Censorship

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Censorship

Post by Leeward »

In response to Valerion's post here, since
Valerion wrote:Please do NOT repond to this post. I am not going to have a debate in this thread about the merits of freedom of expression and the ways in which people see that. You are welcome to start a thread on that, but be careful, I may just decide to use my own freedoms there.
You have it so completely wrong I don't know where to begin, so I'll start at the top.
Freedom of speech doesn't mean you are free of the consquences of said speech. I read through the posts Rakuen removed, and all they contain is a verbal spat between yourself and Sev, and I cannot see how that has anything to do with the topic under discussion. Going off-topic is one thing, to a limited extent, but attacking a fellow forumite for no apparent reason is quite another.
First of all, this has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of speech, and you're starting to sound really clichéed with that "consequences of free speech" line of yours.

Second of all, the first post that was removed contained a valid point, namely that having prejudices and acting upon them are two different things, not entirely unlike using a mental disorder as an excuse for any and all behaviour. That in itself is not starting a fight. Sev could have taken it at face value rather than taken it as an attack; it was not a thinly veiled insult on my part.
I try to keep this a civil place to have a reasoned debate, but that depends on the people actually not just snapping at each other. We also have to maintain order in a forum like this one, like it or not. I completely agree with Rakuen that these should be removed.
I mostly agree here, but (A) I did not make any direct attacks, and (B) it was not off-topic.
I will also remind you that you very recently asked us to remove some posts off the forum that you didn't agree that they were posted here. We did so, and I didn't hear you complaining about censorship then.
Irrelevant and out of context. The posts I asked you to remove contained sensitive information about myself which I didn't want publicly visible. That is completely justified.
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing
Region: Gauteng

Re: Censorship

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Have you heard of the Golden rule?
He who has the Gold makes the rules.

If the owners or democratic majority of the form don’t want something discussed they have the right and power to make it so.
But we are always welcome to use another platform or perhaps make another website.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Sorry but I agree with the admins on this site. Their house, their rules.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Since censorship is the antithesis of free speech, I can see how the latter factors in. Nonetheless, much of what was removed was, in my opinion, a petty and off-topic quarrel - one that could have taken place elsewhere. Also, you say you did not make any direct attacks, but you called Sev a "clot".

I dislike taking sides on a multi-faceted issue such as this, but I am in agreement with Valerion on this issue.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Splicer-Fox wrote:Have you heard of the Golden rule?
Franky wrote:Their house, their rules.
This is not a question of whether I agree with their rules. This is about inconsistent enforcement and arbitrary judgements.
Splicer-Fox wrote:But we are always welcome to use another platform or perhaps make another website.
That's exactly what those of us who got fed up with this crap did.
Galahad wrote:Nonetheless, much of what was removed was, in my opinion, a petty and off-topic quarrel - one that could have taken place elsewhere.
Yes, I agree with you, but I was referring only to my first "off-topic" post, namely this one.
Had that one been left alone, I wouldn't be making such a fuss.
Also, you say you did not make any direct attacks, but you called Sev a "clot".
Once again, not in the first post that was removed. And "clot" is not exactly a huge insult; I could have said "silly" instead to convey the same sentiment.
Google wrote:clot
klät/
noun
noun: clot; plural noun: clots

a thick mass of coagulated liquid, especially blood, or of material stuck together.
"a flat, wet clot of dead leaves"
synonyms: lump, clump, mass; More
thrombus, thrombosis, embolus;
informalglob, gob
"blood clots"
Britishinformal
a foolish or clumsy person.
"“Watch where you're going, you clot!”"
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Leeward wrote: Splicer-Fox wrote:
Have you heard of the Golden rule?

Franky wrote:
Their house, their rules.

This is not a question of whether I agree with their rules. This is about inconsistent enforcement and arbitrary judgements.
He who has the Gold can change the rules too.

They say that a good mediator knows when to compromise.
But you will never ever be able to keep everybody happy.

I probably missed a few months on the ZA Form but did a similar complaint against the rules and admin not happen before?
What was the outcome of that?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Change the rules? That's what playground bullies do when they start losing the game, not site admins losing control of their membership. It's not a compromise, it's double standards and favouritism, and I'm calling them out as laughably inconsistent because they only act when it suits them or they're asked to.

The bottom line I'm trying to make here is that I am sick and tired of things been taken the wrong way all the time and stuff like drama and conflict being routinely swept under the rug so we can pretend we're all one big happy "furmily".

The atmosphere on this forum is suffocatingly officious, obnoxious, and quite frankly unwelcoming. No wonder people don't come back here. You claim to be THE South African furry boards (it's literally right there in the site sub-title), but you're just self-appointed thought police acting like they're petting zoo staff. I've spoken to people who are barely active here or who have left for various reasons, and they all agree, this forum is ruining the SA fandom experience for everyone with its stupid politics and power plays. The sheer number of faux pas and bad handling of situations in this forum's history is proof that the leadership here is totally and utterly broken and incompetent.

This place had the potential to be a central hub for furries from the whole country, but the only people here are the old regulars and starry-eyed newbies who haven't seen the ugly side yet. Why? Because everyone with the slightest amount of self-respect comes to the conclusion that this place is a colossal waste of time. I'm still here because I want this can of worms open for all to see.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

Sev could have taken it at face value rather than taken it as an attack; it was not a thinly veiled insult on my part.
How could it have been taken any other way?

Asperger's and acting like an asshole? Sound familiar?

It should, because it was something that you made a big point of while were still communicating. The fact that your follow up responses came across as disingenuous, bordering on patronizing, did not help your case at all.

I showed the interaction to a couple of other furs, and they all agreed that it really was out of left field - especially considering that the tensions between us seemed to be subsiding once again.

Prior to this, I was trying to make another attempt at possibly becoming friends again, but, now, I don't see that ever happening.

At this point, I really couldn't care if I get banned again - temp or otherwise; the furs that I still consider friends aren't even active here anymore.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Leeward wrote:Second of all, the first post that was removed contained a valid point, namely that having prejudices and acting upon them are two different things, not entirely unlike using a mental disorder as an excuse for any and all behaviour. That in itself is not starting a fight. Sev could have taken it at face value rather than taken it as an attack; it was not a thinly veiled insult on my part.
The point was valid, the unnecessary dig was not. I contemplated leaving that particular post but in the end decided against it as it offered very little to the thread and, judging by your behaviour over the past few months and replies to Sev, it was intended as an insult to him. It would not make sense to remove the off-topic fight while leaving the post that caused it. After that there was absolutely nothing preventing you from making the same point without veiled, or even unintentional, insults.
Leeward wrote:Irrelevant and out of context. The posts I asked you to remove contained sensitive information about myself which I didn't want publicly visible. That is completely justified.
It's also completely justified to remove off-topic and/or insulting posts. And it's relevant since you are talking about posts being removed. Further there was no explicit information about you provided. What there was was a reference to where you worked which, barring further knowledge of you, could be, and was, by me, taken to be a joke. It's also strange that you now call it sensitive information when it's not particularly different to information you had freely provided before such as while studying and working at the same company as Sev.
Leeward wrote:This is not a question of whether I agree with their rules. This is about inconsistent enforcement and arbitrary judgements.
This was neither inconsistent nor arbitrary. You were involved in a series of posts that were off-topic and contrary to the rules so they were removed. If you want to discuss something that you feel was arbitrary or inconsistent then rather bring that up than something which was clearly correct.
Leeward wrote:It's not a compromise, it's double standards and favouritism, and I'm calling them out as laughably inconsistent because they only act when it suits them or they're asked to.
This is not such a case. You're just making unsubstantiated claims. If you bring up such an incident then we can discuss that but that means actually listening to the other side. I remember one time there was a whole drama because I was accused of being biased against a topic and inconsistently applying the rules, despite the fact that I could point to a thread I made supporting that specific topic and another thread on a different topic where the same rule was applied.
Leeward wrote:I've spoken to people who are barely active here or who have left for various reasons, and they all agree, this forum is ruining the SA fandom experience for everyone with its stupid politics and power plays.
That's the definition of a biased sample. "I asked the people who left the forum and are unhappy with it and they think it is bad."
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Leeward wrote:No wonder people don't come back here.
Faux_Grey, Marotter, Echo_W95, FalconCommand and Kirtaro are examples of furs who returned to the board within the last six months. The point you made is demonstrably false.
Leeward wrote:Once again, not in the first post that was removed. And "clot" is not exactly a huge insult; I could have said "silly" instead to convey the same sentiment.
The very definition you posted highlights that "clot" is informally synonymous with "fool", and I highly doubt you were using the word to mean a literal clump of material, such as blood or leaves.

Nonetheless, if we are restricting the issue only to the post you made, the fuss you are making seems to me to be hardly proportional to the one sentence that was censored and controversial but is now visible. To be frank, it seems more like tantrum-throwing.
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

This reminds me of something I posted on the "forum safety and guidelines" years ago.
It went something like: Don't just throw yourself into the fandom and befriend and trust people just because they are friendly furries.
This turned into an argument with Ryall and Vox about how i am too openly furry in public. (which i am not)

The reason why I mention this is because you cannot have the family you want no matter how well you might admin it.
Furries are naturally inclined to cause trouble it seems.
The place where we behave the best is the IM groups.
Here on the forum we open up more. expect more. a playground. (at least it seems to me)

I was also not impressed with some of the admins that were appointed and already left.
I thought to myself, DID YOU NOT SEE WHAT THEES PEOPLE ARE!? how did you not see this coming?
But there are not allot of sane people volunteering to work here either. (but who can blame them)

Honestly I think we can do with a little less freedome and more piece.

And you Leeward, I have this feeling that you want to be a person of wisdom, advice and importance here on the ZA fandom?
I don't think its worth it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sev wrote:Prior to this, I was trying to make another attempt at possibly becoming friends again, but, now, I don't see that ever happening.
Oh boo-frickin-hoo.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:The point was valid, the unnecessary dig was not. I contemplated leaving that particular post but in the end decided against it as it offered very little to the thread and, judging by your behaviour over the past few months and replies to Sev, it was intended as an insult to him. It would not make sense to remove the off-topic fight while leaving the post that caused it. After that there was absolutely nothing preventing you from making the same point without veiled, or even unintentional, insults.
Then why didn't you edit the post to remove the unnecessary dig, oh wise one? You're so good at merging multiple posts, why can't you do the opposite?
Further there was no explicit information about you provided. What there was was a reference to where you worked which, barring further knowledge of you, could be, and was, by me, taken to be a joke. It's also strange that you now call it sensitive information when it's not particularly different to information you had freely provided before such as while studying and working at the same company as Sev.
Explicit, no. Implied, yes. And it is different to what I could say while studying or working elsewhere, because those didn't require me to sign an NDA.
This was neither inconsistent nor arbitrary.
Of course it was, stuff like this is allowed to slide all the time and nobody bats an eye.
Leeward wrote:It's not a compromise, it's double standards and favouritism, and I'm calling them out as laughably inconsistent because they only act when it suits them or they're asked to.
This is not such a case. You're just making unsubstantiated claims. If you bring up such an incident then we can discuss that but that means actually listening to the other side. I remember one time there was a whole drama because I was accused of being biased against a topic and inconsistently applying the rules, despite the fact that I could point to a thread I made supporting that specific topic and another thread on a different topic where the same rule was applied.
This is exactly the problem - you turn everything into a debate and turn debates into flame wars by irritating everyone, and then get all high and mighty about keeping the peace. You're the problem here. How do you not see that?
Leeward wrote:I've spoken to people who are barely active here or who have left for various reasons, and they all agree, this forum is ruining the SA fandom experience for everyone with its stupid politics and power plays.
That's the definition of a biased sample. "I asked the people who left the forum and are unhappy with it and they think it is bad."
It may be biased but does that make it any less true when they are in the majority? Out of 600+ members, I'm pretty sure less than 60 are regularly active - that means that something like 90% of your user base is either uninterested or dissatisfied. Those from the latter group all say the same thing: it's a toxic environment and it's because of the incompetent leadership.
Galahad wrote:
Leeward wrote:No wonder people don't come back here.
Faux_Grey, Marotter, Echo_W95, FalconCommand and Kirtaro are examples of furs who returned to the board within the last six months. The point you made is demonstrably false.
Faux_Grey came back for all of 6 posts and then promptly disappeared again. Similarly, Echo has also since disappeared.
Marotter has been coming and going ever since he joined.
I know for a fact that one of the reasons FalconCommand came back was specifically because he visited my Leeworks site.
Kirtaro's new profile pic? I made that for him.
Nonetheless, if we are restricting the issue only to the post you made, the fuss you are making seems to me to be hardly proportional to the one sentence that was censored and controversial but is now visible. To be frank, it seems more like tantrum-throwing.
Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. No point denying it. Not forcing you to watch though. You're much too reasonable for this.
Splicer-Fox wrote:I was also not impressed with some of the admins that were appointed and already left.
I thought to myself, DID YOU NOT SEE WHAT THEES PEOPLE ARE!? how did you not see this coming?
But there are not allot of sane people volunteering to work here either. (but who can blame them)
That's funny, I feel exactly the same way about the current admins.
And you Leeward, I have this feeling that you want to be a person of wisdom, advice and importance here on the ZA fandom?
I don't think its worth it.
LOL I don't want to be anything in particular in the fandom. I just happen to be a relatively wise person, and apparently that makes me a guru of some kind.
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Leeward wrote:LOL I don't want to be anything in particular in the fandom. I just happen to be a relatively wise person, and apparently that makes me a guru of some kind.
Splicer-Fox wrote:want to be
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I don't understand what you're saying. I don't aspire to be any sort of authoritative figure, within the fandom or otherwise. The role just naturally suits me and I enjoy being altruistic. I have no ulterior motives or desire for glory, and I don't appreciate it being implied otherwise.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Green Folf

