How shocking is this joke?

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.

How shocking was the joke?

I wouldn't have given it a second thought.
81%
Perhaps inappropriate for TV but okay between friends.
19%
Completely unacceptable in any context.
No votes

Total votes: 27
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

How shocking is this joke?

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

I saw an article about a "shocking" and "crude" gay joke that Simon Cowell made on The X Factor. I took the click bait and found that the joke was something I didn't even consider shocking, would happily say myself and wouldn't spend more than a few minutes even thinking about it. Yet it was apparently enough to do an article on and for him to feel the need to apologise. So I want to get an idea of what people here think about it.
It all started when Rylan and his co-host, Matt Edmondston, were getting the judges to pick a front door in order to choose which caller they would be going to for the judges’ Q&A.

As the segment got under way, Rylan remarked: “I love a front door”, only for Simon to retort: “I thought you liked back doors?”

Cue immense shock from Rylan, Simon’s fellow judges, and the live studio audience.

Rylan was praised on social media for handling the altercation like an absolute pro, quipping: “Oh, Simon! Would you like me to show you how much?”
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Re: How shocking is this joke?

Post by Galahad »

I consider myself heterosexual, so perhaps I would have less potential for taking offense. Still, I would hardly call that taboo - and, to be candid, people are rather over-sensitive. It is not even explicit.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Really? I'd have found that quite funny...

People are way too over sensitive...
And even more so on TV...
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

People seemed to be bred nowadays to be overly offended by the smallest of things. What happened to the whole 'sticks and stones' business?

However. If I try to put myself in their shoes, I suppose I can understand... I guess. I think the joke falls under Professor Oak's 'There's a time and place for everything' belief. I mean, people didn't expect it, and that caused them to feel shocked. That shock lead to this outcome.

It isn't worthy of this whole hullabaloo though.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

I find that joke pretty witty actually. I mean, I don't know where exactly the context is, but I'm assuming he made it up on the spot, so well done to him

Should people be offended?
No way!

Seriously, how much better is making jokes about something than outright hating it? Seriously, it doesn't even imply anything bad...
Mew?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Anything remotely noteworthy to write a clickbait article about. It's just sensationalism. :roll:

Personally I thought it was clever and funny, even if a bit crude, but so what? A lot of jokes are crude, and it wasn't homophobic in the least. Kudos to the recipient for not making a fuss about it, unlike so many sensitive snowflakes who would have milked it.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

I at least expected a funny or offencive joke to laugh at.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Meanwhile, under "New Posts"...
Coincidence.png
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

This made me laugh, I've been a similar (slightly, but not much, less public) situation only I was referred to as a dyke, and I still find it frikken hilarious! One day I'll tell ya'll the story.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Western Cape

Post by Sev »

I thought that the response was funnier than the original joke, but it was certainly nothing shocking.
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Man, I love how he quips back. That's what I'd be doing :P
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

I love word play & puns so this geniunely made me laugh out loud! The fact that it was probably made up on the spot makes it even funnier & suggests sharp wit.

I'm lucky that in my relatively multicultural office (a jewish chick, a black guy, a white guy who is very possibly gay & fatty me) we make jokes like this all the time with everyone taking their turn with good grace & no subject being taboo. When we go too far on occassion, we will admit it, apologise & then laugh anyway. God, I love those people!
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Post by Faanvolla »

In my opinion,
The difference between a "good" and "bad" gay joke, is whether the intent is to make fun of homosexuality or not. If the joke is, for example, made by a straight person to another, and the intended joke is "haha get it, cause how funny would it be if you were gay" like being gay is the joke itself, I would consider that in poor taste. It wouldn't be 'shocking' even if it was intended to be homophobic, which this doesn't seem to be.

this joke wasn't shocking, and was probably just blown out of proportion by people looking to complain about anything they can find.
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

If you make a joke or statement which you did not intend to be malicious then don't say sorry, ever. It is a form of a kick for these people as if they have some control over others by being offended.

Well unless you actually care about the person then it is more complicated because relationships are hard.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

The fact that Simon had to apologise for that joke makes me feel uncomfortable.

I don't ever want people to feel like they're treading on egg-shells around me just because I'm gay. I'm not so insecure about it that I can't laugh at a gay joke: on the contrary I find most gay jokes quite funny, and I find it endearing when my friends tease me about being gay, because making light of it shows they don't have a serious problem with it.

Simon and Rylan obviously aren't strangers to each other, so this could be construed as friendly banter. Simon's joke is also alluding to anal sex being a popular choice of sexual activity amongst homosexuals. So what? It's not a secret, and it would be hypocritical of gays - whether they personally engage in anal sex or not - to act indignant and offended at insinuations that they might have anal sex because they are gay.

Gays certainly don't need social justice warriors acting offended on their behalf on this matter.

What a joke indeed.
Hahaha! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ryall wrote:Simon's joke is also alluding to anal sex being a popular choice of sexual activity amongst homosexuals. So what? It's not a secret, and it would be hypocritical of gays - whether they personally engage in anal sex or not - to act indignant and offended at insinuations that they might have anal sex because they are gay.
I actually remember watching a documentary with Stephen Fry about homophobia in North Africa (Uganda, I think it was?), and I distinctly recall him saying (as a counterpoint to being told that sodomy is a sin and therefore gays are sinful) that despite being gay he had never engaged in anal sex, citing manual and oral as alternatives for gay couples.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

While saying, "not all gays do sodomy," short-circuits that religious argument, the point is that there is nothing wrong with sodomy, and people shouldn't feel embarrassed about being accused of doing it. If they do take offense, they are tacitly agreeing with the notion that a large portion of the gay population are doing something wrong. How can you say that, but argue that gays should be treated with the same dignity as any other person?
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

The way I see it, it's the same as being accused of having a tattoo or being divorced: it's inherently not an insult, so shrug it off and move on. That'll take the wind out of their sails more than any counter-argument ever could.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Exactly.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Well, I'm happy to see that everyone seems to agree with me on this. Such a strange feeling.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian

Post by Raven Song »

There seems to be an anomaly in the space time continuum :P
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag

Post by Ryall »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Well, I'm happy to see that everyone seems to agree with me on this. Such a strange feeling.
It's Opposite Day! :p
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

No! Opposite day is on Wednesday!
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

By that you mean it's not on Wednesday, right?