Mobile sites??!?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Mobile sites??!?

Post by Adagio »

So... I was trying to get some sheet music from a mobile site just now. And after 10 minutes of pages going blank. Or jumping to the top of the screen when I reached the bottom. I tried accessing the full site rather than the mobile one, only to realize that they don't allow you to...
(The forum does the same and it anoys me so much. My phone has a 1080p display! I don't need a mobile version!)

So I was thinking. As a pretty tech savy community. Whats your take on mobile sites?
I personally have a deep seated hatred for them for the reason they never seem to work. And they throw away functionality that I always seem to need. Like BidOrBuy... The search function is sooo limited. And you're stuck with the first page because the next buttons don't work.

I've installed add ons on my browser to always request desktop sites. But somehow lately they stopped working. I have to untick the box, and retick it manually... And by that time. They already loaded the mobile site, and loaded the URL as m.website.postfix so... I need to change the URL too. And usually that means I need to start my search from scratch since the mobile URL isn't the same as the desktop one...

So... What do you guys think on mobile sites?
(wow... This turned into a rant didn't it?)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Re: Mobile sites??!?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Generally I don't like them but I get why they do it. Even if your phone has the same resolution, the image is so much smaller you wouldn't be able to read or navigate if it was just a scaled down desktop. A loss of function is really annoying though but you can always change the browser you use. The Firefox mobile browser also has an option to request the desktop version of a site. I only use Firefox for sites that need fancy tools working otherwise I generally just use Opera Mini on mobile.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Firefox for Android works pretty well for me. If you're not having much luck with the "request desktop site" feature though you can try the add-on called Phony, which can spoof your resolution and/or OS to make the site load however you want it to.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Adagio wrote:(The forum does the same and it anoys me so much. My phone has a 1080p display! I don't need a mobile version!))
Weird. I get the full version on my phone/tablet. It simply flows to fit the screen, and hides a few controls that doesn't fit (grouping them in other controls), but otherwise it looks the same. Can you PM me some screenshots so I can see what you see?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

I use Firefox with the Phony add on... But it stipped woring some months ago...
Some sites, like the forum, just refuse to give desktop sites...
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Yes, in the code you can choose to ignore requests and go with what the reported res/OS is. That's how Phony used to get around that, but if it's broken now then idk, haven't used it in ages.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Here's what the forum looks like in Chrome on my phone, in both orientations, with "Request desktop Site" unchecked. Some information is condensed, while others are aligned differently to fit the screen form factor. You can't scroll side-to-side, that is flowed into the form factor automatically. I speak under correction (can't log into the server to check from here), but Bootstrap is used for that. The style sheet automatically adjusts according to the width of the device, so you get a full screen no matter what resolution you use, instead of using a fixed-width screen layout.

The portrait layout, for example, doesn't have the "New posts" option, that is put in a dropdown menu instead, as there's no space for it on the screen. In the landscape layout it does show up, though, as there is space to display it.
Screenshot_2017-03-17-14-02-16.png
Screenshot_2017-03-17-14-02-08.png
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Here ya go...

Small things. Like sending a PM with quoted text is missing.

Things I used a lot.
I also like seeing the stats there on the side.
Now I have to go into a profile to see them.

Also... Worth mentioning.
I'm not getting emails about posts anymore... For a looong while now.

I never use portrait mode... So I won't bother posting that.
Attachments
photo_2017-03-17_17-36-40.jpg
Capture.PNG
Kievvu
Species: Canis Lupus
Region: Northwest and North Cape

Post by Kievvu »

I once spent 5 days working on a website (first time ever doing that btw) and I managed to get both desktop and mobile versions working perfectly.
So all I can say is that if I can do it then I really don't get why businesses etc are incapable of doing it and yeah it annoys me also. Especially one site I go on where it works perfectly on desktop yet on mobile when you access the menu it doesn't show all of it without scrolling down. But when you scroll down the whole page jumps and the menu disappears making it impossible to get past the homepage.
Steam: Kievvu
Telegram: @Kievvu
Furry Amino: Kievvu
Discord: Kievvu#1856
Blizzard: Kievvu#2944
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Adagio wrote:I'm not getting emails about posts anymore... For a looong while now.
Really? I stopped getting emails for new PMs but I thought it was cause it happened around the same time that I changed my email address and I thought maybe they were being blocked even though I tried whitelisting them. Maybe that was actually a general problem. Anyone else having email issues?
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Adagio wrote:I'm not getting emails about posts anymore... For a looong while now.
Really? I stopped getting emails for new PMs but I thought it was cause it happened around the same time that I changed my email address and I thought maybe they were being blocked even though I tried whitelisting them. Maybe that was actually a general problem. Anyone else having email issues?
Was a few weeks after I changed my email also...
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

I also don't get e-mail notifications of PM's, but it's OK, only guys PM me so they can wait.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy

Maybe it's changing your email address that messes it up? Valerion?
~John Stuart Mill~

~John Milton~
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

Actually I've never gotten emails for PMs in the time I've been on the forum...
I used to get emails for replies on threads I posted on, but I lost that a while back.
I haven't changed my email address at all.
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

My email PM notification is on, but I ain't get no PMs
Someone send me something to test,

As for mobile sites,
Sorted by preference:
-As similar/same as desktop with reason but scales to the screen width
-mobile site
-desktop site but the text is bigger
-
-
-"uh oh. Something went wrong" / "404 not found"
-
-mobile site with broken UI
-site made for only full screen desktop & the text is so small I need to zoom in & scroll 5 mins left to right to read a paragraph.

:P
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Mmm ... mine is disabled because I come here often. Will have to test.