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

As a point of interest, explain what you see as "altruism" in this context? How is what you're doing right now altruistic?

I'm merely interested in wanting to have that perspective fleshed out a little.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Don't be so sardonic, of course what I'm doing right now isn't altruistic. But you wouldn't know that, because according to you I just help people with certain psychological issues.

What I meant by that is the various initiatives I've taken for the benefit of other furs: approaching those who seem troubled and like they could use a friendly ear, giving advice in private to those who ask, answering community-oriented questions on my column, making art for people just because I feel like it, commissioning furry artists to help them out, working on an as-yet-undisclosed furry-related project pro-bono, making custom furry gear at cost, and formerly trying to improve this forum via the community representative initiative, which turned out to be a dead end.

And by all means, go ahead and prove me wrong on that last point. I'll wait.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Leeward wrote:Don't be so sardonic, of course what I'm doing right now isn't altruistic. But you wouldn't know that, because according to you I just help people with certain psychological issues.
This wasn't in any way meant "sardonically" I was asking out of interest, I harbor no ill-will nor have I wanted to. And what I said that evening was not meant to be interpreted in that manner. I misspoke, I've apologized on several different mediums and I've apologized to you over skype (please note that afterwards you did not acknowledge nor speak to me in respect to it. So I assume that you'd rather just believe what you want on that perspective. Which, of course, is your right.)
Leeward wrote:What I meant by that is the various initiatives I've taken for the benefit of other furs: approaching those who seem troubled and like they could use a friendly ear, giving advice in private to those who ask, answering community-oriented questions on my column, making art for people just because I feel like it, commissioning furry artists to help them out, working on an as-yet-undisclosed furry-related project pro-bono, making custom furry gear at cost, and formerly trying to improve this forum via the community representative initiative, which turned out to be a dead end.

And by all means, go ahead and prove me wrong on that last point. I'll wait.
All of these projects are amazing. I am glad that you're doing them and I have no doubt that you will make a success of them. I hope all the best. Once again, I asked out of interest. Not out of spite.

I say this with this in mind though: Text isn't the best medium to have a conversation, where ones intention can be more clear had it been face to face. So if in your eyes I came across as sardonic, I sincerely apologize.
AND THEN THE CAGE COMES DOWN! The cage with the Japanese fighting spiders inside, your mother strikes a match off her forearm and tells you to dance in the front room for money... - Dylan Moran
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Look Ivic... I'm not usually a resentful person, but what you said shocked me so much that I simply couldn't interpret your apology as anything but insincere. I didn't respond because I honestly didn't (and still don't) know how to feel about it. I'm sorry if that makes me seem oversensitive but I'd rather say nothing than say something I might regret. Can you blame me for being wary? I appreciate the vote of confidence though.
Last edited by Leeward on Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ivic_Wulfe
Viridis Spes Vulupe

Post by Ivic_Wulfe »

Understood, but do note that it really wasn't meant that way. If I'd thought that it was anything other than an attempt at praising I wouldn't have said that you should look at it as a compliment on the Compliment the fur above you thread.

That isn't the person I am. But if/when you do want to talk to me about it I'm open.

Anyway, if there's anything more to add to this conversation go ahead. We've derailed a bit.
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

I know I will regret posting here, but I do need to add this in as neutral a way as possible so please take it as such.

