I can't facepalm hard enough.

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Galahad
Region: Gauteng

Re: I can't facepalm hard enough.

Post by Galahad »

I second what Obsidian wrote. The resources have always been available to at least a significant portion of the black race. While the access may still be improved, almost all primary and high schools teach maths, science and biology. I've a hunch that it is more internal resentment, superstition and "guilt by association" fearmongering that are to blame.
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

There is nothing to stopping black cultures from embracing science, or rather there is nothing outside of black cultures stopping them. The majority of these movements such as #BlackLivesMatter will not recognize the failings within their own cultures and instead scapegoat others

Your right. Nothing is stopping them.
The problem is nothing is attracting or shaping them.
It’s not even a consideration outside of being a doctor.

She at least recognises that science is lacking in their culture.
This is why they want to make it more “African”:
So it IS part of their culture.
So that it would be at least a consideration.

It is true because so much of these fields are dominated and pioneered by white people throughout history, that the racist inclinations of these people cause them to avoid it.
If they had “Black scientific celebrities” + “started venerating engineering and knowledge” + “create and consume science based media and subculture” they might start creating the innovators and minds they want in a generation.

This is why I think her goal of getting more native Africans to the big studies is good.
But her hypothesis to why and her approach to fix it is a response that is part ignorance and part racism,
I've a hunch that it is more internal resentment, superstition and "guilt by association" fearmongering that are to blame.
She knows she what’s A science and her people need A science but she does not know what IT looks like or where she can find one.
But she is the perfect picture of what you mentioned and the resulting scientific illiteracy it caused.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Splicer-Fox wrote:It is true because so much of these fields are dominated and pioneered by white people throughout history, that the racist inclinations of these people cause them to avoid it.
If they had “Black scientific celebrities” + “started venerating engineering and knowledge” + “create and consume science based media and subculture” they might start creating the innovators and minds they want in a generation.
That's not entirely true though. Much of early mathematics, geometry and astronomy originated from Babylon, China, Egypt, India, the Middle East, and even South America. The western world unified a lot of modern science, but it originated from all over the world.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Splicer-Fox wrote:It is true because so much of these fields are dominated and pioneered by white people throughout history, that the racist inclinations of these people cause them to avoid it.
One cannot rewrite history to appease the egos of a few who feel humiliated or offended by it. Not just because it would be catering to oversensitivity, but because it would be robbing the great historical figures - Newton, Einstein, Tesla, Descartes, and many other great minds - of the credit that is due to them. However, perhaps I am being subjective.

Now, one might say that the solution is then to create such figures that are black by providing opportunities to deserving black students today, but, if we follow the logic you provide, there are two potential drawbacks to this:

1) It is a logical loophole: Many black students are rejecting scientific careers because there are too few great black role models ("That the racist inclinations of these people cause them to avoid it"), resulting in too few great black role models.
2) What if many black students do not want a career in science and engineering? Again from a strictly logical perspective: Just because they find the history of science to be "racist" does not guarantee they would embrace a career in science if that were not the case.
Splicer-Fox wrote:This is why I think her goal of getting more native Africans to the big studies is good.
I'll have to rewatch the video, but I do not think she wanted to get "more native Africans to the big studies". She wanted to, in her own words, "scratch off" the "big studies" altogether and "go back". In essence, scrap centuries of knowledge and research just because it is not "Afrocentric".
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Low Battery wrote:1) It is a logical loophole: Many black students are rejecting scientific careers because there are too few great black role models ("That the racist inclinations of these people cause them to avoid it"), resulting in too few great black role models.
2) What if many black students do not want a career in science and engineering? Again from a strictly logical perspective: Just because they find the history of science to be "racist" does not guarantee they would embrace a career in science if that were not the case.
This sounds an awful lot like the initiative to get more women in STEM fields. Not only do women tend to prefer other fields, but in STEM fields they face being the minority, resulting in an endless cycle of having more men than women in STEM fields.

EDIT: forgot to align right.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

Manalee wrote:
This sounds an awful lot like the initiative to get more women in STEM fields. Not only do women tend to prefer other fields, but in STEM fields they face being the minority, resulting in an endless cycle of having more men than women in STEM fields..
I agree with you. It highlights one of the most common logical fallacies in general: Assuming a statistical under-representation of a group must necessarily be evidence of discrimination against that group. If a certain group is under-represented, it only suggests that discrimination is possible, not that it is definitely happening. Further investigation would be needed. However, many are happy to fling around percentages as such proof.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Leeward wrote:Not only do women tend to prefer other fields,
Carefull leeward you might.... What the hell is that sound I just heard? Oh it's every feminist sjw trigglypuffing.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

You can't argue with statistics and biology. Equality and equal opportunity are one thing, but expecting to have uniform demographics for everything is unrealistic and doesn't fix the problem.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

Always reminds me of Kenny in south park taking home economics to stay away from everything that can kill him in shop class. XD

People and I mean races, genders, sexes, cultures an average have different tastes. This is what sjw don't understand. I can't stand middle eastern music. Does that make me a bigot?

No it fucken makes me a person that hates middle eastern music. And no one should enforce what you like or find interesting. Wether it's a field you want to study or whatnot.