Youtube's new add policy?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Youtube's new add policy?

Post by Adagio »

I've noticed a new type of unskippable adds. These are very very anoying, since some of them are litterely longer than the video I'm trying to watch...

I'm fine with the Youtube video adds that I could skip in a few seconds. But this is a bit ridiculous. They even randomly spawn in the middel of some videos...

Now the devil's advocate half.
I don't know if you guys know this. But Youtube actually runs at a loss(at least as of november 2015. I don't know if it changed since. I can't find more recent data) So. These adds may add to the experience somehow? (I'm clearly no good at playing devils advocate am I?)

I don't know... What do you guys think?
Sudan Red
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Lion

Re: Youtube's new add policy?

Post by Sudan Red »

Welllllll... it is a free service and adverts are to be expected... BUT I do pay for the data the ads are now gobbling up. That in itself pisses me off.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

The adds I find are the most successful and least annoying are a series of funny adds. Like Nissan's #In a Micra and Chevrolet's Will it tow? Because there is more than one it isn't repetitive and the completionst in you wants to see them all. Capitec's waiting in queues is also a well executed add.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

If they keep it short, yeah! I have no problem. But a minute at the most.

Instead I have to sit through a 5 minute add for Kia for a 3 minute video... That's stupid...
Sudan Red wrote:Welllllll... it is a free service and adverts are to be expected... BUT I do pay for the data the ads are now gobbling up. That in itself pisses me off.
Agreed... I was already pissed with the previous ones. Because it downloaded them in HD and you couldn't turn that off...
Not to mention the looong load times on slower connections...
That 5 second wait time turned into a few minutes...
Cape_F0X wrote:The adds I find are the most successful and least annoying are a series of funny adds. Like Nissan's #In a Micra and Chevrolet's Will it tow? Because there is more than one it isn't repetitive and the completionst in you wants to see them all. Capitec's waiting in queues is also a well executed add.
Unfortunately that's also objective...
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

I only see unskippable 10 second ads, and I've only ever had one mid roll ad.
If I started getting 3 min ads on a 3 min video I'm just going to be refreshing that page till it goes away, or skipping the vid.

YouTubers also don't get any ad revenue if you skip the ad, you need to actually run the whole ad, and even then they only really get cents per click on the ad.
Mid rolls can only be placed on 10 minute+ vids, and that's why a lot of content creators have moved to posting longer videos ( rip animators ).
The recommendation feature also heavily prefers watch time over views, so that is another incentive for creators to create longer videos, ergo more possible mid roll ads.

A good video I can recommend on this:

( two short follow ups: boop, boop )
So, if you've been seeing more ads than usual, it could mean that maybe you're being tracked more so you're getting more targeted advertisements :P

Personally, if YouTubeRed was available in Sweden/SA I would just pay for that and know that I wont have to see ads, and still support the creators.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

It started for me a few days ago on my laptop. Thought it might have been a glitch since the net was a bit unstable. Maybe the skip button didn't load?
But then I started noticing it on my desktop too...

There's litterely a 5 minute add, and I was trying to watch a 7 minute video.

I've seen quite a few already today on LinusTechTips. And a bunch on ColdFusion as well...
And I am starting to skip the video's entirely. Are adds really that important?
If they start making people skip the videos they want to watch?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

And that is why is use uBlock Origin.

I don't have the time or the inclination to watch advertisements.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Oh... I thought Youtube had some attention deficit disorder policy. I've got an ad blocker and I don't see any ads on Youtube. Unless something has changed over today but I doubt it.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

It seems. Add blocker was what cased it...

Disabling add blocker brought back the "Skip Add" button...

And the Add Blocker Sev talked about didn't work... Mostly got black screens...
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

I use both uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger in Firefox, and I also don't see YouTube ads any more.

Then again, I also have an active Play Music subscription, so that may also have an effect. Even though YouTube Red is not yet available in SA (I think)
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)

Post by Faanvolla »

I just have "AdBlock" on chrome and never see on desktop.
Only when I use my phone app/chromecast
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I have both now. And I still see adds... Haha! But yeah... At least I don't need to watch the adds now...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

*Ads.

It is spelled ads. There we go. The rage that was bottled up inside is now gone. :P Just kidding, Adge.

I myself haven't encountered any unskippable ad that has been longer than 10 seconds - much as in the case of Faan. I do not know if it is therefore the result of a new site policy. YouTube is running at a loss, but a move like that would annoy their membership.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Adblock Plus is really good at blocking ads. I actually forget there are any on Youtube and then get completely freaked out on other people's computers.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~