Fantasy Science

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Fantasy Science

Post by Raven Song »

Soooo... I have this little secret love... it's, well it's my greatest sadness due to a complete ineptitude for physics and maths... but...

I LOVE THE CONCEPT OF FANTASY SCIENCE BEING A POSSIBILTY!!!!

Like, for example:
Growing up I watched Eureka 7, and it became my favourite anime, right. so in the show they use these things called ref boards and they react against the air thermals, called trapper waves in the show, and this causes the board to fly.

So this got me thinking, could this really happen?

So here is how my uneducated brain would go about creating a board that can fly -
1) take all of the known elements found in the air, and return them to liquid form. The, magnify the resultant liquid (as in expose to an electromagnet). this will cause, in my terribly deluded mind, the liquid to become polarily opposite to the particles in the air. as long as an electric current runs through the liquid it would reacte against the air, and, when contained in say... channels carved into a snow board, it would cause the board the float as it is pushed around by the magnetism...

Now look, my thinking is about as sci-fi as the anime it came from... I lack the scientific knowledge to make anything work/realise why this would NEVER work.

But I want to hear what You guys think! maybe you have different ideas? or maybe you've seen something in a sci-fi film and thought "I bet I could make that"/"I bet I could get that to work"

so yeah, go for it :P

Also, because it slips into the realm of fantasy etc. I don't think there really is a wrong answer here... I mean other than obviously scientifically speaking it wouldn't work, but it would be cool to see if maybe, those more scientifically/enginerically inclined could come up with almost got it ideas :P
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Re: Fantasy Science

Post by Adagio »

Don't five up on real science yet Mrs. Raven...

As for Pseudo Science... I would be enthralled by a city like the one in Bioshock. (The real one. Rapture, not that horrible one in Infinite... Rapture was at least partly plausible... Not some stupid floating city) I'd be completely in my elements exploring and learning what makes it tic... I love the design and architecture, the steampunk dekor...

I'd easily get lost in there!
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

The problem with fantasy science is energy...

If we could have infinite energy in the form of a battery, a hoverboard wouldn't be that hard to do...

I'm pretty sure the science doesn't add up, but if it did, it'd need a loooot or energy...

Same with rapture. Underwater buildings are a thing... But building it requires a lot more effort than building on land... The sea floor isn't exactly the most stable, will need to dig really deep to actually get a decent foundation... Then there's the buildings themselves. They'll need to withstand a lot of pressure, and not corrode, and be airtight... And then there's the logistics of actually building it...

Not impossible, by any means, but Andrew Ryan could've probably built a country for the same price as Rapture
Mew?
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

Since I've been small, I've had an idea of how UFO's could work. With magnets...

Basically like the magnet trains in japan. Electro magnets cycling to push it along... Except in a circle

This could make the bottom spin at great speeds. Then you just need to carve diagnol lines to direct the air down as its spinning, and you've basically got a fancy helicopter

Would have a few problems. Keeping the top half stable while the bottom half rotates, and getting it to not just flip over...

And, of course, itd need air to work. So wont work it space...

But it might make the "whoo whoo whoo" sound UFO's always make in ths movies/cartoons. So good enough for me
Mew?
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

jacojerb wrote:Keeping the top half stable while the bottom half rotates
Gyroscope & what they did to keep BB8 from StarWars7's head upright might do it.

Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Oooo! Id love a rapture!!! Such oretty so deathy.

Ive always felt that if you could build a city underwater the best way would be like scuba divers do with boyancy, u know, change the weight so tge city doesnt sit on the bottom of the ocean, rather floats just above it... that way it would be secure against tectonic shifts... but currents may become a factor then...
jacojerb

Post by jacojerb »

RavenSong wrote:Oooo! Id love a rapture!!! Such oretty so deathy.

Ive always felt that if you could build a city underwater the best way would be like scuba divers do with boyancy, u know, change the weight so tge city doesnt sit on the bottom of the ocean, rather floats just above it... that way it would be secure against tectonic shifts... but currents may become a factor then...
Also, getting a whole city to be boyant...

Just adding a few kilograms to a diver (in the form of a weight belt) is enough to make them sink... A city is made out of steel or concrete... And there was the high pressure thus high structural strain thus thick material thing...

I mean, I love the idea. Instead of making it secure to the bottem, you just secure it to itself and make it float...

Maybe you can add big ass air balloon things? Might actually be cheaper than a big ass foundation... Though less secure...

Would be so cool though!
Mew?
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Ooo! Thats a good idea! Like pontoons but instead of floaring on the surface they sort of hold the balance below the surface...

One thing ive always wanted to see is a hovering car... now, that UFO idea might work to make a car hover...
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

RavenSong wrote:Ooo! Thats a good idea! Like pontoons but instead of floaring on the surface they sort of hold the balance below the surface...

One thing ive always wanted to see is a hovering car... now, that UFO idea might work to make a car hover...
They exist!! In trains at least...
I can't get a video of the MagLev Train... Because I'm on mobile data right now.. But check it out!
Not sure where. Think it's in Shanghai. They have a train that runs on Electro-Magnetic Tracks. It litterer hovers above it while it's moving, which allows it to achieve incredible speeds!
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

But now how do we get that for cars without having to replace the roads?
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

RavenSong wrote:But now how do we get that for cars without having to replace the roads?
Cant have your cake and eat it unfortunately...
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

But I want my proverbial futurisic caaake!!!