Some Positive World News

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena
Region: Gauteng

Some Positive World News

Post by Ryall »

For those of you feeling a little glum with news, here is some positive news about some amazing altruism being exercised on a massive, organised scale by humanity, from institutions we often give a bad rap to as being wholly self-serving.

Now, this is all animations, and there are no actual images of the results of flesh-eating parasites, for any of you who are squeamish and were worried by the title of the video.

They don't do it for publicity - it's difficult to find this advertised anywhere - and they definitely don't do it for profits, considering the cost to them and how much profits they could make if they let these parasites spread a little and then sold the treatment at a high markup to accessible areas. It's quite amazing actually.

Comment, discuss, or share your own positive news which we may be unaware of. :)

Also, check out 'Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell,' it's a great channel. Splicer-Fox, I know you're already a fan, thanks for showing it to me way back when. ;)
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Re: Some Positive World News

Post by Sev »

That channel's content is absolutely top notch.

You should watch the one on the Fermi Paradox.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Already watched the Fermi Paradox. I have watched all of them in fact: I am subscribed. Top notch as you say.
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

Must. Resist. Being. Cynical...

:P

The... er... video was really well made. As in the animation and all of that was rather appealing. The first bit about that emperor... that was really interesting. I should look him up, definitely a smart, albeit cruel, tactical decision on his part.

And lastly, supposed 'altruism' aside, I'm glad those countries get the help they need.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Ryall wrote: Also, check out 'Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell,' it's a great channel. Splicer-Fox, I know you're already a fan, thanks for showing it to me way back when. ;)
I got more interesting channels.
YouTube has this tendency to only promote gaming related content.
There are a few things I do strongly disagree with the channel though.

Do you think that one day animal activists like PETA will want to protect endangered parasites?
That is a interesting thought to me.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

The issue I had with this video is that I posted it elsewhere when it came out (before if was posted here), wanting to promote the good news story. Only to find out that one of the members have a very serious phobia about internal parasites, and could not appreciate the message. So perhaps be a little careful when spreading it, due to the content.

I liked the overall story, though.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

If they have a phobia of it, then wouldn't it come as a relief to them that the bastards are finally getting their just due?
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Sev wrote:If they have a phobia of it, then wouldn't it come as a relief to them that the bastards are finally getting their just due?
But unable to watch the video. Remember the definition - irrational fear. As a person with phobias myself, I completely understand how bad the reaction can be, and no amount of rational argument can dispel it.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

@ Cyn politely agreeing on my thread? What is this, opposite day? Jk, glad you enjoyed it. :P It's true we don't know all the facts and circumstances around the pharmaceuticals doing what they're doing, and there may be some ulterior motives to them doing this, but I hope not, or at least, I hope those motives aren't part of a zero-sum game.

@ Splicer, that's unlikely because as parasites, in order to survive, they need to cause pain and suffering to other animals, but unlike carnivores which we protect such as lions and tigers, the parasites - worms, insect larvae and bacteria - do not feel pain, because they do not have nociceptors or the capacity to feel emotions.

@ Valerion, I am glad you also liked the video. The problem with catering to phobias though, is what about the people who have phobias of cats, dogs, and birds? How would the furry fandom accommodate them? And what if my fursona was a common phobia, like a snake or an arachnid?
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Ryall wrote:@ Splicer, that's unlikely because as parasites, in order to survive, they need to cause pain and suffering to other animals, but unlike carnivores which we protect such as lions and tigers, the parasites - worms, insect larvae and bacteria - do not feel pain, because they do not have nociceptors or the capacity to feel emotions.
Depends what your motivation is. If it's "extinction is forever" and general respect for life then there's no reason to protect parasites too. Personally I do find it quite odd to see people talking about how terrible it is that some species are almost extinct while others are, with little to no objections, actively planning the extinction of some species. It all depends on how cuddly and photogenic the species is.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Ryall wrote: @ Splicer, that's unlikely because as parasites, in order to survive, they need to cause pain and suffering to other animals, but unlike carnivores which we protect such as lions and tigers, the parasites - worms, insect larvae and bacteria - do not feel pain, because they do not have nociceptors or the capacity to feel emotions.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote: Depends what your motivation is. If it's "extinction is forever" and general respect for life then there's no reason to protect parasites too. Personally I do find it quite odd to see people talking about how terrible it is that some species are almost extinct while others are, with little to no objections, actively planning the extinction of some species. It all depends on how cuddly and photogenic the species is.
Some of those activists torture themselves as part of a protest.
They get branded or tagged like beef cows for instance.

I can see them use parasitic infection as a badge of piety. (Like a proud worshiper of Nurgal)
They will probably assign their creatures names and personalities too.

We should create a parasite that is Cute, Able to scream when in pain and can stare at people accusingly.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Those exist. They're called children.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I think that that is what he was going for.