Lee - lately your posts have been extremely antagonistic. It is difficult to read anything positive into the tone & delivery of your contributions. It wasn't like that before. What is wrong? It is one thing to contribute positively to a community, which would sometimes involve NOT agreeing with people, but what you're doing is very destructive, both to yourself & the community.

Having been through a very similar fandom experience myself in the past, I can tell you that you are only making yourself unhappy. ZAFur will continue to plod along, for better or worse, with OR without your approval of how things are done. If you feel that the situation is too much to endure then cut ties for your own sake. It isn't worth this level of obvious aggravation.

I am going to be honest here and say that it is the behaviour of forum members, rather than forum admin that puts me off posting more.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Sudan... you're absolutely right. You will regret posting here. :twisted: (Just kidding.)

It's true, I have been rather aggressive here lately. I'm extremely dissatisfied and disillusioned by the levels of apathy and complacency here. If people are happy having playground bullies for admins that's fine by me, but then they don't get to complain about getting wedgies. I, however, am far from contented. Nobody has any initiative here; in fact, initiatives are more often squelched than anything else. Case in point: my experience as CR. This is why I respect and would rather work with people like Tetsudra and Randall: they are proactive. They have the motivation and ambition to do great things, and when problems and naysayers get in their way, they have the guts to figure it out and see it through. All I see here is excuses and petty politics. At this rate zafur is soon going to become a cesspool of the worst sort of trolls, perverts and weirdos, which is terrible for the fandom's image. Maybe I'm subconsciously trying to prevent that, which would explain why I'm being so stubborn. You're right though, why should I care? I'm clearly wasting my time. Maybe it's for the best that this place remain in the hands of power-hungry buffoons. At the very least it'll provide a stark contrast for an alternative.

Also just in case I sounded a little too serious:
73520929.jpg
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

You are openly attacking their character ("power-hungry buffoons", "playground bullies for admins") using the forum they administrate as a platform, and yet not a single post of yours in this thread has been edited, deleted or otherwise censored. In fact, any recent action taken in that category was reversed: your posts in the other thread were restored, despite them falling into a grey area in which their removal could be justified. In my opinion, all that already weakens the idea you are proposing of some sort of dictatorship ruling supreme "squelching" dissent and initiative. I have read through the posts in this thread and the one that initially spurred the debate ("No Whites Allowed"), and the only insulting and name-calling between you and the staff has come from you.
Leeward wrote:Nobody has any initiative here; in fact, initiatives are more often squelched than anything else.
I ask honestly and genuinely: how would you know that no-one has initiative? If I recall, whatever project Randall is engaging in is secretive and, as far as I am aware, nothing explicit has been said of it publicly. (If I am incorrect, please correct me.) That could well be the case here. In fact, I myself am planning on a furry-related art project to be done and showcased over the holidays when I have more time. As for squelching: your "Ask Dr Lee" column used this forum with almost a dozen usable responses - even prompting THIS reply from you, humorously referring to how you were being overloaded with responses. To me, that seems to indicate avid use and support, rather than squelching.

I am inclined to think that you are likely referring to how many, including Ryall and me, disagreed with a commercial idea of Randall's and gave reasons as to why we believe it would be unsuccessful. (I cannot find the thread - if you do and wish to link it, please feel free to do so.) It was just that: sharing of ideas and opinions, including criticism if the idea warranted it. If we had some vendetta against Randall and were adamant on squelching his ideas or initiatives, a thread like THIS would not make much sense - where we provide ideas to supplement his own and promote a discussion around a possible concept that could be commercialized.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

I have not posted, as I wanted to see what the furs think first.

I would like to remind everyone that the admins are open to your comments. We are all furry, and we make mistakes, or get irritated, or have bad days. These things happen. And sometimes we do make bad mod decisions, yes. But if you feel that you have been unfairly treated, PM the mod that did it, they may be willing to reconsider after you've spoken to them. Or PM me, or a CR. We can look at the issue and see if the mod action was indeed justified (and explain it to you), or not, and reverse it. Yes, sometimes my opinion of what is appropriate will differ from yours.

The CRs have taken me to task for things I've done, and I have considered what they said carefully. And corrected what I was doing. After all, that's partly why they are here.

Much more productive IMO than just spreading rumours amongs your friends, or to harbour grudges. Or to shout about how we are evil censors that also manages to do nothing. Speaking to each other and discussing differences is what builds communities.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Leeward wrote:This is why I respect and would rather work with people like Tetsudra and Randall /../ At this rate zafur is soon going to become a cesspool of the worst sort of trolls, perverts and weirdos, which is terrible for the fandom's image. /../ At the very least it'll provide a stark contrast for an alternative.
A stark contrast for the alternative would be great. I assume you mean the alternative is Anthroview and Furry Times. The same pair that published this example of hypocrisy.

Anthroculture goals are calmness, civility and understanding? If that were true then I'd be all for it. But let's look at how Anthroculture and the people you respect as leaders work in practice.

Tetsudra was on the staff here until he resigned after an aggressive rant, attacking and swearing at the users he was supposed to be helping. After that he deleted all his posts, against the site guidelines that he was supposed to be following and enforcing. Then, after years of inactivity in the local community, he comes back, starts making demands of me and sending subtle threats.
If it turns out I misplaced that trust, then things are going to get much more difficult, and I really don't want that.
But let's forgive all that, after all he wants to make furry a positive thing.
I'm doing this because I believe it can be a deeply positive thing, in a world crowded out with incessant negativity - and that if more of us can learn to focus on the good things (and forgive the bad things in eachother), that we can make progress as a whole.
Except that turned out to just be talk because only a week later he was weaselling around with:
Randall's behaviour on ZAFur, as rightly pointed out, does not conform to the standards here on AnthroCulture. In my mind that's not a basis for any moderation action here, and the blowup on ZAFur does not factor into this decision at all. I know some people will see it that way, which is why I'm calling it out.
Except there is a big difference with saying someone's actions on another site are a reason for moderation and saying that someone's conduct does not match your goals, regardless of where it happens. But it's obvious that any pretence of civility and calmness applies purely to interactions on AnthroCulture itself. Apparently it's fine for a representative of that community to insult or attack other furs as long as it happens off site.

Which of course brings us to Randall. There may be things about him to respect. He did get an edition of a magazine out which is a good achievement. But is he good for the fandom's image? Is he a good leader? No. And somehow you don't see this. He was banned from carbonite.co.za, banned from mybroadband, banned from avforums and now is banned from here. You can be targetted in one place, maybe two but he's been banned from at least four forums and you don't seem to think that it has something to do with him. It's always someone else?

His conduct on here went back and forth enough to make Donald Trump proud. For example, talking about me he changes dramatically over just two months.
From this:
Rakuen, I do not know you very well, but, I respect you and I have no ill will nor do I hate you, I think you are a great person, but you need to please work on the way you speak to people dude.
To this:
Miss Special Snowflake that is too special to get banned. How does it feel being untouchable and special? Do you give Rakuen special favors for the privilege level? Or is it that special African way of cronyism.
And this:
Oh wait you're partial to the Rakuen side.
I wasn't the only one who he had a problem with though.
There was this directed at Ravensong:
Every time you post, it makes me want to slit my fucking wrists with a stanley knife.
Or this random insult aimed at Anoyomouse for absolutely no reason:
At least that looks better than the tag the owner of the forum walks around with.
Despite that history he was made a moderator on AnthroCulture on the 8th of August. By the 30th of August he was removed from his position for abusing it. First bit of irony, his abuse was due to bias where he targetted a user he disagreed with and deleted their posts (Isn't that what you complained so bitterly about Leeward?) even though in the AnthroCulture rules discussion page he wrote:
Another rule I want to see, is a rule against bias. I have seen it many times, moderators get appointed and it goes directly to their heads. It is one thing moderating, but quite another censoring free speech because you're the boss.
Even more ironic is that Tetsudra said about Randall:
The reason for removing moderator privileges is an unauthorized post deletion on AC.
The exact same thing he did on ZAFur!

So yes, I am aware of the differences between our approaches. I'm sticking with the one that is not built on continuously attacking and insulting other users. I think the conduct above is what is damaging to the fandom's image. But you're probably not going to listen because you already think we're the problem. You think that attacking users for no reason (remember Brisby?) is positive conduct. You think kicking up a fuss because a user's request for text alignment was fulfilled is positive conduct. And you think it's censorship to remove insulting and off-topic messages from a forum thread.

But think about this picture you posted.

