Quick survey

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Quick survey

Post by Leeward »

I'm doing some freelance research on the topic of human sexuality.
To gather some data I made a survey, which is available here.
Please consider completing it, it'll only take about 5 minutes of your time.
Also if you don't mind sharing it I would be immensely grateful if you did.

Do it for science. I'll give you cake.

SilverFox12578
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Grey Fox

Re: Quick survey

Post by SilverFox12578 »

The cake is a lie! XD... but I'll do it anyway lol! :)
For Science! :D
-Be Crazy
-Be Weird
-Be Awesome
-Be Yourself :)

Telegram: @Silverfox12578. YouTube: SilverFox. Deviantart: Silverfox12578.
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

I added shoe size as well. ;)
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Snow Leopard
Region: Gauteng

Post by Adagio »

I shall be sending you the address of the cake yes?
Sudan Red
Species: Lion

Post by Sudan Red »

Cape_F0X wrote:I added shoe size as well. ;)
You know what they say about men with big feet... *eyebrowwaggle* ... they wear big shoes.
Tocs
The glowing blue panda
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Husky

Post by Tocs »

Do we get a bonus if we identify as a trigendered pyrofox?
For the most part, it is pointless to be sad in life.
Because sad spelt backwards is das
And das not good
Love every stranger, the stranger the better
The darker the night, the brighter I glow!
Cape_F0X
Light-footed
Species: Vulpes chama
Region: Western Cape

Post by Cape_F0X »

The survey doesn't my provision for some of my friends who are attracted to Rooivalk attack helicopters.
Valerion
Alpha Wolf
Species: Werewolf

Post by Valerion »

Cape_F0X wrote:The survey doesn't my provision for some of my friends who are attracted to Rooivalk attack helicopters.
I have long ago on IRC posted about people that are sexually attracted to cars. With images. Haven't seen any attracted to attack helicopters yet.

A quick search on Google reveals a copypasta about someone that sexually identifies AS an Attack Helicopter (not going to link due to the location of the topic), so if your friends have that, I suspect it will be a heterosexual / homosexual attraction. If they identify as human, then I agree that there's a lack of options in the survey.

For reference, Urban Dictionary gives this the name "helisexual". Bit generic, as it covers all helicopters, but yeah.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thanks for the responses (and jokes) so far, I appreciate it.

Just a side note, this survey does not take gender identity (of either attractor or attractee) into consideration, it is deliberately left open for interpretation by design.

Also any human who is attracted exclusively to non-human things by definition does not have human sexuality and therefore would be asexual according to this model, so technically it does cater to all paraphiliae as well. That's not really the point though, those would be outliers by any conventional data model.
Adagio
Warm Hearted
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Adagio »

Ventus Fall
Species: Fur Dragon
Region: Other

Post by Ventus Fall »

Heh, I know the importance of these kinds of surveys, so I helped by filling it in for you ;)
You can also find me on:
deviantArt - FurAffinity - YouTube - Twitch
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo
Species: Wolfdog/Shapeshifter

Post by Trace »

Done. It's interesting to me that a year ago my answers would probably be very different...
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
"Where there's life, there's hope."-Terence
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

Tocs wrote:Do we get a bonus if we identify as a trigendered pyrofox?
You seriously need to stop watching this now Tocs... we are worried..

Going to go fill it in and will pm you dead drop coordinates for my cake!
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Badge wrote:
Tocs wrote:Do we get a bonus if we identify as a trigendered pyrofox?
You seriously need to stop watching this now Tocs... we are worried..
Wait, was that actually a reference to something? Now I'm curious...
"I change shapes just to hide in this place, but I'm still, I'm still an animal" -Miike Snow, 'Animal'
Badge
Species: Badgacat

Post by Badge »

The glowing husky has a cyanide and happiness addiction.
If you take your marker and connect this dot to that one, that one to this one here you will get a really annoyed dalmatian.

The European Badger (meles meles) is known to have a rather large range of vocalisations, though it must be noted he often makes no sense at all.
Trace
Snep's Best Doggo

Post by Trace »

Badge wrote:The glowing husky has a cyanide and happiness addiction.
Ah, I see.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Done. Five minutes? That's quite generous. I see where this is going though: do certain sexual orientations have more libido/ need more regular sexual attention than other orientations?

It could very well be. Consider that the gayness (males attracted to males) is partly as a result of genetics. A combination of genes results in a, "loves-men" orientation. The reason this set of genes doesn't die out is possibly because women who have this set of genes tend to mate earlier, and more often, making up for the men who get these genes and end up gay and not having any children as a result.
To an evolutionary geneticist, the idea that a person’s genetic makeup affects their mating preference is unsurprising. We see it in the animal world all the time. There are probably many genes that affect human sexual orientation.

But rather than thinking of them as “gay genes”, perhaps we should consider them “male-loving genes”. They may be common because these variant genes, in a female, predispose her to mate earlier and more often, and to have more children.

