I can't facepalm hard enough.

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

I can't facepalm hard enough.

Post by Franky »

Yes South Africa, continue your dumb shyte till it's all gone.
Galahad

Re: I can't facepalm hard enough.

Post by Galahad »

I saw this earlier today... Sheer ignorance. On the bright side, it hastens the inevitable loss of public sympathy with the #FeesMustFall movement.
Hogwarts School of Wizardry and Witchcraft - Coming to a university near you!
CyntheWightRabbit

Post by CyntheWightRabbit »

I'm not even going to watch that for fear I'd lose what valuable brain cells I have left. And I'm pretty sure I've got ample grasp of the video without having done so too.

Sometimes I wonder where these people get these ideas, and how they could ever think its a good idea? I mean, surely there should be even an ounce of common sense that tells them otherwise.

Oh wait. I forgot who we're talking about and where we lived. My bad.
Last edited by CyntheWightRabbit on Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm in the lowest form of wit.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

Leë blikke maak die meeste geraas.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Post by Raven Song »

Oh my god... I genuinely want to hit someone... like... Fine, please go for it man, decolonise, get rid of centuries of proven and tested theories, go back to the fucking stone age.

REST. IN. PIECES. AFRICA.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Lol. I saw the title to this thread and was all, "I bet it's that video I saw on Facebook this morning. Yup, just what I expected."

Edit: https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... knowledge/
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Lol. I saw the title to this thread and was all, "I bet it's that video I saw on Facebook this morning. Yup, just what I expected."

Edit: https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.co ... knowledge/
I had the exact same reaction!

This just smacks of the drive to teach creationism alongside evolution in school as an "alternative". No... just NO. It is NOT a valid alternative and neither is a "decolonised" (wtf does that even mean?) version of science!

Could someone please confiscate all those nasty colonised conveniences (cellphones, motorised transport, running water etc) from these kids so that we can help them in achieving their goals of a decolonised society?

Talk about reinventing the wheel...
jacojerb
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: bunny/fox

Post by jacojerb »

LOL

Please, miss, go ahead. Re-invent the wheel...

Thinking about it, they didn't have the wheel before western influence happened. So they'll literally have to re-invent the wheel if they want to western influence
Mew?
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

They would still be living in dung huts had it not been for the Europeans...
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

It is interesting to note the backlash it has received, not only from the general public, but also from those within the #FeesMustFall movement itself. Some have decried it as not representing the movement, and some say that it is a separate issue altogether. To me, this shows how fragmented, disunited and muddled the movement truly is - in that a particular version of it is defended from another version, but both carry the same #FeesMustFall banner.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Those bastards don't know what they want, and what they do agree on is impossible.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

"If I wanted to kill myself, I would climb her ego and jump to her IQ"

This man is my hero :D
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'm surprised that her stupidity justified a 7 min video.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama

Post by Cape_F0X »

Make your own stuff! Stop destroying or charging existing things beyond recognition!

This is how I feel about a lot of things in SA.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

This may not be common knowledge, but when Europeans invaded Africa to enslave and colonise it, the Africans deployed advanced laser rifles, energy shields, and lightning cannons in their valiant fight against the barbarian invaders. It was only through sheer numbers and the sacrifice of millions of European lives that the covetous slavers were able to overwhelm the noble Africans. In a last, desperate bid before the night before the fall of the African sky citadel - the last bastion of power of the once-proud, utopian African empire - the African Elder Hierarchs, or 'witch-doctors' as they were dubbed by Europeans (a term invented by white modernity to discredit African science), inscribed all of their people's vast knowledge onto an ostrich egg. This ostrich egg, hence-forth referred to as the lexicon of power, was teleported by the Hierarchs to Mars, in a bid to preserve their people's knowledge, and stop it from falling into the hands of the malevolent Europeans.

Knowledge of the lexicon of power, and the empire that created it is all but lost, but the West still searches for it. NASA, a dark conclave of Western Modernity, now seeks to retrieve the lexicon for their nefarious masters, and has begun expeditions to Mars. Who knows what ruin humanity will face should the whites find the lexicon?

Scrap pathetic Western science and restore African science to its true glory!

Hahaha, I also knew exactly what this would be about when I saw the thread topic. :lol:

This video triggered VoxLupus. He was so outraged that he started stammering after he watched this video because he was at a total loss of where to begin with everything that is wrong about that video. :P
Hahaha! :lol:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ryall wrote:This video triggered VoxLupus. He was so outraged that he started stammering after he watched this video because he was at a total loss of where to begin with everything that is wrong about that video. :P
I deliberately held off from watching it for a few days after learning of its existence for this exact reason.
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

If it's any consolation, I have seen widespread disbelief and condemnation of that video from people of all backgrounds and races (I bring up race because the woman in the video is clearly trying to make science a race issue) on social media, at work, and on news sites. Even though these may be sheltered environments filled with like-minded people, and I am not seeing a tenth of the reactions out there to the video, I am still willing to wager that this idea (of 'decolonising science') will not gain traction.

I would love to watch reaction videos of people like Bill Nye and Neil deGrasseTyson - who have dedicated their lives to promoting science in education - watching this 'decolonising science video.' Then again maybe I wouldn't want to see that, because it would be cruel and unfair on them.
Hahaha! :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

Ryall wrote:This may not be common knowledge, but when Europeans invaded Africa to enslave and colonise it, the Africans deployed advanced laser rifles, energy shields, and lightning cannons in their valiant fight against the barbarian invaders. It was only through sheer numbers and the sacrifice of millions of European lives that the covetous slavers were able to overwhelm the noble Africans. In a last, desperate bid before the night before the fall of the African sky citadel - the last bastion of power of the once-proud, utopian African empire - the African Elder Hierarchs, or 'witch-doctors' as they were dubbed by Europeans (a term invented by white modernity to discredit African science), inscribed all of their people's vast knowledge onto an ostrich egg. This ostrich egg, hence-forth referred to as the lexicon of power, was teleported by the Hierarchs to Mars, in a bid to preserve their people's knowledge, and stop it from falling into the hands of the malevolent Europeans.

Knowledge of the lexicon of power, and the empire that created it is all but lost, but the West still searches for it. NASA, a dark conclave of Western Modernity, now seeks to retrieve the lexicon for their nefarious masters, and has begun expeditions to Mars. Who knows what ruin humanity will face should the whites find the lexicon?

Scrap pathetic Western science and restore African science to its true glory!

Hahaha, I also knew exactly what this would be about when I saw the thread topic. :lol:

This video triggered VoxLupus. He was so outraged that he started stammering after he watched this video because he was at a total loss of where to begin with everything that is wrong about that video. :P
I can't help but feel that this would make a surprisingly good film.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

There have been quite a few reaction videos to this whole thing... and everyone makes a mockery of these people (well deserved of course). My only sadness is that it labels the University as a poor establishment... it's not the Universities fault...
Franky
The Bad Guy
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox

Post by Franky »

RavenSong wrote:There have been quite a few reaction videos to this whole thing... and everyone makes a mockery of these people (well deserved of course). My only sadness is that it labels the University as a poor establishment... it's not the Universities fault...
This is what I see as well. So this person, (God knows how she got there in the first place cause you don't need to have taken science in school to understand it's value if you're professional enough to enter varsity), Is a bad face and stuff like this gets heard and damages the credibility of those who have studied there.

Even if it gets backlash an employer might just receive the perception that this institution is a joke. I've studied at UJ and can say with all honesty the big south African universities are up to standard with Cambridge, Oxford, Stanford and Harvard. They don't deserve this media and that person doesn't deserve to be there.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

That's not what the official rankings say.

Compare what MIT contributes, and then compare it to what UJ contributes...

Not even in the same ball park.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Sev my cousin got chosen for a position over two Oxford students, and he studied at Wits. Our universities (certain ddepartments more than others) are pretty good and hold their heads up there with international ones.

Heck Onderstepoort is one of the best veterinary faculties in the world!!! And thats part of PU :P
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'm betting that either their grades were not that good, or that there were other confounding factors.

Good on your cousin, though.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I can corroborate Franky and Raven's statements. Some of the departments at Stellies are internationally acclaimed.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Considering this context, I find the following article rather hard to believe: http://businesstech.co.za/news/lifestyl ... th-africa/
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

They make the mistake of thinking academic excellence, cognizance and intelligence are mutually inclusive.

Most engineers I do masters with have no idea of anything outside of engineering :P , and I believe them to be very intelligent.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

I meant that considering that the imbecile from the OP is from UCT, I can't take the statement that UCT has the most intelligent students seriously.
Splicer-Fox
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Fox fennec springbok thing

Post by Splicer-Fox »

I can understand the frustration in the black community.

The grater majority of them are science illiterate and have no cultural drive to become more than a doctor in most cases.
Neil deGrasse Tyson (A black scientist) has commented on the lack of interest in engineering and science among African Americans.

In “most” Western and far Eastern societies science is something that is pushed onto their children.
(Like how the red scare caused all parents in America to buy chemistry sets for their children)
We then go further and venerate it in our movies and books.
The rewards for invention or discovery in these countries also make it a very attractive field of study.

This lady speaking does not understand what she is talking about. (Her superstitious believes make it clear)
But she does understand that there is a great lack among her associates to keep up and take part in the knowledge and wealth of subjects new and old.
But she does not want to look inward for the problem.
Which too they can only mean one thing… White Conspiracy.

She is right that Science needs to become a part of African culture.
(If only a more eloquent person discussed this)
Obsidian
Species: Dragon

Post by Obsidian »

Splicer-Fox wrote:She is right that Science needs to become a part of African culture.
There is nothing to stopping black cultures from embracing science, or rather there is nothing outside of black cultures stopping them. The majority of these movements such as #BlackLivesMatter will not recognize the failings within their own cultures and instead scapegoat others.
It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, especially if you live near him.

Always be yourself..... Unless you can be a Dragon, then always be a Dragon