Is that the sort of attitude that makes the fandom better? Is that and the insults and attacks really what will help improve things? But it's out there. I've seen how you and Randall and Tetsudra behave. It doesn't match what you say and it's not something I want any part of. It's out there and others can choose where they stand.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Splicer-Fox

Post by Splicer-Fox »

Furries are a religion of piece.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Galahad wrote:In my opinion, all that already weakens the idea you are proposing of some sort of dictatorship ruling supreme "squelching" dissent and initiative.
Not towards laymembers. In fact it seems rather a double standard; laymembers can do pretty much whatever they want short of breaking the rules and it'll slide. But propose an improvement as a CR and unless it's as trivial as adding a text alignment tag, the answer will almost surely be no. Whether that's because they are opposed to improvements and don't have the knowledge to implement them I'll leave for them to answer.
I ask honestly and genuinely: how would you know that no-one has initiative? If I recall, whatever project Randall is engaging in is secretive and, as far as I am aware, nothing explicit has been said of it publicly. (If I am incorrect, please correct me.) That could well be the case here. In fact, I myself am planning on a furry-related art project to be done and showcased over the holidays when I have more time. As for squelching: your "Ask Dr Lee" column used this forum with almost a dozen usable responses - even prompting THIS reply from you, humorously referring to how you were being overloaded with responses. To me, that seems to indicate avid use and support, rather than squelching.
The only reason Randall is being secretive about his upcoming project is specifically because it is upcoming. Contrary to what the organisers of that convention that's now been postponed twice seem to think, it's usually a good idea to keep your plans under wraps until you're ready to reveal them. As for my column which started as a thread here, the overwhelming response came from the laymembers. The admins had no valid reason to squelch it since it was not breaking any rules, therefore they were neither condoning nor condemning it.
I am inclined to think that you are likely referring to how many, including Ryall and me, disagreed with a commercial idea of Randall's and gave reasons as to why we believe it would be unsuccessful. (I cannot find the thread - if you do and wish to link it, please feel free to do so.) It was just that: sharing of ideas and opinions, including criticism if the idea warranted it. If we had some vendetta against Randall and were adamant on squelching his ideas or initiatives, a thread like THIS would not make much sense - where we provide ideas to supplement his own and promote a discussion around a possible concept that could be commercialized.
That is not what I was referring to. In fact in that particular case I agreed with the general sentiment that it was a rather frivolous idea. Regardless that is not what he is now working on.
Valerion wrote:I would like to remind everyone that the admins are open to your comments. We are all furry, and we make mistakes, or get irritated, or have bad days. These things happen. And sometimes we do make bad mod decisions, yes. But if you feel that you have been unfairly treated, PM the mod that did it, they may be willing to reconsider after you've spoken to them. Or PM me, or a CR. We can look at the issue and see if the mod action was indeed justified (and explain it to you), or not, and reverse it. Yes, sometimes my opinion of what is appropriate will differ from yours.
Kind of difficult to do that when the person you unjustly banned is so disgusted that they have no intention to return, and therefore no interest in rectifying past wrongs. And no I'm not talking about Randall, I'm talking about Grayhound.
Much more productive IMO than just spreading rumours amongs your friends, or to harbour grudges. Or to shout about how we are evil censors that also manages to do nothing. Speaking to each other and discussing differences is what builds communities.
Frankly, since the beginning of this thread, I feel this is no longer about censorship but poor leadership.
Rakuen Growlithe wrote:
Leeward wrote:This is why I respect and would rather work with people like Tetsudra and Randall /../ At this rate zafur is soon going to become a cesspool of the worst sort of trolls, perverts and weirdos, which is terrible for the fandom's image. /../ At the very least it'll provide a stark contrast for an alternative.
A stark contrast for the alternative would be great. I assume you mean the alternative is Anthroview and Furry Times. The same pair that published this example of hypocrisy.