Likewise, it would be surprising if there were not “female-loving genes” in lesbian women that, in a male, predispose him to mate earlier and have more children.
- http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-me ... %E2%80%99/

Not all gays are promiscuous or have high libido though, especially when compared to many straight people. Other factors affect sexuality too such as hormones, birth order and environment. If a 'male-loving' set of genes was a common influence to being gay though, and this set of genes, in women, tended to make them more sexually active, then it would be plausible that on average, gay men would be more sexually active.

Also,
Hahaha! :lol:
Hargan
Species: Foxeh

Post by Hargan »

Whilst I appreciate orientation tends towards genders and such like, it can also be affected a multitude of other factors. Whilst this is a simplistic test and I appreciate it, I don't think the findings will be wholly representative in certain regards, especially when in cases like me, orientation is geared towards a much different state than just genders and such like. Hence, although I tend on the asexual and sexual aversion scales, and towards male over female, these can be easily overridden by the addition of my fetish, which I cannot stress how much it dominates my non-existent sex life :P

As such, at least in my personal view, I don't believe such a small population mixed with such a short questionnaire will really divulge all the answers you're looking for. After all, the term I view myself under (attracted by fetish) is not regarded by general consensus to even be worth adding an orientation status to.

Just a few pointers there whilst being as pg as possible :P
Warning: Has been known to speak his mind

Firm believer in Spiral Power
Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

@Leeward:
First that video made me smile, and now uhm... the ending. I don't know whether to be horrified or sad. Or happy anyways.
This is confusing me!
Thanks for sharing though :P

Edit: I want to add that I've shared your survey on another forums (The Furry Forums), right here: Your Survey :)

@Ryall:
I don't necessarily think just gays would have more libido. I think that the media, which covers the most eccentric people including homosexuals (at least in the few countries I have lived in so far), tend to 'set a standard' for the gay population. While there is no denying there are a lot of gays which are rather outgoing and have high libido, I also think this is with regards to heterosexuals and any other sexualities and genders.
Also, from what I read you would state that it's because of the females that people are gay?
As far as genetics goes, how often has it been that women have been 'blamed' for carrying certain genetics on, whereas it was later disproved? Quite many. Either it was both parties (which is most of the case), or it was actually the male, due to certain dominating factors (for some odd reason).
Basically, I'm saying that if it's genetics, it is because of a combination of genes coming together and forming a person. It's two people who are involved. Whether one of them already has the 'gay gene' (or some other gene) shouldn't matter, as a person is a combination of two people and thus two gene pools, whether or not the chances are increased due to have one or both parents being gay (or any other orientation) or not.

And that comic was hilarious ;D

@Hargan:
I do believe a small population isn't a good representation (unless you're trying to cover the furry fandom as a whole, which already is a small group compared to the general population D: ), but I can't see anywhere they are only trying to get answers from this forum in particular. They do ask to have it shared, they do try to reach as many people as possible.
Such questionnaires can only cover a certain number of questions. It's hard to cover everything, which is why they also included an 'Other' option.
You can also find me on:
Hargan

Post by Hargan »

Ventus:

I'm fully aware, and I note that this is a short survey, as noted. This survey can only really bring forth a very limited amount of information, which I believe Lee was aware of when designing this survey. This isn't meant to be a massive survey that explores every inch, nook and cranny of sexuality (please, help yourself to those puns) . I wished to note that the observations of the survey cannot be used as an end all or a proof beyond the basics. Believe me, some people (though I do not believe Leeward falls into this category, I am hesitant to leave my concerns out) would try to use any information they can get their hands on. So far, all we know is this population is of the furry fandom in South Africa, and that reason alone; that is why my hesitation exists.

Also, I'm not going an all inclusive "Attack helicopter" route, merely stating and noting the limitations of information that can be drawn from such a specifically worded and constrained survey; as well as the fact that under different circumstances, people can change their attitudes and sexuality. The easiest example is alcohol consumption, but it can happen under other situations too (Fetish influence for example).

Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

Hargan wrote:Ventus:
This isn't meant to be a massive survey that explores every inch, nook and cranny of sexuality (please, help yourself to those puns)
Oh god, it hurts XD

And I fully understand :)
If anything, a good research would conclude that the study results show that most people who have answered would be from a certain part of the world, that it doesn't categorise the world as a whole, or the population of human beings as a whole.

I've also shared the survey on a larger furry forum, which has most users from the US and Europe. I've already gotten a confirmation from one user they are filling it in. So, I hope that also helps a bit.

And I totally agree!
That's kind of the hard part about research: It's mostly done in a certain moment (or a summary of various moments). Anything can change in the meantime.
That aside, there are so many terms and conditions and the like, that it's hard to do a full-scale research anyways. It's honestly ridiculous sometimes. So you have all these smaller researches to sometimes be combined to a whole (or not) and then some odd summary forms from it, which perhaps would be different if they were all combined in the first place (does this make sense?).
You can also find me on:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thanks a lot for spreading the word, Ventus. I really appreciate it!

