Lets Compare

Any discussion not related to furry goes in here. Politics, religion, current affairs...this is the place for it.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time
Sexual preference: Other
Species: Shapeshifting Anubian
Region: Other

Lets Compare

Post by Raven Song »

Something a certain squirrel said got me thinking...

How does the South African furry community compare to that of an overseas community.

I know a few furs have actually LIVED in other countries, and id like to invite them to share their experiences (as i shall now).

Also i dont discourage anyone who has visited other countries communities to share their experiences (good and bad).

Id like to discourage conversation about the forums because theres a big difference between internet people and real life people, but if you guys feel different then by all means share those as well.

Obviously normal rules apply... no name calling etc. No trolling whatevs.

Also i apologose for any bad spelling from me. I have to use my phone and i turned off the damn friggen autocorrect because it insists Kspore is Aspire and after the fifth try i nearly broke my phone.
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist. Pablo Picasso
Faanvolla
Plaas Brak
Sexual preference: Gay
Species: Dog (Vampire)
Region: Western Cape

Re: Lets Compare

Post by Faanvolla »

I've met 0 swedish furs except my bf, cause I don't yet speak the language well enough so I didn't join up with anyone yet.
After when I do, I'll write my piece on sweden :P
Seize the day, not your bearings.
Steam, Rockstar SocialClub, Uplay, Battlenet: Faanvolla#2539, Telegram: @Faanvolla
Switch Code: SW-0054-4917-1029
DeviantArt,Furaffinity,SoFurry, Weasyl, FurryNetwork
ProfilePic by hanimetion
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

And then i shall come to sweden and steal all the electronics (if youve seen Scandanavia and friends youll get this reference)
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard
Species: Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I never engaged with the fandom in any of the other countries that I've lived in.
Unless you count Ice Bear, I guess.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

So here is my experience of the London community:

I was very fortunate when i got here that id had a previous chat with JM horse, one of the more active members of the community here and what not. He helped me introduce myself to some furs and get myself a little group going. Considerinf at the average meet held every three weeks we have upwards of 50 furs, it is very daunting.
The community here is extremely cliquey, much the same as back home actually, only on a larger scale.
The furs who are into weird things hang with the furs who are into weird things. The furs who draw hang with furs who dont drae to make themselevss feel better unless they are confident in their skill in which case they seemed to gravitate towards Bhav, my friend.
For the most part the community here is as supportive but... its hollow. It lost its closeness a long time ago and its sad.
The one big thing missing from the community here is the csre aspect the SA community has.
When an incident happened in SA once, teo furs drove half way to Klerksdorp to "rescue" a fur. Ive tole this story to my friends here (i think they're friends... i could probably count on JM and Bhav to be there for me, and id be there for them) they looked at me like we were insane. I mean we were but... we cared...

The community here is dark. Because it is so accepting there is a very dark background, and with that comes many problems. For starters its meant the furs have been banned from some places due to yiffing in public and the culprits were both over 30 (actually i think one was younger). Drugs, well i mean London is extremely liberal eith its intake of drugs so ive learnt, and they get done by a lot of furs. One who decided id make a nice girlfriend for him (how wrong he was) literally lives on weed.
London is also very loose on its views of kinks, and as such the fandom is very popular with those of the kinkier subset.

As a whole the fandom here is quite nice. Not ideal, but nice. Its accomodating to a point, something i feel the community back home needs to change. Stop accomodating everyone.
If someone here doesnt fit in, they are dealt with immediately (you should go onto the UK forums banned user thread. Its hilarious).
Franky
The Bad Guy
Sexual preference: Straight
Species: Mortally Challenged Fox
Region: Gauteng

Post by Franky »

Been in good contact with furs across the globe even before i joined zafur.

There is a difference. The communities in the US, Canada and Europe are large enough that groups of people with more simular intrests and viewpoints tend to converse more.

Most people are a bit less serious in regards with furry fandom which is a easier group for me to chat with. Aka less offence gets taken if I make a joke about the fandom etc...

The forums are typically moderated the same from a rules standpoint however there is way more room for discussion about all sorts of stuff even when only a few is online. There are/were (haven't been on recently) absolutly no role plays or yiffy discussions on public boards on Weasyl, FAF and Phoenix. And no chance in hell that people share naked pics of themselves.

There are lines and it seems to me like the bar is a bit higher in those areas than here. From my experience of course.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

When were u last in FA :lol: my friend regilarly posts delfies...

But yes, i agree that due to the size it is easier to find your clique... sometimes its good. Sometimes its not. But it is a valid and enviable point. And not one i am used to yet :D
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Fa and faf are 2 different things. FA has always been a mess with sick twisted public role plays in the comment section. And thanks to devilishlyhandsome people started trying to be as lewd as possible to get on his youtube.

Was a bit of a backfire when he started the comment simulator.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Whats faf (other than a fuss)
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

FAF = FurAffinity Forums

I'm not too involved in the Austrian fandom but from my discussions it's the same here. There are certain groups of furs that do not associate and refuse to go to the same events as one another. The South African community is no different to furries elsewhere in the world.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Fur affinity forums. Though they shutdown last year and restarted after all but 2 mods were banned by the FA staff. Many members moved to phoenix after the storm.
Leeward
Recalcitrant Ruminant

Post by Leeward »

Franky wrote:The communities in the US, Canada and Europe are large enough that groups of people with more simular intrests and viewpoints tend to converse more.

Most people are a bit less serious in regards with furry fandom which is a easier group for me to chat with. Aka less offence gets taken if I make a joke about the fandom etc...
Man how I wish it was like that here. People take themselves and their interests waaaaay too seriously.

Also I've frequented some French furry channels, they all seem super casual about it, much like Franky described.
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I hated the large American forms.
The amount of useless spam that went on there.
Some of the guys were doing 1000+ posts a week...

On one, there was legitimately a thread called "The Lost Poster Wins", and it was hundreds of pages of single word or even single character posts.
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

There's one like that on the UK forum, i forget what the thread is though.

Leeward i think its because they finally find somewhere where people like a certain aspect of their life (furry) and assume they'd like every aspect.
I found it very hard when i first joined the london groups to enjoy myself because i could only get along with a small portion of the convo before it drifted away from what i like/care for.
Ive learned to accept that, its not easy for me, but i have...
(Also didnt mean to make that about me, just meant it as an example)
Last edited by Raven Song on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev wrote:I hated the large American forms.

On one, there was legitimately a thread called "The Lost Poster Wins", and it was hundreds of pages of single word or even single character posts.
That's why faf and phoenix don't let your post count increase int the games and intro boards. ;)

Also last poster wins is ine of the oldest forum games in existance. Here's mybb's current one: http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread. ... azy-people
Last edited by Franky on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rakuen Growlithe
Fire Puppy
Sexual preference: Bi
Species: Growlithe (pokemon)

Post by Rakuen Growlithe »

Franky wrote:
Sev wrote:I hated the large American forms.

That's why faf and phoenix don't let your post count increase int the games and intro boards. ;)
I wonder if I can do that for this forum.
"If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind."
~John Stuart Mill~

“Give me the liberty to know, to utter, and to argue freely according to conscience, above all liberties.”
~John Milton~
Raven Song
Stealer of Time

Post by Raven Song »

Would rhat affect my current post count (a little yes, but not much because most of my posts arent in those threads)
Franky
The Bad Guy

Post by Franky »

Sev will drop down to my level. :lol:
Sev
Superbike Snow Leopard

Post by Sev »

I'm not sure about that, since I don't tend to play many of the games, but WAYDRN might take a pretty big chunk out of it.