Online publication bill

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Werewolf
Region: Gauteng

Online publication bill

Post by Valerion »

Galahad

Re: Online publication bill

Post by Galahad »

This also coincides with the appointment of a new public protector. Hm. To be frank, I find it absolutely ludicrous - yet I would imagine that is the consensus of most sensible internet users. As the article states, it will be deliberated in parliament tomorrow, so we cannot be too dogmatic about it until then.

However, to be honest, I cannot see its enforcement being very successful - simply take a look at the public backlash against student fees and, to a much lesser extent, mobile data fees. South Africans tend to be very vocal about perceived injustices, and this would in no way affect only a fraction of the population: we may be a developing country, but Instagram, Facebook, YouTube and Twitter are all commonly used. Friction and tension would be felt very soon after the bill's institution.
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

In the same breath it would be better that such a backlash happens to prevent this from coming to be instead of a reactive pose only when people start feeling the affects.

Either way this has a whole "Kim Jong Un" crazy control feel to it. This is a bit of a crazy step towards a very dangerous type of control of people.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
rusted hydra
Cannibal
Sexual preference: Bi

Post by rusted hydra »

How exactly are they going to stop me uploading youtube videos?

Edit: also isn't this going to stirr up shit with the big corporations that own said sites like youtube? Cause the government is trying to force people to pay to contribute to their sites. Kinda seems like stealing and unless the government gives them a cut I don't think youtube would be happy
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Ziea Ebbon wrote:How exactly are they going to stop me uploading youtube videos?

Edit: also isn't this going to stirr up shit with the big corporations that own said sites like youtube? Cause the government is trying to force people to pay to contribute to their sites. Kinda seems like stealing and unless the government gives them a cut I don't think youtube would be happy
They can't stop you from uploading. But they can then get you on a criminal offence in the future.

To me this is a free speech vs. censorship issue.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)
Region: Other

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Isn't this just a continuation of this discussion from last year? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3307&p=67638
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Rakuen Growlithe wrote:Isn't this just a continuation of this discussion from last year? viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3307&p=67638
It is, but now the bill is on the verge of becoming law. Last year it was still being discussed. We can probably merge them, though.
Galahad

Post by Galahad »

The amendment, dubbed the Internet Censorship Bill, will be deliberated in Parliament on Tuesday and it is, according to the DA, “simply bad news”.

Quote from THIS article
According to this article, the issue was to be discussed in Parliament today. However, after a Google search and a local search on News24 and Financial24, there are no new articles on the issue. That is strange.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf

Post by Valerion »

Normally I would not post party-political stuff, and this is not an attempt to elevate one party above another. But ... since they took the initiative to create an online petition ...

https://www.da.org.za/petition-throw-in ... ship-bill/
Tetsudra
Species: Apathetic

Post by Tetsudra »

We'll be fine.

http://www.itweb.co.za/index.php?option ... &id=155953
Opposing players included MultiChoice, eNCA, eTV, Right2Know, Media Monitoring Africa, the SOS Coalition, the South African National Editors Forum, the National Association of Broadcasters, Google and the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC).
If this bill can get MultiChoice, eNCA and the SABC on the same side, then you know it's not a partisan censorship attempt. This is the same SABC that makes arbitrary decisions on content and airing of political ads, but they too want the Regulatory Impact Assessment to go ahead, because the FPB draft in its current form is basically a piece of paperwork shit.