SA downgraded

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

SA downgraded

Post by Valerion »

So. It happened. If anyone wants to post about it, please stay civil and rational. It may be better to wait and see how this plays out.

I will stomp on a flamewar or uncivil posts. I myself will not comment, as I will be breaking the forum rules if I do.
Galahad

Re: SA downgraded

Post by Galahad »

It is infuriating, but the fear of it happening was not new. Unfortunately, the reality is that we will now have to take a defensive foot back economically and tighten our belts. Draft a budget more carefully, use your vote decisively in the next general elections, and we will be able to ride out this storm. I won't make light of the situation, but one potentially good outcome is that it will shock South Africa into realizing the danger of abuse of constitutional power, and inspire them to deal with the threat more urgently.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

It's sad to see how hard people like Pravin tried to avoid this, and how flagrantly JZ ruined it for us all.

As Galahad said, this was coming a long time but at least it happened now: hopefully that will add fuel to the anti-Zuma fire, and shock people - inside the ANC even - into action.

Deputy president Cyril Ramaphosa publically condemned Zuma's actions, and said, "it is time for SA to unite, and get rid of greedy and corrupt people." That's a big deal. Also apparently the ANC ethics and integrity committe (believe it or not they actually have one, lol) have actually called for JZ to be fired.

http://m.ewn.co.za/2017/04/03/cyril-ram ... upt-people
Hahaha! :lol:
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Galahad wrote:Unfortunately, the reality is that we will now have to take a defensive foot back economically and tighten our belts.
So you're saying eat at Nando's?

"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

My thoughts on recent events is best kept to myself. When elections come everyone just split their opinions and do the stupid thing and come back complaining about the leader they voted for.

This colonialism thing with Zille and the way the DA is treating it is damaging their voter count which they worked so hard for. So this country is just gonna stay under the rule of corrupt individuals who are only looking out for their personal best intrests.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

I'm considering marching this Friday, something I've not considered doing at any given point, I've been telling my students that it is in essence, their social responsibility to take a stand here and now.

Heard about this in the car last night and admittedly, very briefly, considered finding a convenient bridge to drive off of. As a politically and socially considerate South African, we dearly need to take a stand here and now. It's not just about the ANC/DA (I voted DA last time for lack of a better party. This before I knew I could spoil my ballot. Hopefully soon I'll be able to vote for a socially responsible party) split or black vs white or whatever else is going on any more. As people of this country, we need to take a stand. This is the veritable line in the sand. Here and no further.

We won't go anywhere if we're kept both willfully AND unwillingly ignorant of the goings on in our country. Everybody has a social responsibility to be able to have the means to grow. It MUST happen.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I don't see anything happening to Zuma - he has just too masterfully surrounded himself with his puppets and supporters.
If it comes to a vote, then they could very well be able to swing it.
Inkswitch
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: unicorn
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Inkswitch »

Sev wrote:I don't see anything happening to Zuma - he has just too masterfully surrounded himself with his puppets and supporters.
I dunno. Opposition to him within his own party has been growing right alongside external opposition and this may (hopefully) be the thing that finally forces everyone to join forces and oust him.
You can crew your ship but you can't ship your crew
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Ivic_Wulfe wrote:I'm considering marching this Friday, something I've not considered doing at any given point, I've been telling my students that it is in essence, their social responsibility to take a stand here and now.

Heard about this in the car last night and admittedly, very briefly, considered finding a convenient bridge to drive off of. As a politically and socially considerate South African, we dearly need to take a stand here and now. It's not just about the ANC/DA (I voted DA last time for lack of a better party. This before I knew I could spoil my ballot. Hopefully soon I'll be able to vote for a socially responsible party) split or black vs white or whatever else is going on any more. As people of this country, we need to take a stand. This is the veritable line in the sand. Here and no further.

We won't go anywhere if we're kept both willfully AND unwillingly ignorant of the goings on in our country. Everybody has a social responsibility to be able to have the means to grow. It MUST happen.
I’m also considering this march.

To be honest, I don’t condone protesting via the damage of infrastructure and retarding economic progress. In a perfect world a unanimous online response from the country’s citizens should be enough but the last 5 years proved that in a sea of 0 supports for our president they just keep him in office and let him further drag this country down. This Dictatorship is the problem people are facing and they’re actually fighting for democracy instead of the removal of one single entity. Yes this entity known as Jacob Zuma. He belongs in a Jail cell with the key thrown away in my personal opinion. Actually many more corrupt individuals currently in government deserves the exact same treatment for their atrocities against the citizens of this country.

Protesting however is poison. But since we’re dealing with true cancer maybe in this one instance the citizens need to fight the rotten disease eating away at the core of South-Africa with poison. The cANCer doesn’t obey rules, it won’t finish until it killed off its victim and it’ll fight with everything it has to remain in control.

I propose a well organised gigantic protest for the first time in my life because loyalty is getting us nowhere.

Also for those considering as well. I’m just saying to be careful. Large angry protests tend to turn into riots and is the reason I’m kinda weary about it myself. The f#ckin newly appointed deputy police minister had the nerve to try and scare people off mentioning the Marikana massacre. Yeah these are the people we supposedly trust with our safety in South-Africa. @GovernmentZA dumb tweets are what’s pushing me over the edge in the first place.
1.png
2.png
Yes I don't condone violent protesting but the ANC wasn’t nearly as concerned about the livelihoods of its citizens during the #feesmustfall protests. It is damn clear their interests are in not in the safety or well being of the nation at all.
1453915780.koul_protest_ (1).jpg
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

To everyone opting to join protests - it is your constitutional right to do so BUT remember that it is also your responsibility to do so peacefully. Follow instructions from peacekeepers. If things get hairy, get the hell out of dodge.