I just want to clarify that I'm not aiming towards identifying trends or correlations of any kind, I am testing a data model I designed. I used the furry fandom as a starting point because furries tend to be more open about their sexuality, and also because furries are generally helpful people (case in point, Ventus sharing my survey). However, this study is not restricted to the fandom. In fact I'd like to see it gather as much data as possible, from across as broad a spectrum of individuals as possible. It's just a bit tricky to get it out of the fandom without posting it as my real self.
Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

Leeward wrote:Thanks a lot for spreading the word, Ventus. I really appreciate it!

I just want to clarify that I'm not aiming towards identifying trends or correlations of any kind, I am testing a data model I designed. I used the furry fandom as a starting point because furries tend to be more open about their sexuality, and also because furries are generally helpful people (case in point, Ventus sharing my survey). However, this study is not restricted to the fandom. In fact I'd like to see it gather as much data as possible, from across as broad a spectrum of individuals as possible. It's just a bit tricky to get it out of the fandom without posting it as my real self.
No problem, Leeward! ^-^
As said, I know it's sometimes hard to get test subjects for research (be it testing a data model or otherwise ;P), so any help I could provide, I'll gladly assist!

I could see if perhaps I can find people willing to share it towards the 'general' public?
You can also find me on:
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

That would be fantastic, thank you. Ideally I'd want this to go viral, but heh that seems like wishful thinking.
Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

Leeward wrote:That would be fantastic, thank you. Ideally I'd want this to go viral, but heh that seems like wishful thinking.
No problem :D
Hehe, well, maybe we can, but let's assume the worst and hope for the best!
Also, when do you plan to test your data model? Any set time?

I've added some information to the topic on the other forum by the way:
"THIS IS NOT A FURRY-ONLY SURVEY.
Please share wherever you can to not only ask other furries, but to reach out to the 'general' public, if you can and want to.
Thank you!"
You can also find me on:
Hargan

Post by Hargan »

Thanks for clarification Lee

Will see if I can get more people to fill it out then n.n

Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Thanks so much! You guys are awesome! ^^

EDIT: no deadline, just hoping to get as much data as possible.
Ventus Fall

Post by Ventus Fall »

Alright, sounds good! :D
You can also find me on:
Ryall
Spotted Scallywag
Species: Hyena

Post by Ryall »

Ventus Fall wrote: @Ryall:
I don't necessarily think just gays would have more libido. I think that the media, which covers the most eccentric people including homosexuals (at least in the few countries I have lived in so far), tend to 'set a standard' for the gay population. While there is no denying there are a lot of gays which are rather outgoing and have high libido, I also think this is with regards to heterosexuals and any other sexualities and genders.
Also, from what I read you would state that it's because of the females that people are gay?
As far as genetics goes, how often has it been that women have been 'blamed' for carrying certain genetics on, whereas it was later disproved? Quite many. Either it was both parties (which is most of the case), or it was actually the male, due to certain dominating factors (for some odd reason).
Basically, I'm saying that if it's genetics, it is because of a combination of genes coming together and forming a person. It's two people who are involved. Whether one of them already has the 'gay gene' (or some other gene) shouldn't matter, as a person is a combination of two people and thus two gene pools, whether or not the chances are increased due to have one or both parents being gay (or any other orientation) or not.

And that comic was hilarious ;D
Hi Ventus, thanks for your consideration. I just wanted to clarify my position.

I was careful to state that I was generalizing and talking about averages here. I acknowledge that many gays have less libido than the average straight person: some have very little libido at all. Conversely, most of the self-proclaimed "sex addicts" we see on the news are straight. And I would agree with you that the most visible gays out there are the flamboyant, outgoing eccentric types. For many, being gay is a very small aspect of one's identity and those types of people tend to go unnoticed. As a result I definitely agree with you that gays are unfairly stereotyped by the media and society in general as being promiscuous, mainly because the promiscuous ones are more 'visible.'

However, very few things in life are equal and I think it would be naive to believe that it is impossible that if you were somehow able to accurately measure libido across the entire straight population, and the entire gay population, that it would be dead equal with that of the straight population. It might be equal, but then again it might not be: we just don't know, but I feel it's important not to get defensive and see this as some kind of dehumanizing attack on gays. It's easy to get defensive and say, "well what you're saying doesn't apply to me or my friends," and defend gays from an idealistic standpoint, but I am just postulating based on that theory that there's a, "love men," set of genes, and that women with these genes tend to be more sexually active. If that is true then we might guess that the men would be more sexually active too, and that would suggest that there might be a slight difference on average, but that difference might only be 1 or 3% across the entire population. It doesn't say anything about you as an individual, and it certainly doesn't suggest we should discriminate against gays in some way.

Also, this isn't about playing some sexist blame-game with women. I am gay, and there's nothing wrong with that. What would I blame women for? I certainly don't resent my mom for me being gay, and I am not saying that these genes are even related to the X or Y chromosomes. Even though my father is straight, the genes still could have come from my father's side of the family, after all, a cousin of mine on his side of the family is gay. That second point just answers the question, "if there are a set of gay genes, why haven't they died out?" The reason is that even though men with those genes are less likely to have children, women with those genes are more likely to have children, and so it evens out and the gene continues.
Hahaha! :lol: