar-system where the rich make the rules.
Or a Anarchy system where you can escape your criminal record and use all the outlawed drugs you want.

You can almost make a sci-fy with this.
jacojerb
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I've thought about it before. You know how people are planning to colonize Mars? Imagine if the colonists plan to rebel. What is earth gonna do? Send people to punish them? While the financial cost is one thing, the time it'd take...

If we were to go to war with another colony, even if they were further away, e.g on one of the gas giants moons or even around another star, we would have to be prepared for the time delay. Whatever we send, the people we're attacking will have a lot of time to prepare. They might not know exactly what you're sending, but if they're rebelling, they will know to expect something

If we fast forward several hundred, or even thousand years... We may have some proper starships, as well as some bigger colonies. Assuming that faster than light travel is not yet possible, we could see some epic tales of earth sending an army and the rebels preparing for war for years
Mew?