My offices are close to the Union Buildings. If you are feeling unsafe during the march, please contact me (PM me during the next few days to get my contact numbers) and I will let you in to our premises.

Trust me when I tell you that I know the Acting National Commissioner personally and that he will not hesitate to have any rowdy protestors arrested & prosecuted. Don't be caught in that category.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I agree with Sudan. My main problem with protests in South Africa (or like the ones in the US regarding Trump) is that they tend to become violent and destructive. That is just not acceptable.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

For those taking part in the protests, be safe and keep it clean and non-violent. I hope you are safe, and that it doesn't turn into another Marikana-like incident. Our new police minister seems way too gung-ho for my tastes, mixed with a protest of this kind.

To those not taking part, good luck with traffic and the effects of the protest.

To the police, let's try to let this pass peacefully. This, unfortunately, have the potential to explode quite rapidly. Citizens are just that - citizens of this country. They have the right to protest peacefully, and the majority are non-violent. If there's violence, then perhaps a better approach would be to try and de-escalate the situation.
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Valerion wrote:To the police, let's try to let this pass peacefully. This, unfortunately, have the potential to explode quite rapidly. Citizens are just that - citizens of this country. They have the right to protest peacefully, and the majority are non-violent. If there's violence, then perhaps a better approach would be to try and de-escalate the situation.
Remember that police members are people too. They also want to go home to their families. There is only a very thin blue line between peaceful protests & anarchy. The police are there to keep everyone safe - at high risk to themselves. Comply with their instructions. Identify violent elements in the crowd & report them to attending police members - do not act as cover, you will get hurt. MOST IMPORTANTLY, get to a safe place when shit starts going down. A handful of people can derail an otherwise peaceful protest & put everyone at risk of injury.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Sudan Red wrote:
Valerion wrote:To the police, let's try to let this pass peacefully. This, unfortunately, have the potential to explode quite rapidly. Citizens are just that - citizens of this country. They have the right to protest peacefully, and the majority are non-violent. If there's violence, then perhaps a better approach would be to try and de-escalate the situation.
Remember that police members are people too. They also want to go home to their families. There is only a very thin blue line between peaceful protests & anarchy. The police are there to keep everyone safe - at high risk to themselves. Comply with their instructions. Identify violent elements in the crowd & report them to attending police members - do not act as cover, you will get hurt. MOST IMPORTANTLY, get to a safe place when shit starts going down. A handful of people can derail an otherwise peaceful protest & put everyone at risk of injury.
Yes! To the lioness you listen.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sudan Red wrote:To everyone opting to join protests - it is your constitutional right to do so BUT remember that it is also your responsibility to do so peacefully. Follow instructions from peacekeepers. If things get hairy, get the hell out of dodge.

My offices are close to the Union Buildings. If you are feeling unsafe during the march, please contact me (PM me during the next few days to get my contact numbers) and I will let you in to our premises.

Trust me when I tell you that I know the Acting National Commissioner personally and that he will not hesitate to have any rowdy protestors arrested & prosecuted. Don't be caught in that category.
Respect.
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

I am going to do some light raiding Friday.
Maybe start a Waaagh if the mood takes me.
Inkswitch
Sexual preference: Bi-mostly gay
Species: unicorn
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Inkswitch »

Some tips for those considering protesting on Friday.

1: if you think you'll get into trouble, perhaps wear something to cover your face (bandanas work well)
2: leave your phone at home. police can use gps data/mobile tower positioning to place you at the site so if this is going to be an issue, best to go without it
3: We've seen enough footage recently to know that our police love them some tear-gas. Below is a quick guide to making your own budget gas-mask to protect yourself.

Stay safe, everyone, and good luck out there
Attachments
gas mask.jpg
You can crew your ship but you can't ship your crew
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Inkswitch wrote: if you think you'll get into trouble, perhaps wear something to cover your face (bandanas work well)
Isn't obscuring your face in a public protest illegal?
Sudan Red

Post by Sudan Red »

Galahad wrote:
Inkswitch wrote: if you think you'll get into trouble, perhaps wear something to cover your face (bandanas work well)
Isn't obscuring your face in a public protest illegal?
Yes it is. Do NOT bring masks & balaclavas. Do NOT bring anything that could be interpreted as a weapon. You will get warned before rubber bullets & teargas are deployed. You will KNOW when shit is about to get real.

LEAVE IMMEDIATELY.

I will hopefully be at work around the Union Buildings until noon-ish. If anyone needs help, please contact me. My offer stands until my Brigadier chooses to release us from duty due to safety concerns to life & property.

And please, folks. Quit painting the police as this one homogenous group of "out-to-get-you". If you don't act like an asshole, chances are that everyone is going home all smiles.

In fact, try to chat with the police members on duty. They are likely tired & nervous too. A bit of kindness to public servants is the very least anyone can contribute towards their safety. On a psychological level, it makes the crowd more "human" to the peacekeepers & they might be less likely to use violent methods to disperse them.

Just be safe & be calm!
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

The police isn't painted in a pretty light due to some good reasons. Agreed.

But like Sudan said. They are people. People with a job to keep us safe.

I personally know a few very good police officers and various other positions.
Asbjorn-phoenix
Papa Bear
Species: FireBear - Bear Phoenix hybrid

Post by Asbjorn-phoenix »

Well all things considered the marches went off without too much interference, and I was pleasantly surprised to see how many people of different ethnicities pitched up.

There is going to be another March on Friday organised by the political parties where the last were organised is edenvale by civic organisations.

Anyone who did not march on Friday should consider the next one next Friday, I recon it should go down just as well as the others.

One march is not going to make a huge difference, we as a society need to engage in continued protests and make our voices heard.
If you've done nothing wrong you have nothing to fear,
if you've something to hide you shouldn't be here.