Complete misinterpretation of what that comic is supposed to convey. Firstly, the furry on the left is called GENERAL FURRY VIEW, not ZAFUR VIEW. Do you really think most furs are not like that? I doubt it. I can't blame you for taking it as an insult though, considering how well you fit into the left category. Secondly, the one on the right is called AC GOALS, not AC MANAGEMENT. We never claimed to be irreproachable, or the pinnacle of furry culture.
Tetsudra was on the staff here until he resigned after an aggressive rant, attacking and swearing at the users he was supposed to be helping. After that he deleted all his posts, against the site guidelines that he was supposed to be following and enforcing. Then, after years of inactivity in the local community, he comes back, starts making demands of me and sending subtle threats.
And pray tell what prompted that outburst, hmm? Again, intense frustration at the total lack of interest in implementing any improvements. You drive people insane with your passivity and then blame them when they snap.
Except there is a big difference with saying someone's actions on another site are a reason for moderation and saying that someone's conduct does not match your goals, regardless of where it happens. But it's obvious that any pretence of civility and calmness applies purely to interactions on AnthroCulture itself. Apparently it's fine for a representative of that community to insult or attack other furs as long as it happens off site.
Oh please. You wouldn't give a shit less if I attacked other furs on other platforms, so why should AC care what people do here?
Which of course brings us to Randall. There may be things about him to respect. He did get an edition of a magazine out which is a good achievement. But is he good for the fandom's image? Is he a good leader? No. And somehow you don't see this. He was banned from carbonite.co.za, banned from mybroadband, banned from avforums and now is banned from here. You can be targetted in one place, maybe two but he's been banned from at least four forums and you don't seem to think that it has something to do with him. It's always someone else?
He can be hotheaded, I'll give you that. But he's good at what he does and very dedicated. He also has no ambition to represent the fandom in any way (in fact he doesn't even want to be part of it any more), nor does he wish to lead any initiatives within it. It's therefore not a fair comparison to say he's a bad leader.
His conduct on here went back and forth enough to make Donald Trump proud. [...] Despite that history he was made a moderator on AnthroCulture on the 8th of August. By the 30th of August he was removed from his position for abusing it. First bit of irony, his abuse was due to bias where he targetted a user he disagreed with and deleted their posts (Isn't that what you complained so bitterly about Leeward?) even though in the AnthroCulture rules discussion page he wrote:
Another rule I want to see, is a rule against bias. I have seen it many times, moderators get appointed and it goes directly to their heads. It is one thing moderating, but quite another censoring free speech because you're the boss.
I'm well aware of this, we all chastised him for it. He knows what he did was hypocritical and accepts the consequences.
Even more ironic is that Tetsudra said about Randall:
The reason for removing moderator privileges is an unauthorized post deletion on AC.
The exact same thing he did on ZAFur!
Doesn't that prove that he knows what he did was wrong?
So yes, I am aware of the differences between our approaches. I'm sticking with the one that is not built on continuously attacking and insulting other users. I think the conduct above is what is damaging to the fandom's image. But you're probably not going to listen because you already think we're the problem. You think that attacking users for no reason (remember Brisby?) is positive conduct. You think kicking up a fuss because a user's request for text alignment was fulfilled is positive conduct. And you think it's censorship to remove insulting and off-topic messages from a forum thread.
Brisby has literally never responded to anything directed at him, in fact I'm convinced he's either a bot or a troll, but either way his posts add absolutely nothing of value no matter where he posts (unless you're into his mangled English MLP balloon porn fanfics, which you seem to be). He necroed a thread for no apparent reason for goodness' sake. I made a fuss over the text alignment thing because when I suggested the addition of formatting tags and other features I was shot down repeatedly, and yet when someone else asks it's done immediately. Why the double standard? This isn't about me. You're twisting my words and making me the bad guy when all I'm doing is pointing out the truth, along with my interpretation of it.
But think about this picture you posted.

Is that the sort of attitude that makes the fandom better? Is that and the insults and attacks really what will help improve things? But it's out there. I've seen how you and Randall and Tetsudra behave. It doesn't match what you say and it's not something I want any part of. It's out there and others can choose where they stand.
LOL you're really taking that one hard, aren't you? First of all it's a joke (and a cute drawing), and second of all I see no reason to hide my disdain for you. Maybe under different circumstances we'd be friends, but everything I've seen of you so far leads me to believe that you are the embodiment of everything I loathe. I'm always open to being proven wrong, but you can't blame me for hating you, or expressing as much.
Adagio
Warm Hearted

Post by Adagio »

Leeward wrote: I made a fuss over the text alignment thing because when I suggested the addition of formatting tags and other features I was shot down repeatedly, and yet when someone else asks it's done immediately.
Because I asked nicely.
I didn't go ahead as if it was his soul duty to fullfill my request.

They are people... Not robots.
They have lives. They have jobs. They have their own problems OTHER than the forum.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I failed to see how that extremely provoking image could be considered cute.

Maybe this would also go down as a joke?
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

Whatever disembowels your goat.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I couldn't find one with a cow in it...

And I sure as hell was not going to get one commissioned just to make a point.