Survey: Why do you love or hate online advertising?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Monsigneur
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Feline
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Survey: Why do you love or hate online advertising?

Post by Monsigneur »

Hi everyfur!

I am conducting a survey for a group interested in why 18-35 year olds love or hate online advertising. Some brands get it right and some get it seriously wrong. I personally hate advertising of any kind, but would really like to hear what you have to say on the subject.

Please complete the survey here: https://kwiksurveys.com/s/wsTgRiFg
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Re: Survey: Why do you love or hate online advertising?

Post by Leeward »

A lot of the questions are so vague that I actually have no idea what they're asking... :?
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

The only ads I ever willingly click on are the artist advertisement gifs on fur affinity
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

As a Market Researcher who has done very similar studies, the wording of both question and answer was very, as Leeward said, vague...

This would not pass the QC stage of a Market Research project.

I know you didn't ask for crit but I can't help myself:

You ask how often I engage with advertising on my P.O.P. but how do you define engagement? Is it "How often do you watch an advert full through on your P.O.P.", is it "How often do you see adverts on your P.O.P." or is it "How often do you physically engage, as in click the link, on adverts on you P.O.P.". This question is too broad, I never click the adverts in which case I can technically say I never engage. I see adverts often though so I could also technically say I often engage...

There needs to be a never response to "How often do you share and by share do you mean across other social media?

"Which of the following causes you to MOSTLY ENGAGE on your P.O.P.?" This wording hurt my head so badly and above and beyond that the answers were quite erratic...
"In which of the following ways do you PRIMARILY ENGAGE in advertising on you P.O.P." In your original sentence you don't even clarify that we are talking about engaging in the adverts... I engage in YouTube all the time... I don't engage in adverts, however if I am forced to watch one because it doesn't have skip that's a legit answer.
However if I do stop and watch an advert it is usually because it is visually appealing (or it tricks me into thinking it's something like a music video).

Why do you separate Grade 12 and Completed Grade 12. Most education questions ask for Grade 10, Grade 12, Degree etc. Seems like a very odd way of splitting and could cause double counting.

You need an explanation for the "Agree/Disagree" Section. Again, are we talking about adverts, my P.O.P, Jacob Zuma... it is not clear what you are trying to get me to judge here.
Try having a question statement saying "When thinking about the advertisements you engage with, which of the following criteria do those that hold your attention most incorporate" because currently I could answer it as if it were asked "does a good advert need to have the following?" or "do you feel the adverts need to have more of the following?". You see what I mean right ?

The ones below that were a bit more detailed and I followed those better.

This is just a personal thing but I do like it when surveys have a closing statement usually with a thank you. Yes, you had stuff at the top but it's a nice reminder that you appreciate what we did.

Sorry for this, I genuinely just... I have done so many of these in the past especially on advertising and I know how misleading the results can be if you don't do the questionnaire just right...

anyway I completed it...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

I'll complete the survey when I get the time. But will just blurt out my perception of e-commerce as a whole.

It's a cheap shot at making money at the expence of online users. It has way too little restraint and allows crap services to make good money because no one will use the cruddy websites hosting the adds if the website's service cost 10 cents a month. Because customers don't directly pay it also allows downtime, bad updates, bad response time etc... without taking backlash from their customers.

Advertisment online has adopted clickbait like no other. Ads dressed up as news, In software applications and so forth. Your privacy is also at stake where searches and now even your OS monitors what you spend your time on.

No one is governing it and it's costing bandwith and frustration.

There actually exists a law against click fraud which protects the advertisers and websites from generating false click data as well. The consumer has absolutly no say in all this.

#adsmustfall
Monsigneur
Species: Feline
Region: KZN and Eastern Cape

Post by Monsigneur »

Thank you so much for your input, I really enjoyed reading your comments!

*Rant alert*

In my opinion, a survey is a little like courting. First ask his or her name, maybe what they are interested in and find out where they like to hang out. Then when you have been friendly for a week or two, step up the game and invite them to a mutual friends event or something like that, then maybe a month down the line, let them know how you feel and begin sharing more about yourself and hear what they have to share. Then and only then may be appropriate to ask the real deep questions.

I was asked to distribute as is. I am personally very much a fan of tiny surveys i.e. 3 questions - get to know the person first, and do larger more in depth surveys at another time when you have already given value. Give and only then shall you receive!

*END of mini rant*

@Leeward - True. They are quite vague, but I don't think they are too difficult to handle. When I don't know how to answer, I generally pick a random answer

@Faanvolla - Thanks :) I expect that furs have a particularly different take on this, but thought it would be valuable to find out. Thanks :3

@Ravensong - thanks for your input :) I really like your criticism. Personally I would have worded things differently on the survey, but it was not mine to change sadly - doing this for a colleague. I will certainly keep your points in mind for my next survey, possibly ask your opinion if you have a moment to share, if you don't mind of course *wink wink, nudge nudge

@Frankey - Thanks for your message! You are quite right (IMO) that this is more for personal gain to the detriment of the client or end user. There is so much good that could come from ads, but right now there is a great discrepancy in usefulness and value.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

I never mind! Except on day's ending in Q...
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso